21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2023, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
No this is simple bullying it comes from the same few guys.
I’m calling it out.
It’s called the a hole at the keyboard syndrome.
Get a life and post some build pix.
Sunman is 100% dead on. I didn't insult anyone until insulted. I never liked bullies. In fact most of my fights in school were with bullies who were picking on smaller or the new kid. The old man was right. "You run into a bully or bigger kid messing with you. Give them your best shot right in the nose. You might get your ass kicked but I will guarantee you one thing. It will be the last time as they will find someone who will not fight back." True dat!

I understand guys protecting their turf. I am sure I would get along great with Alfa and Mustang if I wasn't attacked. I get the cars at coffee guys out of control thing. This was not that but hey lots of key board warriors everywhere these days. Guys will stay stuff here they would not have the balls to say face to face but such is life post fake Covid.

I had a Z car back in the day and loved it. I'm a gear head and yes I have street raced a bit back in the day. Growing up in the cornfields of the mid-west there wasn't a lot to do but cruise and race cars on a lonely 1/4 mile strip of asphalt between two soybean or cornfields. Only the locals new it exited and that the start and finish were clearly marked but most people could not see them. Stop sign you lined up side by side and raced to the reflectors on both sides the road making field entrances. Well people thought is it was but it was the strip as we knew it. No houses or roads that intersected. Only clue was the black marks side by side launching south. Only damage was a few rutted-up fields or a few rows of lost corn. One of the kids who lost it racing there it was his uncles farm, lol.

Alfa I lived in WA for 25 years. I was part of the start of ERTC in Redmond. We banded a few yahoo's over the years. Living under the rain shadow we have mutual car friends. If you do local car shows you will know Mike and his Red Countach, say hello. Enjoying the car and sorry if a little tire spinning is illegal and but chirping only is allowed. No one was endangered and or anywhere remotely close to that but I get the images in your heads of a young punk side ways, smoking the tires one hand on the wheel flashing the hookem horns signs to the crowd. Relax that didn't happen and wouldn't happen but I get your point sir. Do I enjoy my cars on the street more than 98% of the mutant commuters out there, dam straight. Do I speed, they don't call me Tommy 10 over for nothing. I came out of the womb with 2 points. The thread is about loud exhausts, and it was a loud exhaust story. Ligthen up.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
Sunman is 100% dead on. I didn't insult anyone until insulted. I never liked bullies. In fact most of my fights in school were with bullies who were picking on smaller or the new kid. The old man was right. "You run into a bully or bigger kid messing with you. Give them your best shot right in the nose. You might get your ass kicked but I will guarantee you one thing. It will be the last time as they will find someone who will not fight back." True dat!

I understand guys protecting their turf. I am sure I would get along great with Alfa and Mustang if I wasn't attacked. I get the cars at coffee guys out of control thing. This was not that but hey lots of key board warriors everywhere these days. Guys will stay stuff here they would not have the balls to say face to face but such is life post fake Covid.

I had a Z car back in the day and loved it. I'm a gear head and yes I have street raced a bit back in the day. Growing up in the cornfields of the mid-west there wasn't a lot to do but cruise and race cars on a lonely 1/4 mile strip of asphalt between two soybean or cornfields. Only the locals new it exited and that the start and finish were clearly marked but most people could not see them. Stop sign you lined up side by side and raced to the reflectors on both sides the road making field entrances. Well people thought is it was but it was the strip as we knew it. No houses or roads that intersected. Only clue was the black marks side by side launching south. Only damage was a few rutted-up fields or a few rows of lost corn. One of the kids who lost it racing there it was his uncles farm, lol.

Alfa I lived in WA for 25 years. I was part of the start of ERTC in Redmond. We banded a few yahoo's over the years. Living under the rain shadow we have mutual car friends. If you do local car shows you will know Mike and his Red Countach, say hello. Enjoying the car and sorry if a little tire spinning is illegal and but chirping only is allowed. No one was endangered and or anywhere remotely close to that but I get the images in your heads of a young punk side ways, smoking the tires one hand on the wheel flashing the hookem horns signs to the crowd. Relax that didn't happen and wouldn't happen but I get your point sir. Do I enjoy my cars on the street more than 98% of the mutant commuters out there, dam straight. Do I speed, they don't call me Tommy 10 over for nothing. I came out of the womb with 2 points. The thread is about loud exhausts, and it was a loud exhaust story. Ligthen up.
My posts were not an attack, just a personal observation based on your posts. Newbie or not, you only get once chance to make a first impression on most, here, or face to face. In your case, you did not but your best effort towards that goal.

I’ll leave it at that.

Bill S
Ron61, twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-10-2023, 07:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

First off let me say @Laughing_Jakal I look forward to us meeting up, in the near future, and yes, Karl (AZ) said he be happy to get you a ride and believe it or not I trust his driving (90K plus miles just on his ERA). @Redvettex2, we all seem to get along fine, till you did something, that 90% of the rest of us won't do (Showing off on the Street ) We don't need ANY bad publicity (High power Sports Car, goes into the crowd, leaving a car show and kill's 3) One thing you may learn from owning a Cobra "You don't need to prove you or car can do what it looks like it can do" (Everyone) know a Cobra is as BADASS as it look's. If you would have said, "Ok my bad", it would have been dropped, and never brought up again, but for some reason you doubled down, and made it worse than it should have been. I have nothing personal against you, I would have brought it to anyone attention's that posted that, and same for the other guys that have been around Cobras for a while. We really like to keep the new guys around, as some of us age out, hopefully I have a few more years left behind the wheel. If you were to read the first-time poster's, the guy's that have been around for a while, they all tell you/them to take it EASY at first till you understand the Cobras quirks, and there are many. I've Road Raced for 40+years, and my Cobras demand my FULL ATTENTION, even on the street. I hope this clear's up any idea we were against you, we weren't. On a lighter note, ERTC, isn't ringing a bell with me? I belong to or have belonged to SCCA, IRDC, Sovern (16years vintage racing my Yellow Alfa GTV, Car 02) Bremerton Sports car club, Jag, Porsche (NW PCA Region), Z-Cars Northwest, and host of others since the early 70's, so I'm sure we have mutual friends. Cheers Tom.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

It's been my experience that when two people are arguing a point and one or both descend into personal insults and name calling, it means they have given up on winning the original argument. In the argumentative part of this thread I believe there are two points to debate. The first is whether or not it is a good idea for anyone (regardless of how they rate their own driving skills) to engage in what some state laws define as "exhibition driving" on public roadways. The second point is whether it is a good idea to share stories about exhibition driving on this particular forum. In my opinion the answer to both questions is no.

My reason is the same for both points. Whether a driver is highly skilled or just lucky at that moment, exhibition driving or stories about it tend to persuade people who likely don't have skills to try it too. In an earlier post I mentioned a young pilot who died trying a maneuver he was not yet ready to try. He did it because he had heard other more experienced pilots talking about ignoring the rules because it was fun and they could handle it. He couldn't, but his ego got the best of him.

I look at it this way. If Lewis Hamilton is out in his Ferrari and a stranger in his McLaren pulls along side and wants to race, Lewis can handle it. But he has no idea how skilled the other driver is. Putting that other driver's life at risk for the sake of his own ego seems foolish to me. A mature man would not do that IMHO.

So, getting back to this thread I have one more point to make. If someone criticizes my ACTIONS it is not the same as criticizing me. If I believe my actions were justified, I'll either explain why or ignore them as poorly informed critics. If their criticism makes me rethink either my actions or my choice of words in describing them, I will respond accordingly. I believe there are many areas where reasonable people can respectfully disagree. Allowing the other person to disagree with me doesn't mean I agree with them. It simply means we each get to make up our own mind.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Tommy, you gotta quit making sense. It takes the fun out of the thread.
Ron61 and Tommy like this.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Tommy are those A/C and heater bulkhead connections I’m seeing in that sweet ride?
That is nice if so, can you buy it somewhere?
Old 03-10-2023, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
Tommy are those A/C and heater bulkhead connections I’m seeing in that sweet ride?
That is nice if so, can you buy it somewhere?
I bought mine several years ago off Ebay. I recently saw one just like it on Amazon.

BTW, I discovered that there is a small adapter needed to attach a standard -10AN fitting to a #10 AC fitting as on my bulkhead. I spent three hours searching and talking with three Technical Advisors, none of whom knew how to mate the two fittings. I subsequently discovered 4 Seasons part # 16749 which does the job.
sunman likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Jakal View Post
.Its a 289 FIA style and the purists won't like it because it will be in street trim with under car exhaust and a grill....no numbers or stripes (cause I'm neither a race car driver, or pose as one). I plan on driving the ever-loving daylights out of it....gentle, gentle for a long time. If I ever take it to the track....I'm gonna ask for help here and be all ears.
I don't think there are a lot of purist here when it comes to kit cars. Here is a photo I have posted before of an ERA 289 FIA in street trim like you are talking about, really stunning! Cheers, Dennis

Buzz, HBW and redvettx2 like this.

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 03-10-2023 at 09:41 PM..
Old 03-10-2023, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 347 CI
Not Ranked     

Harpoon...Gosh that car looks good!
Old 03-12-2023, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Golly, I thought the fact that I liked the street versions made me somewhat more of a purist. Another delusion vanquished.
Attached Images

Buzz, kevins2, Alfa02 and 2 others like this.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Golly, I thought the fact that I liked the street versions made me somewhat more of a purist. Another delusion vanquished.

Dan,

Relax, you are still delusional, just not in regards to the Cobra

Bill S.
DanEC likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-12-2023, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It makes you more of a connoisseur, then a purist! Love you car, that's the way I would do a big block! Cheers, Dennis
Old 03-12-2023, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All the chrome on the green one makes me think of a 58 Corvette.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hmmmm...

Quote:

very nice color on the Vette! Looks familiar... is it correct for the year?

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-13-2023, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Street Cobra's have a very elegant style to them. Love the look. Nice 66 too. Had a red on red BB coupe.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post

very nice color on the Vette! Looks familiar... is it correct for the year?
It’s 30+ years old DuPont Sunfire Yellow lacquer for 66. It’s pretty much spot on in color but takes on some hue shift in different intensity of light. That was the only picture I had of the ERA on my iPad. I need to take some more pictures of it.

Thanks

Last edited by DanEC; 03-13-2023 at 05:37 AM..
Old 03-15-2023, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
It’s 30+ years old DuPont Sunfire Yellow lacquer for 66. It’s pretty much spot on in color but takes on some hue shift in different intensity of light. That was the only picture I had of the ERA on my iPad. I need to take some more pictures of it.

Thanks

Yes, Dan, a lot of those older colors had hue shifts in different lighting! Made it very hard to find the color for my car! Yours looks a lot like Ford Sunlight yellow... great color!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear