Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2023, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports 427
Not Ranked     
Default Short Pins

Hey gang- I have a Gen I Hurricane. I have a need to finally replace some drive pins and I didn’t think I would have this hard of a time but here I am. After looking at Vintage and Trigo parts pages, mine are apparently unique in length.
I am looking for a recommendation on where to get these.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is likely your pim drive nut replacement => Pin Drive Lug Nuts

Part of the confusion is from mixing the metric and imperial measurement systems, and part is from sloppy measuring techniques.

Your 19.01mm diameter is measured partially off the top edge of your caliper's flat measuring surfaces. Remeasure correctly on the flat and parallel machined measuring surfaces of the caliper jaws. The number you get will be larger and very likely the 0.770" Imperial measurement or the 19.5mm metric equivalent on the web page above.

Be sure to match the chamfer angle your pin drive nuts use. You can not mix angles without doing damage. Yours will be either 45˚ or 60˚.

You will also need to properly identify the thread diameter and pitch your wheels use. The Vintage site will require selecting one of five different wheel stud diameters and thread pitches.

Attention to detail will be your friend until you get the stud nuts properly ID'd. Actually, it will be your friend long after that also ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 08-10-2023 at 08:55 AM..
Old 08-10-2023, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed. I have been there and been in contact with Bob and the don’t have anything as short as I show in the pics. He has seen both of these pictures. So the question still stands.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Find a shop with a lathe to shorten new ones. As long as you still have some internal length for the installation driver you'll be ok.
A question. Are the holes in the wheels cut that short? If you're not sure I'd take one of the pins and measure it in the holes. Might be that you just have short pins for the holes.
Jim
Old 08-10-2023, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Length is not a disqualifier, as Jim has already indicated. The important metrics are the outside diameter and the thread size/pitch. Unless you need to lengthen them, there is no big problem. Take them to a machine shop (unless you have access to a lathe) give them the dimension you want, and come back when they are done. You will have exactly what you want!

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal View Post
Find a shop with a lathe to shorten new ones. As long as you still have some internal length for the installation driver you'll be ok.
A question. Are the holes in the wheels cut that short? If you're not sure I'd take one of the pins and measure it in the holes. Might be that you just have short pins for the holes.
Jim
Thanks Jim, appreciate the feedback

Tags
drive, pins, wheels