• 1 Post By mrmustang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2022, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help to identify my cobra

I picked up a Shelby Cobra about 6 months ago and am finally going through it and replacing all bushings, ball joints, shocks, etc. I originally believed it was a Contemporary Classics car but ran into some discrepancies with the front end and someone on another forum told me it wasn’t a Contemporary.

I can’t seem to post any pictures yet so I’ll describe the car. It has a tubular frame, 427 SO, Toploader, jag IRS with inboard brakes, dual coil overs on each side, front suspensions appears to be a Mustang II IFS with screw in ball joints and coil overs. Wheel wells are aluminum as is the trunk and engine bay. It has a CCX # on the right side front frame.

If it’s not a Contemporary does anyone have any guesses what other manufacturer built the Cobra this way? I just assumed it had been upgraded at some point and changes were made.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

This will take some pictures of the underside, engine compartment, foot boxes and trunk plus exterior front and back end... You can try posting them to a hosting site and link them here but I think after your post count you should be able to. What method are you using? Select "go advanced" and then use the paperclip to upload. Did you try that?
Old 04-16-2022, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I’ll try and post some that I have.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2022, 02:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

It is a Contemporary Cobra.

Tough to see with my phone, but it looks like a torsion bar car.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-17-2022, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It has coil overs in front with a sway bar.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

CCX# is located on top of the left 4” frame rail between the shock mounts
Jon
Old 04-17-2022, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmccooey View Post
More pictures
Looks like a Contemporary to me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

That is not a Contemporary or it has been highly modified. The front end is not Jag torsion bar or Contemporary set up that used Jag geometry and the same Jag mounting points and Contemporary does not have aluminium inner panels standard (but could have been modified). The frame in the front looks like the main rail is capped while a Contemporary has a cross member. The rear looks like Contemporary as does the low roll bar from an early CCX.

Last edited by Thor maine; 04-18-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-18-2022, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Rear steer? (Rack behind the wheel center line)
If so, that's a rare breed, and would narrow the search way down.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, OP in post #1, states "has CCX number on rt frame rail".
Contemporary with mods?
Old 04-18-2022, 06:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
That is not a Contemporary or it has been highly modified. The front end is not Jag or Contemporary set up and Contemporary does not have aluminium inner panels. The frame in the front looks like the main rail is capped while a Contemporary has a cross member. The rear looks like Contemporary as does the low roll bar from an early CCX.
I beg to differ:

Front end is later Contemporary tubular suspension
Aluminum panels were an extra cost option from Contemporary (listed in sales/build list), out of the three Contemporary 427SC's I've personally owned, two of them had this option.
Frame rails are indeed Contemporary design and layout, as are front knock off hubs (Contemporary spec), upside down door latch assemblies, transmission tunnel, dash, door hinges, short rollbar, carb linkage, even the VW brake reservoir. Plenty of other "tells" if you know what to look for

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I beg to differ:

Front end is later Contemporary tubular suspension
Aluminum panels were an extra cost option from Contemporary (listed in sales/build list), out of the three Contemporary 427SC's I've personally owned, two of them had this option.
Frame rails are indeed Contemporary design and layout, as are front knock off hubs (Contemporary spec), upside down door latch assemblies, transmission tunnel, dash, door hinges, short rollbar, carb linkage, even the VW brake reservoir. Plenty of other "tells" if you know what to look for

Bill S.

Thanks Bill. I’m getting a few people telling me it’s definitely not a Contemporary. I’m far from an expert and that’s why I was reaching out. When I bought it I inspected it and believed it to be a Contemporary. I’ve been trying to get some Contemporary brochures to look up what options were available.

The PO didn’t know much but his history on the car stated he was the 3rd owner. The original owner had it built and used it for racing in the Poconnos. There are some SCCA badges on it but those could be bought anywhere. So I assume that the original owner may have made upgrades for racing. The PO did know that the gas tank was replaced with an extra large aluminum tank (32 or 36 gallons).

Pat
Old 04-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I am with Bill CCX.

All the points he pointed out plus the seats look like CCX and the door cards CCX.
Later CCX did have a coil over option versus the std Jag torsion bar.
Also, the rear area ahead of differential looks like CCX frame transition to me. Very close to mine from the day.

My vote CCX...
Think Power and Performance were also similar but their seats and door cards different.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Are the body header exit holes open at the bottom? That's another CCX trait. I'm with the others, sure looks like a CCX to me. Low roll bar, VW brake reservoir, and many other things.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 04-18-2022 at 09:20 AM..
Old 04-18-2022, 09:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmccooey View Post
Thanks Bill. I’m getting a few people telling me it’s definitely not a Contemporary. I’m far from an expert and that’s why I was reaching out. When I bought it I inspected it and believed it to be a Contemporary. I’ve been trying to get some Contemporary brochures to look up what options were available.

The PO didn’t know much but his history on the car stated he was the 3rd owner. The original owner had it built and used it for racing in the Poconnos. There are some SCCA badges on it but those could be bought anywhere. So I assume that the original owner may have made upgrades for racing. The PO did know that the gas tank was replaced with an extra large aluminum tank (32 or 36 gallons).

Pat
Pat,

Pocono area was my old neck of the woods, PM me some details on the history, and an email address so I can send you scans of the Contemporary sales documentation and order/option/pricelists of the time period.

Bill S.