Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Harpoon PV2
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 3 Post By Alfa02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2023, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     
Default Old add for Daytona Coupe

Was looking through an old paper.
In the classifieds a Coupe.
Would be mice to rake the time machine back to that day.......
Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2023, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I love the ad for Bondurant's car!
Old 08-22-2023, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice! Wonder what it sold for?
Old 08-22-2023, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Considering Shelby was going to dump them in the ocean because he didn't want to pay the $1,200 or $1.500 to ship them back, my bet is probably less than $2500. Maybe way less!

Even a, say, $2,500 price back then, that would bring several million today and more for that specific car has a way of making you feel bad you didn't buy it way back then ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny he claims they won the World Championship, They won the Division III GT! Carrol was out by the end of the season, Alan Mann had the cars at his shop in the UK. This is what he said about them, "at the end of the season the cars came back from Sicily in pretty rough shape, as you can imagine. I must have had them at my place for fully three months while I wrote letters to the States asking what I was to do with them, and I very nearly had to scrap the lot to avoid paying Customs duty on them. But nobody cared. Ford Division didn't want them, Shelby didn't want them----they were just last years junk." Needless to say, he did find buyers for all that JUNK! Alan Man is one of the unsung hero's of the Cobra story! Oh, and in my opinion, those peace's of junk are more beautiful, that any Pecaso! Cheers, Dennis
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

And Don Wester's 906 Carrera for sale right above it. I watched that Carrera win (Under 2-liter) @ Pacific Raceways that year. Years later (30+) that Carrera 6 & Tom Benjamin's 289FIA Cobra went by me on each side at 30MPH faster @ Pacific Raceways during a USRRC Senior tour race, shook the poor little Alfa The sound of that 6cly Porsche and a well-built 289, I still remember the SOUND!! Cheers Tom.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Another tid-bit about that 65 season, Allen Grant (Last living Shelby team driver) has told me MANY stories from that era. But he said the smartest thing he did while overseas, the Shelby crew were rebuilding the Daytona's in the Lola garage, sitting over in the corner (Forlorn and forgotten) was Lola GT-#1 of 3. The father of the Ford GT-40's. In as Raced cond. from LeMans in 1963, he had to have it, Calling Eric Broadley, he needed $3500 for it!! Allen scraped together, the money to buy it, and rest is history, it is valued @ 35Million in today's money. I believe I've mentioned it before, but I've touched every part on the Lola (While doing inventory) when Allen lived here in Sequim. I have been promised to be able to drive it (I don't trust Allen's driving ), while visiting Allen in Plam Springs next year. Cheers Tom.
eschaider, MD427 and Harpoon PV2 like this.