• 4 Post By Alfa02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2022, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     
Default Good time at a cruise in

My Cheetah had been inop since last August when I discovered a leak that required attention. I finished putting it back together earlier in the week and the weather was great yesterday for the monthly cruise-in held nearby. The Cheetah drew lots of attention and I enjoyed all the car talk with friends and strangers. But my favorite moment was something I had missed since I sold my Cobra about five years ago.

A family consisting of a Grandfather, father and two sons (9 and 7) stopped by. The boys were obviously told to not touch the cars and were very well behaved. The older boy's face had a huge smile and his eyes were in awe of the Cheetah. He asked permission to get close enough to put his head inside the door and look around and I said yes. His dad explained that he was building a first generation Camaro at home and his son loved cars. When we finished our conversation and they were about to walk away I asked the older boy if he would like to sit in the car. He looked at his dad who nodded approval. He said yes and I showed him how to get in. He grinned and photos were taken for a minute or two. I didn't have to tell him not to touch anything - he just sat there. When he got out the grandfather asked if the younger brother could sit in it and I said yes. Dad lifted him into the car and more photos were taken. Dad told me how very special the moment was for his boys and thanked me again. As they started to walk away the older boy rushed over to me and hugged me around the waist. Having raised two sons myself, it was as special for me as the car was for him.

I'm very selective about who I let sit in my car. But I have a soft spot for well behaved kids who genuinely like and respect them.
PJ UPTMOR, Dwight, rads42 and 5 others like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-13-2022, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

That sounds like a great time for you and the 2 boys. Great to see children enjoying the hobby with respect & appreciation. We always let the little ones in the car when we can.
Tommy and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's awesome Tommy! One of the things that I like about driving cars like ours is the people that we meet.
I'm envious that you were able to go for a drive. I'm hating being snowed in. Next year I hope to be someplace warm and have my Cheetah with me.

I just ordered foam. As soon as it arrives I'm going to start shaping a removable hard top for my car.

Take care, John
Old 02-14-2022, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Tommy,

That's great! When I race it is typically an open paddock and I routinely let parents take a picture of their kids in my car. There is one family that was at the US Vintage Grand Prix three years ago that took a picture of their baby boy in the drivers seat. They have ben back each year since to get a new picture of their son in the car and plan on getting one each year until I stop racing. Who knows, maybe I'll sell him the car when I am done.

Letting the younger generation experience our cars is a wonderful way to get them interested. Keep it up!

Jim
Tommy, rads42 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Tommy what a wonderful story And goes to show there are still good people in this world (You & Them). That's the reason, I'm on the site today (66YO) back in 1963 (8YO) @ Pacific Raceways, I was allowed to "Help" the Shelby boys, with the tasks of wiping down the cars, cleaning wheels, anything they asked. I was "Rewarded" with 3-laps with Mr. Ken Miles at the wheel of CSX2129 @ SPEED!! I already was a car kid, but that day I became a "Cobra guy". Thank you, Tommy for posting this and letting me share. Cheers TommyRot. https://www.thespeedjournal.com/ken-...terey-auction/
Tommy, rads42, Sargie and 1 others like this.