LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Requesting guidance on insuring a Cobra

Hello to all across Club Cobra!

I would greatly appreciate your counsel on how to insure a Cobra in the U.S.

But here is my additional requirement - I want to insure my two sons on the car. Both have clean driving records but neither has 10 years of driving experience.

The lack of 10 years driving experience proved to be a deal breaker with Hagerty. At any price, much to my surprise, even with me in the car at all times, as if back in the days of supervised driving with a learner's permit etc. The Hagerty rep stated this restriction applies to all Cobras due to excessive HP etc.

I am in the market for a Cobra for my entire family to enjoy. Hagerty was my first choice to insure the car but Hagerty is no longer an option.

So, has anyone been successful with insuring their cars with other providers for a policy that included drivers in their households that are under 25 years old?

This challenge is causing me to re-consider whether such a purchase still makes sense for my family. Or at least the timing of this purchase, which has already been a long time coming. So your insights and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Try the Barrett Jackson insurance. They used to do the AIG Private Client Group but their brokerage has added a couple of other sources.

I suspect the underage drivers is going to be an issue everywhere. And if they do the price shock will also make you reconsider your choice.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

Try calling Midwest Classic Insurance, Auburn IL (888) 271-4000. They specialize in classic, special interest, and antique vehicles. I'm inclined to agree that you're either going to be unable to get insurance for your kids to drive the Cobra or the cost will be far above what you want to pay. Personally I would not allow kids under 25 to drive any hi-hp car, it doesn't take much to make a bad decision ....
eschaider likes this.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

My cobra is insured by State Farm and any licensed driver (no matter their age or relationship to me) can drive my car at the existing policy limits.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Cobra's and young males, still living at home, do not go together well. Cobra's and young males who are now living on their own, still have a very high risk factor associated with the young male driving the car.

To understand the problem all you have to do is search YouTube for videos of owners who bought Vipers, GT-40's, 03/04 SVT Cobra's, Z06 Corvettes, Hellcats and similar cars who crashed their cars within a half mile of the dealership after picking up their new land based missiles.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Build 496 Roush 402R Sterling Gray with Silver Stripes
Not Ranked     

Erie insured mine for a specified dollar value. I have all of my family vehicles and home through them. I just gave the VIN and about $50/mo extra.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Email Robbin Terry at Midewest Classic Insurance. I read about him in these Cobra forums and reached out when we moved states last year. He did a great job AND saved me a ton of money based on the quotes I was able to get.

robbin@midwestclassicins.com is his email.
Blue66, mattbrowne and CompFi like this.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

I have Heacock Classic part of AIG. Agreed value policy. No driver under 25 permitted to drive.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie View Post
I have Heacock Classic part of AIG. Agreed value policy. No driver under 25 permitted to drive.

Even insurance companies know better ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     

I have mine with American Modern, they also insure my 1955 Thunderbird.
Better rates the Hagerty,
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Cobra's and young males, still living at home, do not go together well. Cobra's and young males who are now living on their own, still have a very high risk factor associated with the young male driving the car.

To understand the problem all you have to do is search YouTube for videos of owners who bought Vipers, GT-40's, 03/04 SVT Cobra's, Z06 Corvettes, Hellcats and similar cars who crashed their cars within a half mile of the dealership after picking up their new land based missiles.
Ed has presented sound advice here.
Statistically males under 25 account for a disproportionate percentage
of accidents. It's not always blatant speeding either.

Cobras do not respond like a modern sports car and I've witnessed
young drivers get the begeebers scared out them when the car reacts.

Difficulty finding insurance is the Universe telling you to just wait or pass.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt289 View Post
Email Robbin Terry at Midewest Classic Insurance. I read about him in these Cobra forums and reached out when we moved states last year. He did a great job AND saved me a ton of money based on the quotes I was able to get.

robbin@midwestclassicins.com is his email.
I've been with Robbin at Midwest Classic for years. Great guy, great service. If he can't get you hooked up, highly unlikely anyone else can. Maybe as a last resort you can look into bringing all your cars over to State Farm, and as the previous poster here said, they might insure you as just another car? Hope it all works out for you.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know my State Farm agent would do an agreed upon value. For my Talladega they wouldn't do it based on pictures since it's unrestored. They would work with an appraisal. No mention of age restriction. She didn't like it when I mentioned Hagerty as she really wanted all my business.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I heard that State Farm is going into partnership with Haggerty sometime this year to insure all of their classic vehicles.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

When I bought my Cobra in 2009 Hagerty wasn't taking any new Cobras. They had too many losses (fatal and near fatal injuries) and considered them too risky to cover at all. That's when I went with the AIG insurance (that eventually became the Barrett Jackson branded carrier). AIG had a good deal if you had a mix of older cars (the Cobra was considered older) and newer (I had a 2008 08 Barrett Jackson Shelby GT) and the rates were ridiculously low). Sounds like they've at least opened it up with restrictions.
CompFi likes this.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Hagerty balked at first until i started pulling cars i had ridden in (not driven ) back in the seventies and eighties?
marklotus likes this.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Updating the thread

Just wanted to thank everyone that has responded to my question in the original post regarding options for insuring members of the household under age 25.

To recap, my umbrella policy provider requires all household members be included on every auto policy. Your state might also require it as mine does.

I will update the thread as I learn more. So that members facing similar circumstances in the future have additional resources.

Per multiple recommendations above, I started with Robbin Terry who was both responsive and helpful. But he quoted me the same thing I was already hearing from Hagerty, which will not offer a policy for anyone under 25.

I have moved on to State Farm, as suggested above. My application is currently being reviewed by their underwriting dept.

And I will likely be contacting Progressive next.

I will continue to update the thread with progress, or lack thereof.
MasterAnubis likes this.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompFi View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone that has responded to my question in the original post regarding options for insuring members of the household under age 25.
First question, exactly how old are the "two children", what are their driving history since they got their permit(s) till now?

Second, while you want to be the "cool dad", is it really smart for you to offer a 2,300lb, high powered, loaded weapon such as a Cobra replica to your children without first sending them to a high performance driving school first?
Something like this:
https://www.skipbarber.com/courses/3...chool-formula/

Why a Formula car for instruction, simple, because it has the same handling characteristics as a Cobra replica. No computer controls, great track car, capable of spinning out without much input from whomever is behind the wheel, no matter their previous skill set.

I think you get where I'm coming from.

Bill S.
eschaider likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-28-2022, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post

Not just young males but old ones too, even some girls. Cobras do not discriminate,they will bite anyone at anytime.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

AMIG American Modern Insurance Group has some of the best prices. I just had to make a claim, I got rear ended, I sent them pics and an estimate, and they said good to go just need a pic of the VIN from the shop. Also, they will cover newer "classics" with restrictions that saved $1100/year on the wife's GT350 with declared value.
I used Grundy to insure my unfinished kit, most companies won't. I kept them for 4 years, no complaints, no claims.
CompFi likes this.