• 1 Post By Snake2998

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2023, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     
Default Hand Signals - who does it?

I am in the habit of routinely using hand signals when driving my Cobra and stopping or turning. I do it for a few reasons:
  • I think the Cobra's turn signals and brake lights are less obvious and less bright than modern car's signals and might not be noticed by cars around us.
  • I think SUV's and trucks tend to look right over us because of our low profile and might not notice us unless we do something to catch their attention like sticking an arm out or up when stopping or turning.
  • I think its kind of retro and might amuse others.
  • I worry about being rear ended and knocking out my brains out on the roll bar and think that anything I can do to make myself mor noticeable can't do any harm and might just reduce the risk of a rearend.

Anybody else out there do the same or am I a rarity?
RAZOR, Ron61, eschaider and 2 others like this.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake2998 View Post
Anybody else out there do the same or am I a rarity?
I do it. But only for left turn signals and the braking motion. The latter mostly if someone is crowding me and making me nervous. I've even done that to state troopers and they immediately drop back. I don't think most people would know what a right turn signal meant -- I think they'd look up in the sky for one of those Chinese spy balloons and then run in to me.
Ron61, 1795 and JTMCOBRA like this.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, in doubt: Turn left...

I never used my turn signals. I had the rectangular Lucas indicator operation. Not many understand that suddenly your one brake light flashes.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

When taking the car out for the day, I do a visual check of all lights (Old Semi truck driver Habit) I don't use hand signals as most people don't understand them anyway. If I have someone right on my a$$ or if everyone in front of me is slowing down, and I feel the person behind me is not playing attention, I will turn my 4-way flashers on, for a short time, that gets people's attention (Quickly, and safety) I've had a State Patrol officer give me a "Thumbs up" for doing that. I can happily say, I have 2+million miles on my Professional License and God knows how many on personal license (52years total, got my CDL @ 18YO), with (One Accident) deemed not my fault. My $.02. Cheers Tom
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I did it routinely 50+ years ago. Air conditioning broke that habit. I doubt that anyone younger than 50 even knows that its a car signal. So no, I no longer use hand signals.
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-18-2023, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do it ALL the time in my Cobra even though I have very bright LED tail lights.

I have no doubt that some people might not understand hand signal meanings but at least they'll see that something ahead of them is going on.

I absolutely HATE when drivers leave their turn signals flashing for miles and miles.

I never forget to turn off my hand signals.
Ron61 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by KarlzEE Bebout; 05-18-2023 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-18-2023, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Reminds me of the guy who never uses his turn signals because it’s nobody’s damn business where he’s going.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin2,

How so?
Moriarty likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I occasionally use the one finger salute - does that count?
Ron61, eschaider, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-18-2023, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use hand signals when I drive my Dragon or Cheetah. I took a nice drive today and did so.

last summer I was driving through Keene Valley in the Adirondacks. A large white truck was following fairly close. I used a right hand signal as I turned onto a road that takes me back to my home town of Ellizabethtown. Right after the turn there is a long uphill stretch with an added passing lane. I was cruising in the slow lane. The driver of the truck followed me then pulled up alongside me. He motioned that he wanted me to stop. I thought that he wanted to talk about my car so I obliged.

He pulled behind me and stopped a few car lengths behind. I watched in the mirror as he slowly got out of his truck and walked to the car. When close he yelled " Why were you flipping me off!" I yelled back that I wasn't flipping him off. That I was manually signaling a right turn. His demeanor immediately changed and he apologized.

Ron61, HealeyRick, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I did a few times since I knew the back lights were fairly dim. I don't know if people don't understand them or what but when I signaled a left turn someone thought I was waving and waved back. I figured out noone knew what I meant. After than I used the frantic wave to simply get people's attention so they saw me and the car. It did feel at times like I was in a Klingon space ship with the invisibility cloak engaged. Only slightly more visible than a motorcycle.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wish there was a well-understood hand signal for people that follow too close and want to get a closer look. Tailgaters while driving a Cobra are the worst.
cycleguy55 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Around 30 years ago, I incurred nerve damage in my left hand, and could only close my thumb and pinky for a couple of months, so I could not do the one finger salute. I joked with my friends and a couple of motor officers I knew, that I was not sure if I could legally drive in the state of Colorado? The officers said, "no, and they needed to confiscate my drivers license, impound me motorcycle, and make me walk home!" Cheers, Dennis
Old 05-18-2023, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX48xx from South Africa
Not Ranked     

Lol! Nobody knows what that even is! Nobody can drive a stick and you expect them to learn what hand signals are? You are so old thinking that people are still like the greatest generation. My 16 year old is going to get his license and he tells me that he needs to learn how to sign his name…. I can’t believe that school teaches you how to identify your gender but you can’t sign your name!!!!
Old 05-19-2023, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I gather from what my American Cobra brothers are saying an offside turn in the USA is signaled by your arm up and hand circling, Here in South Africa it is arm down and hand circling. If so maybe it's a North/South thing?????
Old 05-19-2023, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjeep View Post
Lol! Nobody knows what that even is! Nobody can drive a stick and you expect them to learn what hand signals are? You are so old thinking that people are still like the greatest generation. My 16 year old is going to get his license and he tells me that he needs to learn how to sign his name…. I can’t believe that school teaches you how to identify your gender but you can’t sign your name!!!!
LOL - when I grew up my Mom had new Peugeot truck with turn signals that where an arm sticking out of the side of the vehicle and hand operated windscreen wipers. It was the passengers job to turn the windscreen wiper lever left and right during the rare thunderstorms we used to have.
Maxjeep likes this.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1965C View Post
I wish there was a well-understood hand signal for people that follow too close and want to get a closer look. Tailgaters while driving a Cobra are the worst.
That hand signal looks like this ....
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2023, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1965C View Post
The only time I use hand signals is when somebody tailgates me. I wave to get them to back off. No, it's not generally a one-finger salute.