21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MK1, 347ci, T5, 8.8 3.55 Torsen. 3 link rear
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post

based on that, perhaps there is a nice Corvette in your future? Might fit the bill a bit better... just sayin'.
Why would I be here if I wanted a Corvette?
Old 04-05-2023, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmatts View Post
Perhaps you can elaborate on why your choice would be a GM power train in a Ford product?

It's your money and you can spend it any way you want, but those that have been here for a long time can attest to the fact (and yes, it's a fact) that Cobras with a GM power train will (1) take a long time to sell and (2) sell for significantly less when they do.

And some day, you'll want to sell.

If you're doing it because you want the worry free attributes of a modern power train then go for a Coyote. But they have the same attributes of the GM by about 25% less.

Cobras are supposed to creek, groan, rumble when at idle, smell horrible and all those other things. Plus finding someone to work on it for you is getting increasingly difficult because the old farts that understand 60's engines are almost all dead so being handy yourself is almost a requirement (some like Jay Leno have an old fart that does that for him). If you don't want a car that does that then maybe a Corvette works better.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MK1, 347ci, T5, 8.8 3.55 Torsen. 3 link rear
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Perhaps you can elaborate on why your choice would be a GM power train in a Ford product?

It's your money and you can spend it any way you want, but those that have been here for a long time can attest to the fact (and yes, it's a fact) that Cobras with a GM power train will (1) take a long time to sell and (2) sell for significantly less when they do.

As you said my money, my choice and because that's what I want. The FFR Roadster is an FFR product, not a Ford product. 1) I don't care about resale 2) I don't care about resale.

I care about access to parts and price. I can access Chev stuff more readily and cheaper. I care that it's smaller and marginally lighter.

Oh and enough about the Corvette for Pete's sake. I'm not buying a Corvette. I don't want a Corvette. What is with you guys? Why would you try to talk someone out of a Cobra who wants one, just because he doesn't want a Ford engine in it?

Last edited by tmatts; 04-05-2023 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-05-2023, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You've been given all the info you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck.

PS. I'm not saying it's not done, just uncommon. One of the most "famous" is the LS3 in Peter Brock's own Coupe. At the Cars and Coffee the Cobra die hards thought it was pretty funny until they found out who owned it.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 04-05-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You've been given all the info you need to make an informed decision.
I've actually not been given any info. Just commentary on my Chev/automatic choice.

What Chev 6 speed auto fits in an FFR Roadster, if any, is all I want to know?
Old 04-06-2023, 06:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

tmatts, I can’t say for sure about the fit in an FFR but I do have a auto with OD in my CR. The six speed 1st gear is 4 to 1. That’s pretty deep for a light weight car. If you lower the rear gear to go with 1st gear, then sixth is virtually useless. I’m totally in favor of doing what you want with your car but I think a 4 speed might serve you better.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:

If you're doing it because you want the worry free attributes of a modern power train then go for a Coyote. But they have the same attributes of the GM by about 25% less.

Cobras are supposed to creek, groan, rumble when at idle, smell horrible and all those other things. Plus finding someone to work on it for you is getting increasingly difficult because the old farts that understand 60's engines are almost all dead so being handy yourself is almost a requirement (some like Jay Leno have an old fart that does that for him). If you don't want a car that does that then maybe a Corvette works better.
Quote:
What is with you guys? Why would you try to talk someone out of a Cobra who wants one, just because he doesn't want a Ford engine in it?
Why? What Tony said!

Why, again? Because we have seen it before and it sounds like you want something that only looks like a Cobra. Classic Corvette seems to fit better. 'Nuff said, you're a big boy - do what you want and enjoy... sincerely wishing you the best of luck with the project!
Alfa02 likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 04-08-2023, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

tmatts,

I always find it interesting when someone asks for information/opinion and then argues with it. If you have a recipe that you like, you should bake your cake using your recipe. There is no value added that is associated with showing up over here, asking for opinion/guidance, and then debating what was offered in response to your query.

That type of behavior is what is frequently found on social media sites. While there is nothing wrong with it (for those who want to participate), this site is a forum that is ill-suited to that type of member/respondent participation.

If the keyboard commando sort of experience is what you are looking for, you will be poorly served over here and very likely better served on one of the many social media sites available to you.
Alfa02 and hazards280 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I agree with G Edmonds considering the gear ratio factor.
A 700R4 is great.
Everett Morrison has an amazing car with the 50 state legal Gen 5.
Coyote/10 speed auto. Wheelbase is 96”. Possibly Ford warranty and service.
E-M has a FE/C6 with a Gear Vendors overdrive under construction too.
Automatic with Line Locks for me.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Do you want to feel connected to the road by moving your foot on the pedal as with a standard or the one way forward connection with auto disconnect when letting off as with an automatic.
You'd be missing half the fun
I would never have it any other way, except to compete in drag racing.
Standard>Auto

Last edited by RET_COP; 06-30-2023 at 06:53 AM..
Old 06-30-2023, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Rachet Shifter

The B&M rachet shifter lets your AOD manually shift up and down and hold each gear, simple and easier for us grey haired guys. Your clutch and stick is no match. Power brake the auto at the light and nobody will beat you across the intersection.
Perry
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427" Stroker Smallblock with Trick flow heads
Not Ranked     

for years I've road raced and drag raced both manual and Automatic (Manual Reverse valve body) transmissions...and one thing that is maybe not appreciated enough about the manual transmission experience in a Cobra is the effect and predictability of compression braking when you come off the throttle in gear, this allows the car to slow as the motor decelerates and stay predicably balanced on its feet.... , an automatic doesn't really react the same predictable way due to the stator/turbine and sprag (one way fluid direction) of the torque converter...on the contrary you will basically coast and carry more momentum as the converter Freewheels....so an automatic car on a roadrace course will tend to be significantly more brake dependent lap for lap.

But automatic cars with torquey motors and lighter higher stall converters can be very easy to drive and can feel as fast or faster than most manuals in lightweight cars. But as always the converter selection is very critical in terms of drivability and has to be well-matched to the weight, gearing and camshaft powerband....and when you get the combo right...it's amazingly fun.
Snake2998 likes this.