Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Group Buy On AVON CR622 Tires (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/146685-group-buy-avon-cr622-tires.html)

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 08:17 AM

Group Buy On AVON CR622 Tires

Ok guys, if you want AVON tires, we may have a great deal on the AVON CR6ZZ from Sasco Sports. They would be interested in a "Group Buy". I've had these for several years, even one for the GY billboards. I never used mine, but there too old now. We need at least....6 sets to purchase. They will let me know on what the price would be, the more people we have, the better price we get. I'm going to get these on other website forums. So if you're definitely wanting the Avons, let me know asap to get on the list !

https://i.imgur.com/Jg4gPJb.jpg

Sycraft 02-28-2023 09:21 AM

2- 225/60/15 and 2- 295/50/15 may be interested

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 10:11 AM

Sounds good.

mvanhorn8893 02-28-2023 11:12 AM

2 - 225/65R15 and 2 - 295/50R15 I might be interested.
Could you email me info at:
mvanhorn8893@gmail.com

Blas 02-28-2023 11:12 AM

I’m interested, but I know those tires throw a lot of stones in the wheel wells. Would probably want to add the padding to prevent paint damage.
Blas

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvanhorn8893 (Post 1515127)
2 - 225/65R15 and 2 - 295/50R15 I might be interested.
Could you email me info at:
mvanhorn8893@gmail.com

We won't get details until I get a lot of us on the list. The more we get the better.

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1515128)
I’m interested, but I know those tires throw a lot of stones in the wheel wells. Would probably want to add the padding to prevent paint damage.
Blas

I agree, I got some even with my GY Eagle ll GT tires though.
Stone's and bugs LOVE Cobras. :LOL:

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1515128)
Blas

What padding do you use ?

SFSDFGT 02-28-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNFER2 (Post 1515135)
What padding do you use ?

Here is what I did, and has worked very well so far:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...ml#post1508441

Blas 02-28-2023 03:05 PM

I’ve done nothing to date with padding. Just making note that it’s necessary m.
Blas

CompFi 02-28-2023 03:11 PM

Great idea for the group buy. Thanks for organizing.

I would jump in on the order but hoping to get several more miles out of my Avons. I do love them though.

And I do have padding in my wheel wells and spats on rear fenders for the occasional rock.

mrmustang 02-28-2023 03:11 PM

Avons=overkill for the street, if you are not planning on racing, a simple Cooper Cobra will do just fine. In addition, driving under 50 degrees is not recommended. This directly from friends who deal directly with SASSCO the distributor.

Avons for the track, 100% recommend them.

Just saying.

Bill S.

CompFi 02-28-2023 03:12 PM

Deleted my dual post

Not so informative so as to warrant repeating ;)

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSDFGT (Post 1515137)
Here is what I did, and has worked very well so far:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...ml#post1508441

Great, I'll read it tonight !

twobjshelbys 02-28-2023 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515140)
Avons=overkill for the street, if you are not planning on racing, a simple Cooper Cobra will do just fine. In addition, driving under 50 degrees is not recommended. This directly from friends who deal directly with SASSCO the distributor.

Just saying.

Bill S.

And the exact same applies to original style Billboards...

By the way, there are plenty of tire/car combinations that don't recommend operation under 50*. The Ford GT and GT500s are among them even stating so in the operators manual.

But the point of this is that some of these barely-street-legal tires are just barely street usable.

My observation is that the acceptability is directly proportional to the size of the rocks you're willing to have the tires throw against your rocker panels and rear fender skirts.

Nebraska, like Colorado, is well known for the use of sand/gravel (or "Grit" as the guys on Top Gear called it). I didn't drive my Cobra any appreciable distance until after the first few spring rains.

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515140)

Just saying.

Bill S.

Hey Bill, you are correct for 80% of Cobra owners, but I and the other 20%, with my 750 (+/-) HP/TQ, I'll need traction. Some drag, road course and heavy street use the Cooper Cobra tires wouldn't be worth any price. A lot of us don't drive our open cockpit cars, don't drive the car under 50 degrees.

If I do, I'll warm them up before going on a thrill ride. ;)

venum14 02-28-2023 07:05 PM

Options

I would be interested if a good price could be offered for a set. I am currently running Avons sized at 245 & 295's and they are definitely the best DOT tire for these cars. Since I am in CA, Kraus racing is close so I may not realize any group savings due to the high cost of freight.

I have been on the fence as I need new tires. I am looking at $3,000 for a set of Avon's including mount & balance. Due to the low miles I drive and tires aging out before worn out, the return on investment is tough to justify. I know losing control of the car running with poor quality tires greatly offsets the high cost of Avons.

This brings up my next tire possibility: Cooper Cobras 245 & 295 are sized very close to the Avon's. Mickey Thompson's are not even close. The Cooper 245 is made in Mexico and the 295 in USA so at least decent materials are used.

I spoke with Tire Rack and they can shave the Coopers from 11/32" tread depth to 6/32" to greatly improve dry traction and reduce tread squirm. The shaved Cooper's will never match the Avon's but I don't track the car and if they wear out in 2-3 years they cost me less than $900.

FUNFER2 02-28-2023 07:47 PM

Hi Jeff, it's taken me months,....to decide on the tires. Do I go low cost for like, Coopers at $800 to $2000 for the Avons ? Track/street tires ?

I really wanted the GY billboards, but their a bias-ply and still pretty expensive. So, I'm going to get the Avons and purchase the rubber glue on letters reading Good Year Eagle. Plus, with my 527 stroker producing around 750 HP/TQ, I need sticky shoes.

Not the stickers as I've read a lot on complaints of them peeling off.

bmwdb10 03-01-2023 06:38 AM

I have Avons on both cars, Cobra and the GT. The rears on the GT are thin and need to be replaced. I only need a pair of 295s. Will that qualify for a group buy?

FUNFER2 03-01-2023 08:26 AM

You can ask them when the price is set and ready to buy.