• 2 Post By RodKnock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2023, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Anyone move from Commiefornia to South Carolina

I know this is a long shot...

From all my poking around it seems everywhere else guys register these things as 65 fords, which elicits pictures in the mind of the DMV worker of something akin to Jed Clampets old rig. This apparently sails right through the SC Property tax and DMV folks...

UNFORTUNATELY in Cali mine is registered under its build year (2003) with coveted SB100 exemption.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

i've also read that under no circumstances mention that it is a replica or kit car?

There are no liens or anything on the car.

Thanks
Steve H
Old 02-06-2023, 04:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
I know this is a long shot...

From all my poking around it seems everywhere else guys register these things as 65 fords, which elicits pictures in the mind of the DMV worker of something akin to Jed Clampets old rig. This apparently sails right through the SC Property tax and DMV folks...

UNFORTUNATELY in Cali mine is registered under its build year (2003) with coveted SB100 exemption.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

i've also read that under no circumstances mention that it is a replica or kit car?

There are no liens or anything on the car.

Thanks
Steve H
Technically, as a 2003, it is now 20 years old, as such, even as a kit car, you are looking at a personal property tax of $35-$60 annually.

Bill S.

PS: I was worried about my "vintage" cars when we moved here, my 69 GT500 Shelby fastback, $27/year in personal property taxes. Cars ten years and newer will be higher...2013 Subaru Legacy was $271/yr last year......Again, just as an example.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-06-2023, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

OP you are obviously struggling with a particular issue and its impact on your ability and perhaps cost to register in SC. While we are pretty good at guessing, why not tell us the issue and the impact you are attempting to mitigate.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
OP you are obviously struggling with a particular issue and its impact on your ability and perhaps cost to register in SC. While we are pretty good at guessing, why not tell us the issue and the impact you are attempting to mitigate.

Having purchased several cars in California and titled them here in SC, including my SPF 289 Roadster (SB100 car), there are no issues....SC is about as laid back as you can be when it comes to such things. Plus, no state emissions or inspections baloney or government overreach.

Personal property taxes on vehicles is what scares people the most, as most states do not have such a thing. SC was the first state I had to deal with this.

Again, this is a decreasing annual tax, the older the vehicle, the less tax you pay, until you get to their base minimum of $26/year (2023 minimum). Nothing earth shattering, nothing as scary as the CA BAR calling you to have your car spot inspected.

Bill S.
tortuga likes this.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Issue

Quote:
The point was that in most cases guys register the cars as a 65 FORD, which is understandable to a tax collector, its in the book just pick a model, they are all nearly 60 years old, so junk from a tax collectors perspective. When you say Superformance, it wont show up…
Old 02-07-2023, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Great info thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Having purchased several cars in California and titled them here in SC, including my SPF 289 Roadster (SB100 car), there are no issues....SC is about as laid back as you can be when it comes to such things. Plus, no state emissions or inspections baloney or government overreach.

Personal property taxes on vehicles is what scares people the most, as most states do not have such a thing. SC was the first state I had to deal with this.

Again, this is a decreasing annual tax, the older the vehicle, the less tax you pay, until you get to their base minimum of $26/year (2023 minimum). Nothing earth shattering, nothing as scary as the CA BAR calling you to have your car spot inspected.

Bill S.
Thanks Bill!

I am so so looking forward to living in a red state! Just hope and pray that it stays that way! Don’t worry im not bringing ANY of this California insanity with me…
Steve H
RAZOR, jolsen42 and Igofastr like this.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The point was that in most cases guys register the cars as a 65 FORD, which is understandable to a tax collector, its in the book just pick a model, they are all nearly 60 years old, so junk from a tax collectors perspective. When you say Superformance, it wont show up…
I am not certain that once registered as a 2003 you can reregister it as anything else. Of course SC may make a provision for that. If they do, you are basically required to follow their registration provisions. I don't believe there is any way around those registration requirements in their state. Bill's point about the car already being 20 years old may also be worth something with their DMV folks.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am not certain that once registered as a 2003 you can reregister it as anything else. Of course SC may make a provision for that. If they do, you are basically required to follow their registration provisions. I don't believe there is any way around those registration requirements in their state. Bill's point about the car already being 20 years old may also be worth something with their DMV folks.
Not the DMV, but the county tax office where the OP is moving to....At 20 years old, the annual personal property tax should be well under $100/yr, no matter what year the car is registered as.

Bill S.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Bill!

I am so so looking forward to living in a red state! Just hope and pray that it stays that way! Don’t worry im not bringing ANY of this California insanity with me…
Steve H
With Biden’s low approval ratings and his age, the dems may not want him to run again. And that opens the door for Newsom.
You think California is bad, wait till he does it to the whole country.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Not the DMV, but the county tax office where the OP is moving to....At 20 years old, the annual personal property tax should be well under $100/yr, no matter what year the car is registered as.

Bill S.
You're right Bill, County Tax Office. Mis spoke — my bad.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Wow Cali to SC?

Moving from the bluest state to a red state will be an eye opener.....
Old 02-09-2023, 12:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Wow Cali to SC?

Moving from the bluest state to a red state will be an eye opener.....
Depending where the OP is moving here in SC will determine if he has truly left the madness behind. There are certain areas that are quite “progressive”. Thankfully, most people moving here don’t want to change things, but instead attempt to acclimate themselves quickly.

Bill S

Old 02-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Don't let the door hit you on the way out (of CA).
John Baker and maurice19 like this.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Congrats...

on the move! Whatever hassle you get in SC will pale in comparison to way-out west!!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 02-12-2023, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The regulators here in Saskatchewan, Canada are hawkish that these cars must be registered as the year in which they were first complete and road ready. In my case that's 1991. I've also been told they're going to go through their records and correct some of the replicas that were incorrectly registered in prior years as '60s Fords or Cobras.

While the standards don't require my car to meet 1991 emissions standards it needs to meet other applicable standards. Examples: centre high-mounted brake lamp, backup lights, side marker lamps, reflectors (front, rear and side), etc. Thankfully there's no requirement for airbags, ABS, defrosters, etc.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 02-12-2023 at 12:51 PM..
Old 02-13-2023, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default God i hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
With Biden’s low approval ratings and his age, the dems may not want him to run again. And that opens the door for Newsom.
You think California is bad, wait till he does it to the whole country.
Notice the one guy in the red shirt? Thats how many of us feel, not enough though.
Attached Images