19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2022, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     
Default Another Lawsuit? History keeps repeating

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/busines...2k4BAXtsU72MWE
Old 06-14-2022, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

"We are aware that Acedes and AC Cars have commenced trademark infringement proceedings against us for use of the SHELBY COBRA trademark in relation to these cars."

If they are using "Shelby" and/or "Cobra", they are challenging what has been settled in the US. If you look closely, no US company uses those trademarks (or at least they shouldn't be).
Old 06-14-2022, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

That’s the problem, they are Superformance cars and ARE licensed by Shelby Heritage (Carroll Shelby Licensing).
I’m going for a “Cobra” license plate.

Last edited by sunman; 06-15-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Old 06-14-2022, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Different country, different rules...
Old 06-14-2022, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since they have exited the EU Britain is in trade agreement negotiations with 20 individual states so far.
When they sign one with Nevada they will have to respect Shelbys trademark which probably brings them a little cash.

Last edited by sunman; 06-14-2022 at 01:00 PM..
Old 06-14-2022, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As every one knows, Shelby sold the Cobra name to Ford for $1.00, and they have used the name on and off over the decades. So who owns it now? Cheers, Dennis
Old 06-15-2022, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the trademark "Cobra" ist owned by Shelby American Inc., AC isn't allowed to use the word "Cobra" for their product and invented the trademark "AC Cobra" instead . Pretty sure they will loose their lawsuit. This Accedes/Lubinski-bs is so ridiculous

Last edited by peterpjb; 06-15-2022 at 03:14 AM..
Old 06-15-2022, 04:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
the trademark "Cobra" ist owned by Shelby American Inc., AC isn't allowed to use the word "Cobra" for their product and invented the trademark "AC Cobra" instead . Pretty sure they will loose their lawsuit. This Accedes/Lubinski-bs is so ridiculous
I think the situation is much more complicated than that. Shelby sold the name Cobra to Ford, but when Shelby started making continuation cars, I think Shelby sued Ford and there is some sort of joint ownership of the name Cobra between Ford and Shelby. I think Shelby can use only use the name Cobra in regards to the contination cars, but Ford can continue to use the name Cobra for other things and cars that do not look like a Shelby Cobra.

At one point Ford also had like a 50% ownership of AC when Brian Angliss was involved. I know that in the US, the imported cars were called AC MkIV, but I am not sure about this, but I think Brian Angliss was allowed to sell those cars as AC Cobras outside of the US. At some point I think Ford must have gotten out of their partial ownership of AC. So does Lubinsky even have the right to use the name Cobra at this point? Who knows...
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
So does Lubinsky even have the right to use the name Cobra at this point? Who knows...
that is the point, Lubinsky hasn't the right to use the name Cobra, but Shelby has since the late 90th.
Before the rights swapped to Shelby back, Brian Angliss had the rights.

therefore Dubinsky invented the name "ACcobra"

Last edited by peterpjb; 06-15-2022 at 04:31 AM..
Old 06-15-2022, 05:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Remember, the only people who really win a lawsuit are the lawyers.

That is why we have so many of them on this site who own cobras

Bill S.
cycleguy55, Alfa02 and msinc like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-15-2022, 06:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

That is why we have so many of them on this site who own cobras

... and don't know shi* about intellectual property law. (Especially in foreign countries.)
Old 06-15-2022, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It’s Shelby Heritage (Carroll Shelby Licensing) who owns the trademarks. Google it up bottom of page they are listed. They own the trade dress rights to the Daytona Coupe
Mines a “Classic 427” not a Cobra.
American hotrod.
Chopped Chromed and Toasted

Last edited by sunman; 06-15-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Old 06-15-2022, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Clive Sutton Ltd indicates they're being sued by Acedes and AC Cars for use of the SHELBY COBRA trademark, but the article indicates the lawsuit is over replica AC Cobra cars. There's a fundamental disconnect here as to what the lawsuit is actually about (e.g. AC Cobras or Shelby Cobras) and, of course, in order for the plaintiffs to be successfuli in a claim they'll need to prove not only infringement, but also that they own the trademark rights for which they're claiming said infringement.

This won't be settled any time soon and no doubt the lawyers will be the big winners.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The cars in question are the Superformance that he recently started importing especially the fiberglass cars.
Licensed by Shelby Heritage (Carroll Shelby Licensing)
October 13 2010, United States Trademark Trial and Appeals Court settled the matter. Shelby and Ford vs Superformance, civil action number 00-12581-RWZ.
The U.S. has trade agreements with the EU. Britton dropped out. South African cars, this will be interesting. Shelby licensed replicas being sued for being Shelby Cobra branded replicas.

Last edited by sunman; 06-16-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Old 06-15-2022, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

This just highlights the position I have held for most of my business career- if your damn product was that good, you would not have to try to protect it in the courts to make money! It simply means they (AC) can't compete either do to quality, price or performance. So they want to "legislate" the competition out of business or get a "spiff" for the better products so they don't have to work!

And this is someone married to a well respected IP atty!
Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

So when was the last time that Lubinsky actually delivered an actual car to a customer?
Old 06-15-2022, 06:47 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So when was the last time that Lubinsky actually delivered an actual car to a customer?
By "car" you mean a completed, running vehicle? Most of us were in short pants when that happened!
1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-15-2022, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think the situation is much more complicated than that. Shelby sold the name Cobra to Ford, but when Shelby started making continuation cars, I think Shelby sued Ford and there is some sort of joint ownership of the name Cobra between Ford and Shelby. I think Shelby can use only use the name Cobra in regards to the contination cars, but Ford can continue to use the name Cobra for other things and cars that do not look like a Shelby Cobra.

At one point Ford also had like a 50% ownership of AC when Brian Angliss was involved. I know that in the US, the imported cars were called AC MkIV, but I am not sure about this, but I think Brian Angliss was allowed to sell those cars as AC Cobras outside of the US. At some point I think Ford must have gotten out of their partial ownership of AC. So does Lubinsky even have the right to use the name Cobra at this point? Who knows...
I believe
AC cars in Angliss days were allowed Cobra outside US markets.
Ford has long been disconnected with AC, since Angliss days as well.
These things take so long because lawyers perpetuate these affairs as it helps their pockets $.
Unfortunately that is what they do, push that finish line. Sort of like kick the can.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 06-15-2022 at 07:30 PM..
Old 06-15-2022, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is about the EV cars.
Superformance $180,000
AC $232,000
Old 06-15-2022, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ford, Shelby and AC came to an agreement on the Cobra, that after the cars were homologated, AC would provide Cobra's to the rest of the world. The first cars were pure racers, and had the prefix, CS, as was customary with AC, but no badges. The street 289 MKII were COB or COX, C for Cobra, O for Other, (other then LA or NY) B for right hand drive, and X as always, export. The Hurlock's were getting tired of Carroll, so they called the cars, AC Cobra, with the Cobra badge on the nose and the AC script on the boot. The later AC289 had AC script badges front and back. Of course, that was many owners ago! Funny side note, the AC 428 Frua's were prefix CF, Cobra Frua, go figure, since the car was never called Cobra! Cheers, Dennis

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 06-15-2022 at 09:55 PM..