Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2023, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

The video footage I saw shows no burnout only cobra driving by in a controlled manner and spectator jumping onto roadway making some sort of gesture at the cobra and cobra swerving and possibly braking to avoid spectator. Spectator then walks away from accident seen while looking over his shoulder at others walking towards the crash.
In my view the swerving and braking at the same time would have been enough to break the rear end loose on these cars.
Trickcobra1 likes this.

Last edited by carmine; 05-18-2023 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine View Post
The video footage I saw shows no burnout only cobra driving by in a controlled manner and spectator jumping onto roadway making some sort of gesture at the cobra and cobra swerving to avoid spectator.
And I take it the vid is too gruesome or otherwise inappropriate to just post in a public forum?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Maybe the pulling of the video was in respect to the victims.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine View Post
Maybe the pulling of the video was in respect to the victims.
And I can understand that. But I was thinking, if it were me and one of my family, and unless the vid was particularly graphic in its display of us, I would probably want it posted.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I have the video. I will not put it up here out of respect for and in hope for some dignity for the victims. The video is extremely short, maybe 5 seconds max, taken from a poor vantage point and is of very poor and grainy image quality. It's hard to say from the video if the car was engaged in a burnout at the time of the accident. The mention in my original post of a burnout being involved comes from law enforcement sources investigating the accident.

It has never been my intent in starting this thread to place any judgement on the victims, only to implore all of us to be more careful when driving these cars. They are unforgiving to say the least. I cast no presumption of guilt whatsoever upon the vicims. Regardless of fault or lack thereof, this is a tragedy. Let us all learn from this situation.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:54 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra replica windshield

From a picture in the local news, it appears that the windshield collapsed when the car went under the highway cable. My question is, are the windshield frames supplied in some kits not strong enough to offer crash protection? Should they be? My old MG and AH 3000 frames were pretty stout.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:21 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzeke16 View Post
From a picture in the local news, it appears that the windshield collapsed when the car went under the highway cable. My question is, are the windshield frames supplied in some kits not strong enough to offer crash protection? Should they be? My old MG and AH 3000 frames were pretty stout.
Any original style "Cobra" windscreen frame is not going to offer any protection. They are brass that is not very stout and brass being rather soft, will bend/deform easily especially with 2500# (+/-) of kinetic energy applied.

The best protection in a Cobra is found between the ears of the driver.
Buzz, Blue66, Tommy and 5 others like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-19-2023, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzeke16 View Post
From a picture in the local news, it appears that the windshield collapsed when the car went under the highway cable. My question is, are the windshield frames supplied in some kits not strong enough to offer crash protection? Should they be?
Absolutely NOT. Should they be? The 65 era Cobras would come no where close to being safety compliant. If they were they wouldn't look anything like they do. They would look like a Miata since the safety gods pretty much dictate the windshield A-pillar back to the head supports behind the seats.
Blue66 and eschaider like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 05-19-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Old 05-19-2023, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I do know that the original Shamrock windscreen frame and mounting might be reasonably strong as one car went through a barbed wire fence and the windscreen deflected the wire high enough to pass over the body over the occupants heads but that is in no way a definitive test.

Despite the above I don't think many sports car windscreens will be able to deflect a stout safety barrier cable.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Hal Copple's immortal words, "When you put that tiny silver key into the ignition, and begin your startup countdown, your car will whisper 'take me for granted, and I will kill you.' "

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's 100% no doubt in my mind that the spectator that ran out into the street as this driver was leaving the show caused this horrific accident. I took multiple screenshots from the video and then put them together to slow it down. You can clearly see this guy running out into the road as Cobra is driving out at what appears to me to be between 45-50mph driving straight and NOT spinning tires or doing a burnout. This driver just swerved as to not hit this man running out and spun out right into the wire guard rail. May these folks RIP they did nothing wrong.
CowtownCobra likes this.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I, for one hope you are right, we (Cobra owners), don't need any more black marks pinned to us, as to the kind cars we drive. Questions: 1- Have any one there in the area (From our site) kept track of the investigation from the state police (Primary report?) 2-Is there just the one video we know about or multiples? Thank you COBRA-SPO2400 for your effort to clear a "Brother's name". Tom.
COBRA-SPO2400 likes this.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX48xx from South Africa
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I, for one hope you are right, we (Cobra owners), don't need any more black marks pinned to us, as to the kind cars we drive. Questions: 1- Have any one there in the area (From our site) kept track of the investigation from the state police (Primary report?) 2-Is there just the one video we know about or multiples? Thank you COBRA-SPO2400 for your effort to clear a "Brother's name". Tom.
Why does it have to be Black marks? Your tone seems racist to me. Kidding aside I was taught never ever to swerve no matter what! Always the guy that swerves that gets the worst of it! My video would have shown me hitting the fool and dragging him until I felt like letting off! Most important thing is, I go home. I have a question 1. What brand of car was he driving? When I first read this post I was saddened by it and my first question was why do we have high tension cables on a road that can kill people… fool should be charged with involuntary manslaughter! I have had less cases end in conviction. I’m not your attorney and I’m not giving legal advice.
CowtownCobra and Joey.S like this.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

as a retired fire fighter and cobra owner, please just have respect for pwer and life, seen too many in my time and yes the impact has a big ripple effect, rip but we live with the memory!
Old 05-24-2023, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

as a retired fire fighter and cobra owner, please just have respect for pwer and life, seen too many in my time and yes the impact has a big ripple effect, rip but we live with the memory!
xb-60 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA-SPO2400 View Post
There's 100% no doubt in my mind that the spectator that ran out into the street as this driver was leaving the show caused this horrific accident. I took multiple screenshots from the video and then put them together to slow it down. You can clearly see this guy running out into the road as Cobra is driving out at what appears to me to be between 45-50mph driving straight and NOT spinning tires or doing a burnout. This driver just swerved as to not hit this man running out and spun out right into the wire guard rail. May these folks RIP they did nothing wrong.
There are more than one video, what you saw may have been part of the contributing factor, but the other video shows a different part of the event. Thankfully, taken down, as it was something that will not be able to be erased from my mind, not ever .

Bill S
Alfa02 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-24-2023, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Instead of comparing videos, mine is more gruesome than yours, how about everybody say a prayer for the couple to rest in peace and remember to treat your cobra like a loaded weapon, because that is what this cars are!
PJ UPTMOR and Alfa02 like this.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX48xx from South Africa
Not Ranked     

I can’t even find a video!!! Bad things happen to good people all of the time… I can’t believe how Full Grown Men act like women…. Kids get cancer and die, that’s way more tragic than someone getting killed late in life living their dreams! When I die I want to go in my sleep just like my Grandfather did and not screaming like the rest of the people in the van. Grow a set and move on!
Old 05-24-2023, 10:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Let me be the first to say this. Maxjeep, you sir have NO respect, I know a lot of these "decent" people here, and for you to call them Women, reeks of what kind of person you are, as I see you don't respect Women either. It's nice that you get to decide, when the grieving should be over. It looks like you're not one of us, after all. Ever heard of Compassion, or Empathy, doesn't look like it. Maybe take your own advice use the last 2-words you typed here and Move On.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did they find the guy it is manslaughter at the very least.