16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2023, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Sportsman S/R Radial Street/Racetrack Size: 26X12R15

Hello guys, since my Group Buy for the Avon tires fell through, I'm looking at other tires. I've decided against the strip/street radial tires like from M/T. I really want the GoodYear Billboard tires, but their 50/50 on the street from owners. bias-ply's wander, follows the tire grooves, soft compound throw pebbles (what tires don't, but maybe their worse ?) etc.

For some reason, I don't care for the popular Cooper Cobra GT, but man their low in cost, so the next tire is the Looong,....time is the BF Goodrich T/A. Really nice looking tire and just a bit higher cost than the Cooper. The great thing is the white raised letters look good, and the tire thread is pretty similar to the Billboards, so I could them around to the black side and buy the glue on letters from Tredware creating the billboard looks.

I'm also torn between the traction of the strip radials, the Avon and ok traction of the real GY billboards, or the no traction BF T/A and the Coopers.

After building two 428 FE engines because I liked the idea of having a FE as all the street Cobras had them, but I was disappointed with the power, so I spoke with Barry and he suggested building a Ford 460. So I bought a great block and added all great internals, Kaase SR-71 loaded heads, stacked EFI with a Holley Terminator brain, and it should be around 750 HP/TQ. So traction for racing can be quick and no traction will be fun. lol

The other tire selection is the M/T S/R radial. They look great, but will billboard lettering on that "fire" tread look stupid ?

I don't know about the aspect ratio. On M/T website I don't see that information. My tires now are 295/50/15, and I believe they are 26.1"
diameter. I have about 2" room before the tire hits a frame gusset.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Mickey-Th...l-26X12R15.htm

Summit-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6641

Mickey Thompson-

The 26X12R15 Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial has a diameter of 26.1", a width of 12", mounts on a 15" rim and has 796 revolutions per mile. It weighs 26 lbs, has a max load of 1150 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 35 psi, a tread depth of 8/32" and should be used on a rim width of 8-10".

What's your thoughts ?
Old 05-13-2023, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2102, Keith Craft 427W
Not Ranked     

I'm using the M/T Sportsman STs on my ERA.

Have been very pleased with them after 3 years and 10000+ miles.

They balanced out great, smooth ride and grip much better than BFGs.

Best of luck on your choice
Old 05-14-2023, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Whats the ST's cornering grip like?
Old 05-14-2023, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Consider this a data point rather than a recommendation. I put MT SR tires on my Cheetah with 18" wheels. The rears were 28x12 and the fronts 28x10. I had no problem with the rears, but I could never get the fronts balanced. As I was researching the issue I read several comments that led me to suspect the balance problem, while not routine, was more common with MT tires that other brands. I replaced the front tires with another brand and the problem went away.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-14-2023, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I ran the MT S/R tires on my last Cobra and found them to work very well, once they were heated up. The car was an NAF, 496 Chevy with 3 spd automatic. I'd run 10.70s on the quarter mile. I'd carry the LF wheel through 2nd gear. I considered that to be plenty adequate traction.

The car obviously did OK in a straight line, but twisty curvies...not so much. I can't blame that on the tires but rather on perhaps too much power and not enough sense.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OOps, douple post

Last edited by KarlzEE Bebout; 05-14-2023 at 10:17 AM..
Old 05-14-2023, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
Kevin, I ran the MT S/R tires on my last Cobra and found them to work very well, once they were heated up. The car was an NAF, 496 Chevy with 3 spd automatic. I'd run 10.70s on the quarter mile. I'd carry the LF wheel through 2nd gear. I considered that to be plenty adequate traction.

The car obviously did OK in a straight line, but twisty curvies...not so much. I can't blame that on the tires but rather on perhaps too much power and not enough sense.
What size front & back ?
Old 05-14-2023, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

10x26x15 Front and 12x26x15 in the back.

Last edited by KarlzEE Bebout; 05-15-2023 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-14-2023, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
10x24x15 Front and 12x24x15 in the back.
What do they equate to front 235/60 and rear 295/50 ?
Old 05-14-2023, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can't remember for sure but I'm thinking 245.60.15 for the fronts and the 295.50.15 for the rear. It's been 8 or 9 years, and I've slept since then...
Old 05-15-2023, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
What do they equate to front 235/60 and rear 295/50 ?
When I'm trying to answer questions like that I go to TireRack.com and look at the data for each tire so I can compare.
Blue66 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-15-2023, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Consider this a data point rather than a recommendation. I put MT SR tires on my Cheetah with 18" wheels. The rears were 28x12 and the fronts 28x10. I had no problem with the rears, but I could never get the fronts balanced. As I was researching the issue I read several comments that led me to suspect the balance problem, while not routine, was more common with MT tires that other brands. I replaced the front tires with another brand and the problem went away.
Man,...Tommy, that's a cool Cheetah. Love it. I almost bought one from local builder, but I did not like the construction. One of the best I've seen, had a stacked injected Chevy small block, but the best was the USA flag covering the car, very well done.

Damn, I've heard several people had balancing issues. So now I'm dropping them down on my list of tires.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
When I'm trying to answer questions like that I go to TireRack.com and look at the data for each tire so I can compare.
When I search them on TireRack, they say it could not be found ?

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial
Old 05-15-2023, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go to MickeyThompsonTires.com to get the critical dimensions of the S/R tires. Then go to TireRack.com to get the dimensions of the metric tires you know will fit. Crosscheck the two to see which S/R tires might fit your car. In addition to the tires' section width, tread width and diameter, you'll also want to check the width of your wheel bead against that of the tire.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What front tire go with their SR, I don't see any except the ST, but does not match of course ?
Old 05-16-2023, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I believe they make 6”, 8”, 12” and 15” wide 15 inch diameter tires in the S/R line. If I’m not mistaken a 26-8.00R15LT tire is 26” overall diameter with an 8” section width - but the width is not always exact. Here is a spec sheet.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Mickey-Th...-SR-Radial.htm
Old 05-16-2023, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's it ! I don't know why I did not see that ?

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and anal, so I really want the name Goodyear Eagle on the tires I buy, I like them better than Mickey Thompson. So that'll take some time to decide. lol

What would you guys do ?
Old 05-19-2023, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

You evidently drive your Cobra hard like I do. The most critical factor for me is the breakaway. Many tires will grip very well as the sideload increases and then suddenly let go so quickly you cannot catch the spin. On a dragstrip, many tires will do that on a gear shift, suddenly spinning you into the wall (or worse, the other car).

I have run more that 15 types of tires on my Cobra over more than 30 years (including the very good Mickey ST's and the terrible Goodrich TA's) and have learned to appreciate and rebuy Cooper Cobra tires. The breakaway is gradual and you can balance them on the edge of a slide. This is really good on a road course where you can push hard and then hold it in the drift (assuming your car is balanced well). After a few years of street driving, I wore out my first set during a track day on Willow Springs. But it was so much fun! After spending over $700 on the second set, I am taking it easy and they have lasted 6 years of road rallies. I run 245/60r15's and 275/60r15's.

I also have to put a good word in for Hoosier Autocross tires. They give you superman grip that is unbelievable. I took home some trophies from SCCA Solo2 and track events with them. However, not good on the street. There were several times, at high speed, on a freeway, when they would catch a groove and suddenly try to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. Very scary!

So if you want to have fun with your car on the street and entertain a friend with a little drift action or a donut and LIVE to hear him tell the story, get the Coopers.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 05-19-2023 at 02:22 AM..
Old 05-19-2023, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with everything he said about the Hoosiers.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
You evidently drive your Cobra hard like I do. The most critical factor for me is the breakaway. Many tires will grip very well as the sideload increases and then suddenly let go so quickly you cannot catch the spin. On a dragstrip, many tires will do that on a gear shift, suddenly spinning you into the wall (or worse, the other car).

I have run more that 15 types of tires on my Cobra over more than 30 years (including the very good Mickey ST's and the terrible Goodrich TA's) and have learned to appreciate and rebuy Cooper Cobra tires. The breakaway is gradual and you can balance them on the edge of a slide. This is really good on a road course where you can push hard and then hold it in the drift (assuming your car is balanced well). After a few years of street driving, I wore out my first set during a track day on Willow Springs. But it was so much fun! After spending over $700 on the second set, I am taking it easy and they have lasted 6 years of road rallies. I run 245/60r15's and 275/60r15's.

I also have to put a good word in for Hoosier Autocross tires. They give you superman grip that is unbelievable. I took home some trophies from SCCA Solo2 and track events with them. However, not good on the street. There were several times, at high speed, on a freeway, when they would catch a groove and suddenly try to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. Very scary!

So if you want to have fun with your car on the street and entertain a friend with a little drift action or a donut and LIVE to hear him tell the story, get the Coopers.

RS
Yes, you nailed it with how I drive. I call it, spirited street driving, not racing unless there's no trees, buildings etc.. But, stop to stop is always done. lol

I can't believe how many guys with Cobras, like the Cooper Cobra so much and have seen many pics and videos with them. Especially as a dirt cheap cost tire, their that good ?