Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2022, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 347 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Waiting on a car.....thinking about driving school

I finally realized a 3 decade dream of owning a Cobra which re-ignited about 17 years ago. Bought a Unique/Southern Performance combo and waiting for a build...turns out it slipped by about a month.

In my enthusiasm, I have been watching cobra crashes on Youtube and listened to advice on this board about how the car can kill you.

A little bit about me. Current commercial and former Mil pilot. Now in late 50's.....learned to drive a stick, currently ride a motorcycle. Back in the day I had a 1990 Fox Body Mustang 5.0 LS that I used to romp around with.

That car was a hoot, but at 1500lbs heavier than a cobra with just less than 1/2 the horsepower, I realize I need to go back to basics.

Looking for a good driving school to attend. Any recommendations? Do I need to take the school in my car (When I get it) or is it better to learn the lessons at schools that provide their cars and apply said lessons to mine when I get it?

Jakal
Old 08-22-2022, 01:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I would go both ways - start lesson in tin top then when you have gained confidence switch to Cobra for advanced performance driving stuff.

Good luck with new car when it comes - they are a hoot!
Old 08-22-2022, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Look at the former Bondurant school in Chandler (Phoenix).
Old 08-22-2022, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

If there are SCCA Autocross events near you, do some of them. They will let you test and exceed the limits of both your car and yourself in a safe environment. After you've done that several times you will find track day events more fun and you'll have learned some about your capability. . . I'm a bit older former AF pilot who did what you are starting when I was your age. It's fun to learn new skills. But I urge you to save your high performance driving for the track. It's bad enough to embarrass yourself by losing control on a public street, but you'd never forgive yourself if you let your ego injure someone else.

One more thought: The difference between a Cobra and most contemporary cars is not unlike the difference between civilian and older military aircraft. Civilian cars and aircraft are deliberately designed to limit how much trouble the operator can cause. For example, you can't press hard enough on the gas or brake to cause the tires on a Honda Accord to lock up and cause loss of directional control. In order to maximize maneuverability in all directions, older military aircraft and old race cars leave it up the the operator to decide when to limit the control inputs. Thus a typical Cobra can break the rear tires loose by either pressing on the gas too hard OR lifting on the gas too much at the wrong time. There are few limits to what you can TRY to do with a Cobra. So its up to you to know when to not press too hard.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 08-22-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-22-2022, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
If there are SCCA Autocross events near you, do some of them. They will let you test and exceed the limits of both your car and yourself in a safe environment. After you've done that several times you will find track day events more fun and you'll have learned some about your capability. . . I'm a bit older former AF pilot who did what you are starting when I was your age. It's fun to learn new skills. But I urge you to save your high performance driving for the track. It's bad enough to embarrass yourself by losing control on a public street, but you'd never forgive yourself if you let your ego injure someone else.
The class isn't about how to drive high performance on the street. It's about learning what to do when the inevitable Cobra rear end scoots out from under while turning left at an intersection. In particular, Bondurant's class (the 3 or 4 day one) spent half a day on the skid pad.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Tommy's idea of Auto-xing is your best bet, for first timers. I've raced for 40+years (SCCA) and taking your Cobra to a track day first is not the way to go. 1- Cobras are just way too fast for a first timer to track, (A small block Cobra can pull 150MPH+ down Pacific Raceways, and PIR Portland front straights, and nothing to save you, no ABS, Traction control, etc.). An Auto-x, you may get to 50-60MPH, the difference of a 100MPH is between your life & death, a spin @ 50mph, and a spin @ 150?? I used to take my (Street) cars to track days to find they're quirks (240Z, Rx-7, 911S) even in the day (much better reflex's & reactions, in my 20-40's), I'd think twice about tracking a Cobra first time out. Be safe not sorry. Back in the vintage racing days with my Alfa GTV, a friend asked if I'd like to race his 67 427 Corvette coupe, in a big bore race, as I was thinking about buying the car, so I said yes. Now the top speed is only maybe 20MPH more on the straight (140 vs 160mph) the power & torque of that 427, was HUGE. Coming out of turn 9 with the Alfa flat out in 3rd @ 100mph, the Vette still 3rd gear @ 100mph, but you're feathering the throttle to keep the wheelspin down. Found out "Big Bore" cars are a whole new world to get used to, I loved it, but found a whole new appreciation with our Momentum cars (Under 2-liter) trying to catch the big bore cars. Cheers Tom.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I'm not an Autocrosser but would agree that it's a great way to learn and experience the limits. It's like a dynamic skid pad with directional changes.

A driver's school will teach a lot about the general concepts and techniques but once you get your Cobra everything will change. Make sure there isn't a long delay between the class and receipt of the car.

The SCCA track nights are a great way to learn with instruction, ride alongs, might even get an instructor to ride with you yelling out instructions. Most instructors want a roll bar for themselves, selfish I know, most Cobras only have one.

There's another thread about spinning a Backdraft, follow this.

And the one most important thing, make sure your brain is fully connected to the skinny pedal on the right. This is the only safety that you have any control over. It's a fully useable, bi-directional analog switch - learn modulation. Learn when you can push it down and at what rate and when you can lift and at what rate.

Enjoy your new car... with great respect.

Jim
Old 08-22-2022, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

It is hard to appreciate the torque and horsepower advantage that those 'big bore' NASCAR 427's had over their 'little bore' Euro racing engine competitors until you either experience it or see it. When you watch the clip below, go to the 1:20 point on the video.

The two fastest cars at the race that day were the #1 qualifying, red number 77 Ferrari on the inside of the front row and the #2 qualifying, dark blue (I think) #72 GT40 driven by Bob Bondurant. The Ferrari had one of those über alles 12-cylinder Ferrari engines, and Bob only had an eight-cylinder NASCAR 427.

Watch Bob vs. everyone else, including the #77 Ferrari, as they come out of turn #1 at race speed. It brings back some warm memories about those days and that NASCAR 427. If there were ever any doubt about it, Bob's performance reaffirms just how potent those old 'big bore' NASCAR engines actually were.

Here is the link => 1965 Daytona Continental go to time stamp 1:20 (1 minute 20 seconds)

PostScript: Bob did forget that it was only the first lap on the big oval and then onto the inner road course before exiting back onto the big oval ...
twobjshelbys, Alfa02 and hauss like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 08-22-2022 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Added PostScript
Old 08-22-2022, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
It is hard to appreciate the torque and horsepower advantage that those 'big bore' NASCAR 427's had over their 'little bore' Euro racing engine competitors until you either experience it or see it. When you watch the clip below, go to the 1:20 point on the video.

The two fastest cars at the race that day were the #1 qualifying, red number 77 Ferrari on the inside of the front row and the #2 qualifying, dark blue (I think) #72 GT40 driven by Bob Bondurant. The Ferrari had one of those über alles 12-cylinder Ferrari engines, and Bob only had an eight-cylinder NASCAR 427.

Watch Bob vs. everyone else, including the #77 Ferrari, as they come out of turn #1 at race speed. It brings back some warm memories about those days and that NASCAR 427. If there were ever any doubt about it, Bob's performance reaffirms just how potent those old 'big bore' NASCAR engines actually were.

Here is the link => 1965 Daytona Continental go to time stamp 1:20 (1 minute 20 seconds)

PostScript: Bob did forget that it was only the first lap on the big oval and then onto the inner road course before exiting back onto the big oval ...
Way cool video!
Old 08-22-2022, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In particular, I thought you and a few of the other guys would get a kick out of it also, Tony. I know I did.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shelby clean sweep.

Bondurant had a brain fart and the GT40 still "won"!!! What surprised me was the Daytona Coupes (they called them Cobras) were in the hunt.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed, like we say "Nothing beats Good 'Ol American Cubic Inches" Jerry Grant was well-known Northwest racer, we were rooting for him & Dan. Cheers Tom.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Shelby clean sweep.

Bondurant had a brain fart and the GT40 still "won"!!! What surprised me was the Daytona Coupes (they called them Cobras) were in the hunt.
It was a complete dominatioin of the class, Tony. Of course Bob was never a shrinking violet but to miss that first turn into the road course and then thump everyone by the end of the race is nothing short of astounding. The cars and the drivers were giants and in a class of their own.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duplicate Posting

Last edited by eschaider; 08-23-2022 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Duplicate Posting
Old 08-23-2022, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gurney's PaceSetter would probably have won big time if it hadn't broken down. Never heard of the car before.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Smar,t have had 11 second street cars, novas, mustangs , corvettes, have 565 hp Cobra you have to respect them, get the feel of it lots of parking lots not on the street, i find not the power but the short wheel base is hard to get used to
Old 08-23-2022, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 347 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks guys

Exactly the kind of information I was looking for!
Old 09-08-2022, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am doing some lessons at my driving school, but I am still doubting what car to buy, so we are on the same shore. Besides, I need some help with writing for sociology since I have a lot of papers to do for my faculty.

Last edited by EricKeller; 09-19-2022 at 07:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2022, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It depends on how you are driving and what you prefer. I am a student, and my AC Shelby Cobra with a Ford V8 engine is fit ideally for me. Moreover, for a teen guy like you, it will be an impressive instrument for all girls) Concerning the sociology help, I recommend the https://essays.studymoose.com/apa-paper-writing-service because it saved my studies during my driving lessons. That is the best APA paper writing service because it provides experts, and their professional skills saved my time and good grades.

Last edited by VanessaCain; 09-19-2022 at 07:25 AM..
Old 09-09-2022, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I certainly would recommend driving school for anyone without road racing experience but...
I suspect that the majority of incidents come from unexpected trailing-throttle behavior. Make sure that your instructor is aware of your special needs, and after you get your car on the road, doing some acceleration/trailing throttle tests in a safe area.