Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4145, aluminum body and Shelby aluminum FE stroker
Not Ranked     
Default tire project- complete!

I am embarrassed to admit that my aluminum-bodied CSX4145 has still been wearing it's original BF Goodrich hockey pucks until yesterday. As crappy as those tires are (even new), the original owner of my car was able to run a 10.7 sec, 127 mph quarter-mile e.t. with them! I thought that was impressive.

I had been perseverating over which direction to go with my tire replacements. Always a fan of the look of the billboard-lettered Goodyears, but I was concerned about all of the comments about tram-tracking, flat-spotting, and fast aging, and so I went with the Avon CR6ZZ tires from Roger Kraus Racing. Still, I wasn't ready to give up on the look of the Goodyears, and I had debated just stencil-painting the Goodyear billboards on, but in the end I used John @CompClassics to transform my Avons into Goodyear billboard tires (roughly). The job was done reasonably quickly, at the agreed price, with great care; also- excellent attention was paid to proper shipping so the tires showed up without damage.

I will tell you that working with John was a real pleasure, and the job his outfit did was top-notch. I am quite pleased with the end result, both in terms of appearance AND handling!

I was concerned about the extra grip throwing some debris up into my aluminum coachwork, so I carefully applied some dense 1/8" foam into all of the vulnerable areas of all 4 wheel wells. I would think this would cut my chances of a ding or bullseye down by about 98%.

I am fortunate enough to have a few assorted automotive treasures, and I am frequently asked which is my favorite to take out. Today I was reminded why I generally respond the way I do: "My Shelby 427 Cobra!"

If any of you are on Instagram and want to see more, feel free to check out my account @dakota_gt

Cobra Avon tire project by William Brunner, on Flickr

Untitled by William Brunner, on Flickr

ALF, 1985 CCX, Sargie and 4 others like this.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I’d love to take credit for the work but it was actually Bella that does the tire transformations and packaged the tireS for shipping. I will relay your kudos and I know she appreciates your positive response.
ALF, 1985 CCX, SFSDFGT and 1 others like this.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Great job on the upgrade. I had the same struggle and ended up going with the Avon's with no regrets. My first cobra had the billboards and they were very scary...

Your garage (if you can even call it that?) and car collection are absolutely amazing - congratulations!!

I do have a quick question. At some point, I would like to enhance my Avon's to look more like the classic Goodyear tire. Is there any reason why you did not go with the more vintage GY lettering and blue stripe like in the attached picture?
Attached Images

Cobrakeith and SFSDFGT like this.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car! The billboard look is fantastic and nice job with the foam under the fenders.
SFSDFGT likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 07-11-2022, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

ALL HAIL "Bella" bravo
CompClassics, SFSDFGT and Alfa02 like this.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

The Blue Streak look rocks!
SFSDFGT and Alfa02 like this.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My Cobra was my favorite car ever too.
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Car looks great with new rubber. You’ll love the Avons. Yes they are sticky. No issues with my fiberglass car but I do hear the gravel kick. Enjoy the drive and compliments.
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I'd do some spats of some kind when driving. My car has "Gorilla Glue " tape strategically placed. It will come off and clean up easy if I wanted to.
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not to side track the OP’s thread but Bella does the early Blue Streak look as well…
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2022, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Love the look!
Just one question.. Are you adopting at this time ?
CompClassics, SFSDFGT and CompFi like this.

M. Krause
Old 07-11-2022, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
Great job on the upgrade. I had the same struggle and ended up going with the Avon's with no regrets. My first cobra had the billboards and they were very scary...

Your garage (if you can even call it that?) and car collection are absolutely amazing - congratulations!!

I do have a quick question. At some point, I would like to enhance my Avon's to look more like the classic Goodyear tire. Is there any reason why you did not go with the more vintage GY lettering and blue stripe like in the attached picture?
Thank you! There is a lower level beneath this, housing a dozen assorted others.

Honestly, I very much liked the Goodyear blue streak tires too, and John wanted to be sure I was certain that wasn't the direction I wanted to go, but in the end it was my son who INSISTED that we go for the billboard look. Kids, right? As if he was footing the bill.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I'd do some spats of some kind when driving. My car has "Gorilla Glue " tape strategically placed. It will come off and clean up easy if I wanted to.
Yes, my plan this weekend is to put some Xpel film on those areas in front of the rear wheels. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2022, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The red ERA car is my friend's car, Craig, and that is my black CSX4370 aluminum car in the background. This is at SAAC47 a few weeks ago at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I have Xpel on the front, along the rockers, and on the front and behind on the rear fenders. You don't even notice it, unless the sun shines on it just right. If you want to, look up the SAAC47 pictures on this site (I believe they are in the Shelby American area), or on the national SAAC site, if you want get a better look at the Xpel on my car, so I glad I did it. BTW, you have a beautiful car. I also considering buying your car before you did, I just happen to like black a little better. My tires are also Avons, and the Goodyear Eagle letters were done by my beautiful wife. Good luck! and Enjoy it!
CompClassics and SFSDFGT like this.

Last edited by 427Larry; 07-12-2022 at 07:42 AM..
Old 07-12-2022, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Larry View Post
The red ERA car is my friend's car, Craig, and that is my black CSX4370 aluminum car in the background. This is at SAAC47 a few weeks ago at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I have Xpel on the front, along the rockers, and on the front and behind on the rear fenders. You don't even notice it, unless the sun shines on it just right. If you want to, look up the SAAC47 pictures on this site (I believe they are in the Shelby American area), or on the national SAAC site, if you want get a better look at the Xpel on my car, so I glad I did it. BTW, you have a beautiful car. I also considering buying your car before you did, I just happen to like black a little better. My tires are also Avons, and the Goodyear Eagle letters were done by my beautiful wife. Good luck! and Enjoy it!

Thank you!

I will check out those pictures! Small world- I've run across a few people who have mentioned that they almost bought my car. It had a few niggles to work through initially, but ultimately it ended up being a fantastic car, at a great price.
CompClassics likes this.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by compclassics View Post
not to side track the op’s thread but bella does the early blue streak look as well…
all hail "bella" :3dsmile:
CompClassics likes this.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Thank you!

I will check out those pictures! Small world- I've run across a few people who have mentioned that they almost bought my car. It had a few niggles to work through initially, but ultimately it ended up being a fantastic car, at a great price.
They all have something to be done when you buy them, and it continues as long as you own them, but it sure is fun! My two CSX3000 cars I used to own, while I appreciate the craftsmanship, and loved having and driving them, they came with a lot of issues. I actually have liked my 4000 cars, the Kirkhams, and my AC1V 427 car the best. Much better quality, and dependability. I like to drive mine, and when I do, I take two-three hour trips or more, and I have taken four day trips in my CSX3000 cars in the pouring rain. Good luck with getting her just the way you want her. They are such a blast to drive.
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Picture 427Larry mentions:

SAAC47 - Has Begun.... Post pics if here
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

John and Bella are a class act! Love the early vintage Blue Streak look...
CompClassics, SFSDFGT and Alfa02 like this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 07-14-2022, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PDUB,

Thank you for the kudos, it is much appreciated!