LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Body Swap Difficulty

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and am exploring beginning a Cobra project. I've identified the most important thing to me--building the car with my son--thus, buying pre-owned is unlikely. I have average mechanical ability, and no engineering background.

That said, I have a question I wanted to ask--is it possible (read plausible, without unnecessary fabrication, engineering, time, expense, etc.) to swap bodies between kits? For example, say I like the chassis and all other parts from Factory Five, but prefer the body of ERA. How difficult would it be to fit the ERA body on the FFR foundation? Will most bodies fit on most other manufacturers' chassis, or is the bolt-up pretty specific between body and chassis for each manufacturer? Besides body fitment, would other issues or problems arise, such as light, gauge, engine, transmission, exhaust, etc. fitment?

I've enjoyed reading all the info on this forum, and appreciate any input in advance.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZee View Post
For example, say I like the chassis and all other parts from Factory Five, but prefer the body of ERA. How difficult would it be to fit the ERA body on the FFR foundation?
Not a chance. Zero. Nada.
sgianino and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I haven't done this, but I suspect swapping bodies between most will require a lot of fabrication work.

ERA doesn't sell bodies.

John
Old 02-12-2022, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I appreciate the quick responses.

Let me pose another hypothetical: Kirkham makes the aluminum alloy CSX bodies. Could you swap a glass CSX with a Kirkham aluminum alloy skin?
Old 02-12-2022, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Not with average mechanical ability and no engineering background.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Not with average mechanical ability and no engineering background.
That's fair. Basically, my thought was that if the CSX glass and aluminum bodies are identical, or at least bolt together in the same places, those could be easily swapped.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

No, no can do without a lot of frame modification
Old 02-12-2022, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I appreciate the quick responses.

Let me pose another hypothetical: Kirkham makes the aluminum alloy CSX bodies. Could you swap a glass CSX with a Kirkham aluminum alloy skin?
Why would you do that instead of just buying a Kirkham? It's probably not possible to put an alloy Kirkham body on a HiTech fiberglass body. You could probably swap a Kirkham body on to a CSX6000 generation alloy car which are essentially an off the line Kirkham with a CSX badge, but the earlier CSX alloy cars are just as non-interchangeable with anything as the others that have been discussed.
Dwight likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-12-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-12-2022, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Why would you do that instead of just buying a Kirkham? Don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to save 100K. Sure, one might consider that if there was a wreck involved but to discard a Shelby fiberglass body to transplant a Kirkham alloy body you've got something that isn't worth as much as either was before. If you want a Shelby buy a Shelby, if you want a Kirkham alloy car buy that.
I hear you. It's just my nature to run down every rabbit hole prior to making a decision.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And "building the car with my son" won't work. He'll lose interest, the car won't get built, and you'll end up selling it all as a box of parts and partially finished pieces. If you want a Cobra, buy one. But before you do, study the hobby for a year or two.
sgianino and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And "building the car with my son" won't work. He'll lose interest, the car won't get built, and you'll end up selling it all as a box of parts and partially finished pieces. If you want a Cobra, buy one. But before you do, study the hobby for a year or two.
My son is 11 months old. He's entertained easily, and I'm not relying on him to do the heavy lifting.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What he says is so true. Father-son projects are rarely completed by either. Along with a fire sale on all the tools you bought that you would have used only once and never used anyway.
Dwight likes this.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My son is 11 months old. He's entertained easily, and I'm not relying on him to do the heavy lifting.
Then he'll burn himself on the side pipes. Just follow the hobby for a few years and, if you still have the bug then, revisit the idea.
Dwight likes this.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

Boy you guys are rough ! I agree about body swaps, But go to the factory five forum and check out the Eastman kids build , Ed
Old 02-12-2022, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2410
Not Ranked     

Fitting an aluminum body is not a straight forward task and takes a very specific skill set. Also, an aluminum body is going to cost you near or maybe more than a full kit from somewhere like Factory Five.

With regards to the other comments about not finishing it as a father son project. It's just a bit of advisement based on the number of at home projects many have seen never get finished. Building a car is a massive undertaking to do it right. We're wrapping up a restoration of my dad's 72 Firebird that started as a father/son project, were now 15+ years into it. All 3 of us are very skilled, with 2 of us being mechanical engineers and 1 being a machinist. Life and finances get in the way, next thing you know it's got an inch of dust on it.
rads42 likes this.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hear you. It's just my nature to run down every rabbit hole prior to making a decision.
The rabbit hole is not even a start here based on your questions above. Nothing is interchangeable the way you think it is. If you have the $200,000 it will take in parts and fabrication to swap things around the way you want them, just buy a used Kirkham and be done with it.

If you skills are better than just changing a lightbulb, and you can read directions, buy yourself a complete MK IV kit from Factory Five and start your build with something engineered for guys just like you.

Finally, sorry if I sound harsh above, my posts are not meant this way at all. They are cut and dry though, without sugar coating at all, and hopefully will make you stop, look, and listen before going any further.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 02-12-2022 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-13-2022, 04:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@RZee, Please don't feel we're not trying to help, but the guys that posted have been down that road before (Or know people that have), so they know what they're talking about I can give you three examples: Myself being one. A little background on myself. I've raced Sports Cars my whole life (66YO) and know my way around tool's, building & fab work etc. So finding a Classic Roadster 60% built was a "No sweat" paint the body, fit it, install int. changes wheels and done!! (Wring, Drivetrain, Brakes all done) Well, even using my racing friends and they skills that build took 5+years. Another first-time owner, found a built Cobra right color right motor, just looked like a little work to get it "Just Right" WELL again, he's tens of thousands, into getting it just right now, because we didn't know what was correct and the pieces that weren't (Brakes, wiring, suspenion, all needed work). Third story a friend found an unbuilt kit, (Known manufacture) look like everything was there, so he's sent it to a known builder (Of Hot-Rods) They could put a kit Cobra together, and yes they could, but much of the parts that came with it were non-useable Mustang parts, by the time he was done he, along with us two, we could have brought 2-completed cars each, with what we spent on our first one. My advice buy a well built (Completed & Sorted) name brand (FFR, ERA, Superformance,etc) Use the first or second owners' money You're going to get to drive it right away, and trust us, you still will have to work on it, these Cobras like to be tinkered with Hope this helps, Cheers TommyRot.
Vader and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce in Pittsburg make a nice body and might be able to help
Jon
Old 02-13-2022, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

Finally, sorry if I sound harsh above, my posts are not meant this way at all. They are cut and dry though, without sugar coating at all, and hopefully will make you stop, look, and listen before going any further.

Bill S.
This is how I feel about these kits that sit in people's garages and sell second, third and sometimes even 4 or more times. People come here and find that they are incomplete, require lots more skill than they think (it's not like putting together a plastic model) and forget about the amount of time and effort it takes. Plus all the tools and as most that have successfully done it, either have a lift, get one, or wish they had. If you start it when you get it and focus on it it will tie up your garage spot for a year and take you away from your family.

Then you get to start the year-long task of "sorting it out".

Buy a completed car. Start driving it and enjoy it.

On the other hand, if fabrication is what you want go for it, but but be forewarned that if it is your first the Cobra is probably the most difficult "some assembly required" kit to start with. Find a t-bucket. Anything but a Cobra will have a much higher chance of a successful first-time build. Learn the skills on something that is much more forgiving.

Good luck.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-13-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Old 02-13-2022, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Mismatched chassis and body is a recipe for disaster, you’ll wind up with a Franken-cobra that nobody will want. Take the sage advice and buy a complete sorted kit (FFR etc) , or better yet buy a roller ( Superformance etc) and drop an engine in and go.
Dwight likes this.