Old 03-25-2022, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntcobra View Post
well "slabside" doesn't really describe it accurately, but maybe we could try a different terminology like "flat-edged wheel-flared"? Maybe that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily though. :jekylhyde

Last edited by jolsen42; 03-25-2022 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-25-2022, 12:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Well "slabside" doesn't really describe it accurately, but maybe we could try a different terminology like "flat-edged wheel-flared"? Maybe that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily though.
Shelby roadster works rolls off the tongue a little easier
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-25-2022, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here in the 'Burgh , I heard the kool kids callin' them slabsides since the early 70's, name might have been originated here, since the first cobra was built in the Pittsburgh , Shadyside area. ( boy that last statement outta get things stirring)
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...ras?refer=news
Alfa02, JTMCOBRA and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mr. Bruce. I hope you are well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
here in the 'Burgh , I heard the kool kids callin' them slabsides since the early 70's, name might have been originated here, since the first cobra was built in the Pittsburgh , Shadyside area. ( boy that last statement outta get things stirring)
Old 03-25-2022, 03:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Back in the old days in the "Long, long ago" and we're talking race cars here, 260/289 cars were just Cobras, as in A/The. 427 Cobras were called exactly that 427 Cobra or the Big Block Cobra. Never heard the term Slabside in the 60's-70's, if anything else it was the "Wide or Narrow Fender" Cobra.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
Larry, while I usually agree with you about 110% , but on this I'll have to disagree. I don't believe that it is a term out of the replica world. I've been a fan of the Cobra since it's inception and I can't for the life of me understand how it is derogatory or inaccurate. I believe that it was (not officially) used to differentiate between the 427 and the 260/289 body styles which are strikingly different, and makes sense. They were both advertised as Roadsters. "Roadster defines a vehicle that has an open top, two doors, two seats, and is made for sport.

I think old Billy Shakespeare had stuff like this in mind when he penned "Much Ado about Nothing".

John O
I don't mind disagreement at all! I'm well equipped either way! Fire away!

A few things to point out when the discussion comes up about early/later leaf spring cars. Actual production (current knowledge) of 260 V8 cars accounted for somewhere around 54 cars and not the "first 75" often posted or quoted. There was most likely some overlap as well as 'first in-first out' was not the rule.
Early flares widened by 1/2'' happened at chassis CSX2160 with the switch from 5.5" to 6" Dunlop wheels and side vents added.
Rack and pinion steering happened at chassis CSX2126.
Ford/Essex/Autolite electrics and Stewart Warner gauges replacing Lucas equipment happened at chassis CSX2201.
Point being as there really isn't such a thing as "260 and 289 cars" as changes didn't take place with engine cubic inch change.

The term "Slabside" isn't accurate to describe the body of leaf spring cars as there's no "slab" to it. The side of the car has no truly flat portion to the body at all.
I think some of the original owners that take exception to the term comes from keeping originals original and differentiating them from replicas. They don't want to be lumped into the same group though most replica owners I know always hold originals higher than the most accurate replica. Not sure the rest of the world does though. I understand that! That's just a sense I get having been around and involved with both originals and replicas for decades.

Larry
Old 03-26-2022, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Speaking of overlap in production Cobra's. In all the races that Cobra's were in during the 60s, only one outright first place podium was taken in any FIA race. It was taken by Dan Gurney, at Bridgehampton 1963, the first American to do that in an FIA race. He drove an early 289 with Bishop Cam & Peg steering. He was a great driver!
Old 03-27-2022, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, I'm from New jersey, and like Mr. Bruce I remember the term "Slabside" used in the early seventies. It's not to describe the body, it's used to describe the fender flares. At the edge they are almost squared off flat, hence "Slabside" It is not a disparaging term, it's to differentiate the difference between the 289 and 427 body styles, of which the 289 is the most beautiful.

If that's truly the reason that owners of original Cobras feel as they do, then I think that is just plain foolish. There is nothing disparaging at all in the term.

Yours in Christ.

John O

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post

The term "Slabside" isn't accurate to describe the body of leaf spring cars as there's no "slab" to it. The side of the car has no truly flat portion to the body at all.
I think some of the original owners that take exception to the term comes from keeping originals original and differentiating them from replicas. They don't want to be lumped into the same group though most replica owners I know always hold originals higher than the most accurate replica. Not sure the rest of the world does though. I understand that! That's just a sense I get having been around and involved with both originals and replicas for decades.

Larry
Old 03-27-2022, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
Larry, I'm from New jersey, and like Mr. Bruce I remember the term "Slabside" used in the early seventies. It's not to describe the body, it's used to describe the fender flares. At the edge they are almost squared off flat, hence "Slabside" It is not a disparaging term, it's to differentiate the difference between the 289 and 427 body styles, of which the 289 is the most beautiful.

If that's truly the reason that owners of original Cobras feel as they do, then I think that is just plain foolish. There is nothing disparaging at all in the term.

Yours in Christ.

John O
You don't need to convince me, I understand both sides. I'm only pointing out what I've seen/heard. It's them you'd need to convince.
To me, there is no need to point out or describe the difference between leaf spring and coil spring cars. If you want to get technical and correct, a "Cobra" is a small block, leaf spring suspension car. A "Cobra 427" is a big block, coil spring suspension car. Two different models that don't need any further description.
Larry
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I never found it derogatory, but I've heard this sentiment expressed pretty often...Maybe we can adopt a different monicker:

Cobra Chic
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, coil spring cars were also 289 cars, as in AC289! They were either COB or COX, the C stood for Cobra. Both Shelby and Ford signed off to let AC build Cobra's for the rest of the world, after the initial cars had been Homologated! The first right hand Cobra's used the old factory two letter no X. So they were simply CS cars. C for Carol, (yes they spelled his name wrong,) S for Shelby. I can only picture some big bloke standing there at the ledger thinking to himself, "well, if some bird named Carol, going to put down that many Quid for a ton of Ace's, well, Bob's your uncle!" Later they became COB and COX. C for Cobra, O for other, (meaning other then New York or LA.) B for home market, but generally for most right hand drive, and as always, X for export. The Cobra legend is nothing if not confusing!
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Still wish some one would have put the Slabside name in some publication in the 70s or 80s?
Old 05-22-2022, 10:53 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
Actually, coil spring cars were also 289 cars, as in AC289! They were either COB or COX, the C stood for Cobra. Both Shelby and Ford signed off to let AC build Cobra's for the rest of the world, after the initial cars had been Homologated! The first right hand Cobra's used the old factory two letter no X. So they were simply CS cars. C for Carol, (yes they spelled his name wrong,) S for Shelby. I can only picture some big bloke standing there at the ledger thinking to himself, "well, if some bird named Carol, going to put down that many Quid for a ton of Ace's, well, Bob's your uncle!" Later they became COB and COX. C for Cobra, O for other, (meaning other then New York or LA.) B for home market, but generally for most right hand drive, and as always, X for export. The Cobra legend is nothing if not confusing!
Actually the "C" was the AC series indicator. They had done the "A" series (AEX) and the "B" series (BEX) so the Shelby contract was the "C" series (CSX, COB, etc.) The CS being "Carroll Shelby" would seem to be logical and has become legend, but is not correct if you consult the AC chassis records "bible" (which I have seen).

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Then you know, in the corner on the start of the Cobra series ledger, it says, Carol Shelby, CS! I got schooled on that also, when I thought A, B, and C, stood for 1,2,3. But that leaves the father of the Cobra RS, for RuddSpeed, which if your correct, should have been C, then the Cobra D for small block and E for big block cars. A is for the early AC engine, B for Bristol. I would still love to see who, and why, wrote Carol instead of Carrol! In the AC Chassis, book MKII means coil spring car, but in the leaf spring cars in the AC drawings office and stores! As you know AC was a hobby for Derek Hurlock and his nephew Dennis, so things were pretty loose, after all, they had at least 20 other firms, many with government contracts, which as E Wilson McComb said in his book, AC (Shelby) Cobra, "their fingers in so many pies ---- some of them positively oozing gravy!"