Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2022, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim
Can this be done with the Webers installed? I fear dropping something into a cylinder
Old 03-15-2022, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Yes, you can take the main jets and idle jets out without worrying about dropping something down the cylinder. If you want to be cautious, just put some tape over the top of each barrel.

When you re-install the jets and air correctors, just make sure that the jets are firmly attached on the ends. They just slide on. If they feel loose you can just squeeze them a little so that they fit on firmly.

Jim
Bill D likes this.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

Bill
I added a set of Webers to my big block in 2015. At the time, there were four of us in the US struggling to get our systems setup. Philippe Riobe in Miami, Tim Gillespe in Eastern Tennessee, John Hirasaki in Redondo Beach, CA and me in Saint Louis. None of us close enough to physically help each other but we did share a lot of information back and forth.

Not sure if John is still active or not, he was on this forum as "jhirasak". Tim has since moved on but I do have a copy of his notes that you are welcome to.

Philippe is still driving his with the Webers. I was able to get mine sorted out and played with them for a couple years till I came accross an opportunity to switch to an EightStack system. Webers ran ok but were always problematic with air density changes or altitude changes. I was constantly running into this and the fuel injection solved those isses.

The 48IDA's were really designed to be operated at full throttle most of the time. They really don't like idle or transitioning. But with persistence, they can be sorted out. They are extremely critical of fuel level - even to the point that the angled ones from a big block require a different level setting than those that sit vertical. The relationship of fuel level to the holes in the emulsion tubes is what will solve or create the idle and transition problems.

You might try to track down John, he's at least in California and could possibly be within driving range.

I'll be happy to share anything that I have to help you out. Webers can be managed, but it is a challenge and not for someone not willing to constantly tinker with them.

I am not able to attach Tim's notes to this thread. The PDF is 1.6Mb and this forum will only allow a 40k file. Send me your email address via PM and I'll send you a copy. I've attached a picture of my Weber setup - pre-EightStack

Paul Proefrock
Attached Images

Bill D likes this.

Last edited by PaulProe; 03-15-2022 at 06:46 PM..
Old 03-15-2022, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

I bought my Webers from Carbs Unlimited.I’m going to call them tomorrow to see if they have access to what size all the internals are. Then talk to them about my issues.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PaulProe, you certainly had your share of problems. Fortunately, I had much better luck but I also realize I'm not comparing apples to apples. I have a tiny little 289 with 44IDFs and once they got set up nicely, they have run just fine for many many miles. I do feel marked power reduction at elevation, but when I'm starting with puny HP, it doesn't take much of a reduction to be missed. I would surely re-jet if I was going to be at the high elevations for any length of time but since I don't, I just put up with it for the short haul.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

The IDF's are more 'idle' friendly than the IDA's They were actually designed for idle and mid-range where the IDA was designed for all-out performance (full throttle)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I’ve installed 48 IDA Webers on both 427 FE engines and 289 Windsor engines, mostly for street use. There are details that the person installing and working on needs to pay attention to.
1795 likes this.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

i had problem with my MSD distributor so i ripped everything out and replaced with PROGRESSION IGNITION all in one Electronic Distributor.
No more MSD box.
No more bundle of wires to route.
Reads manifold vacuum.
Down load the app for your phone and change your map on the fly while driving.
Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ps: I run 48 IDA Webers! ( all i can say is WOW)

https://progressionignition.com/
Cobrakeith likes this.