• 2 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By Jim Vander Wal
  • 2 Post By Jim Vander Wal
  • 1 Post By novasscnc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default 950 cfm carb

I have a stroked 427. I believe it has a 750 cfm carburetor I was thinking of a 950 cfm carburetor because of a large cam. I think, I would gain some horse power, just was wondering what others with more experience think. The previous owner, polished away the numbers so their is no stamp ,telling me the actual carb size.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
I have a stroked 427. I believe it has a 750 cfm carburetor I was thinking of a 950 cfm carburetor because of a large cam. I think, I would gain some horse power, just was wondering what others with more experience think. The previous owner, polished away the numbers so their is no stamp ,telling me the actual carb size.
Not enough information given.

But based on these assumptions:
427 cu. in. (stroked small block)
Lightly modified
Mostly street driven
6000 RPM Redline

750 cfm is good.

950 cfm is too large unless it's
a modified motor with high
volumetric efficiency at redline.
Also does the fuel delivery system
have the flow capacity to feed a 950?

Too large of carb will feel sluggish
in street traffic where I assume
most of your driving will occur.
Could be an expensive letdown.

Best method if you don't know
specifics about your engine is to
get the car on a dyno and decide
based on the resulting imperical data.

A quick and dirty ballpark method is
Summit Racing's carb cfm size calculator:
https://www.summitracing.com/newsand...cfm-calculator
Old 06-06-2023, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I have a 427 ci small block Chevy in my Cheetah. It was dynoed at 600 HP at 6100 RPM with a Holley Ultra XP 850 carb. It is not happy below 2000 RPM likely due to the weak air signal through the carb at low speeds. It is also cannot be equipped with a choke, so cold starts require some practice AND high RPM for a minute or so after start. . . Engine builders tend to use huge carburetors so they can boast of their big peak horsepower numbers, but those don't make for good street engines. . . . Keep in mind that peak horsepower plays a role in performance only at wide open throttle at peak speed, and that is only safely possible on a race track. At all lesser speeds it is engine torque that matters. So if you plan to drag race and you want to increase your trap speed, peak horsepower matters. On the street, responsiveness and torque matter most and the 750 is better for that.
joyridin' likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-06-2023, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

On my 427W I run a 780cfm from ProSystems. 4150 Dbl pumper, no choke or horn. 1-7/8" custom built headers and limited restriction sidepipes. Edelbrock Vic Jr., AFR 225 heads, Comp Cam custom grind 240 at .050, .610/.613, 108. Didn't like sub 2k RPM but would run very nicely at 2,200. About 535hp/tqe on an engine dyno, 440/435 on a Mustang wheel dyno (would be about 475 on a DynoJet).

My experience is similar to Tommy's. But I'll add that chokes are really unnecessary, in the way of a good air path and air cleaner options.

I've tried a similar 940. Wow!!! did it scream at 7,000, not so hot under 5,000. Also tried 2" headers with similar effect.

Sold the 940 carb. Told the friend with another 427W that bought it that it was too big. Took him a bit to believe me before he sold it.

If I was going bigger it would be a Holley Ultra XP 850. Would like annular boosters abd would do this knowing that I will give up some low-end response and if switching to a Eldebrock Super Victor. But, I run to 7k RPM. In any normal world the 750/780 is great.

Right now the plan is for the Vic Jr and PS 780. Not much future in messing with the combo that works. Need to build new headers for the Challenge Car.

Jim
Old 06-06-2023, 11:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

When it comes to carburetors, bigger is not always better.

Instead of replacing the carb you have on the car now, why not spend some money have have a shop that uses a chassis dyno to properly tune and tweak it for the engine.

Bill S.
eschaider and RugbyRef like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-06-2023, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK then I will not go bigger I have a Victor jr heads and a rpm Edlebrock manifold. Thank you all for your inputs.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I started with a Performer RPM and Vic Jr. heads. Good combo, very drivable.

If you have a 4150 Mechanical/Double Pumper you're all set. If running a vac carb then switching to a DP will be a great kick in the pants upgrade. Might be what you're looking for.

Jim
joyridin' likes this.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I started with a Performer RPM and Vic Jr. heads. Good combo, very drivable.

If you have a 4150 Mechanical/Double Pumper you're all set. If running a vac carb then switching to a DP will be a great kick in the pants upgrade. Might be what you're looking for.

Jim
Old 06-07-2023, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

The carb on my Roush 427R is an 870 cfm Holley with vacuum secondary's. I thought it was too much so I made a call to Roush and they confirmed it was the correct carb.

Fred
Old 06-21-2023, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hauss,
Just checking in to see if you've made any progress or changes.
Jim
Old 06-22-2023, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is what is happening if I jet it for close to sea level its a beast but in the mountains it does not want to run dam near fouled the plugs.That is why I thought bigger would be better. When jetted for mountains it looses power. In the motorcycle world there is a lectron carb and a smart carb that deals with these type of issues. just wondering what carb would be best in the car world?
Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hauss, bigger won't solve those problems, sorry. Probably make it worse simply due to the 950 being TOO BIG. Air velocity will be slow and then compounding with less air. Nothing good will come of this.

I've run from a 700 ft tune (MI) into the Rockies but, much higher than 8,000 is a problem. I've had to drop jet sizes to average the tune out. Usually 2-3 sizes down takes care of things.

What you need to be a bit careful of is tuning for altitude and then dropping to sea level, this is where it will lean out, maybe dangerously so.

If changing altitude is a regular event you really are a prime candidate for EFI. Ouch, that really hurt but the truth is often uncomfortable.

Jim
eschaider and CompFi like this.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In have a all aluminum 427 small block stroker 550 hp with a 850 demon works excellent
hauss likes this.