• 1 Post By Tom Wells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2024, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     
Default Monitoring fuel pressure

I have fuel injected my motor using a cross ram inlet and 8 injectors drilled in. I would like to monitor the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is delivering what it should at high demand. I am thinking of pluming in a oil pressure sending unit with gauge in the dashboard rather than a mechanical gauge as I don't like the idea of a hard line with pressurised fuel running into the cockpit.

I have noticed in adverts that electronic fuel pressure gauges seem to use oil sender units. Anybody got any thoughts on this.

My main motivation is that fuel pressure gauges are hard to get in South Africa and expensive whilst oil pressure gauges are about a quarter of the price.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Snake,

I asked Stewart Warner about this. Here's their reply:

Quote:
Thomas,

You can use an oil pressure gauge and sender for fuel. There is no problem doing that.

Regards,
Here's their web site: https://www.stewartwarner.com/?utm_s...ign=sw_newsite

Hope this is helpful,

Tom
Joey.S likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake2998 View Post
I have fuel injected my motor using a cross ram inlet and 8 injectors drilled in. I would like to monitor the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is delivering what it should at high demand ...
Go to Low Dollar Motorsports and order this sensor =>https://lowdoller-motorsports.com/collections/pressure-sensors/products/0-100-psi-5v-pressure-sensor

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies Tom and Ed - I am thinking of installing a standard Oil pressure sensor with a two way toggle switch to my existing oil pressure gauge with up for Fuel and down for Oil.

I will rely on my Oil pressure warning light to warn me of oil pressure loss on those rare occasions that I check Fuel pressure pump performance so will mainly run in the switch down mode.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whilst on the subject - anyone thought of fitting a warning buzzer on the oil pressure warning light to warn of low oil pressure - I can do it through an earthed terminal on my ECU and relay so it only works above say 500 RPM. Seems like a good idea to me. It would work really nicely for warning of oil starvation in high G corners.

Last edited by Snake2998; 03-26-2024 at 01:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2024, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stop reinventing the wheel, start using the engine failsafes that are built into your aftermarket EFI system. You are running an aftermarket system, right? If the answer is no, trash the OEM system you are using and get a good aftermarket system.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure what ECU fail safes you are talking about Ed - I'm using a Perfect Power XMS5B ECU and it has no fail safes for Fuel Pressure and oil pressure. and I'm not aware of any aftermarket units that have that that are available and supported locally in South Africa.

Last edited by Snake2998; 03-27-2024 at 02:29 AM..
Old 03-27-2024, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can choose from MS3Pro, Holley, Haltech, FAST, Motec, and many others that all support this. MS3Pro is the least expensive, and Holley is next. Motec is the most expensive. There are lots of choices; all you need to do is pick the one you want.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info - if I had only known when I bought the ECU about twelve years ago - too late now as I don't want to go through the whole tuning thing all over again. Much easier to install a buzzer. But useful info if/when my ECU fails.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The same logic that caused you to purchase that ECU 12 years ago is telling you to put a buzzer in to signal when your fuel system misbehaves.

Using a buzzer to monitor fuel pressure in a fuel-injected engine is like tying a horse to the back of a Model T, so you have a way to get home when the car breaks down.

Your buzzer solution and methodology are as fraught with problems as the original ECU selection and EFI purchase event was. Buy the right equipment, do the right job, the right way, the first time. It is much less expensive, and unlike right now, you will not be sorry you did.

Tuning is not a big issue. It is a one-day event (typically less) at a tuning shop—choose a reputable one, not a cheap one.

Try doing things the right way the first time. You will have fewer challenges down the road.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear you - wish I had the funds to do that.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

On my ERA FIA I removed the fuel level gauge (not needed as you can see the fuel level with the cap removed) and replaced it with a matching oil pressure gauge. I carefully removed the bezel and lens, removed the "OIL" from the gauge face with brake cleaner and reassembled. The Gauge now looks very similar to the fuel pressures gauges installed in the original FIA cars, the numbers just have an extra 0.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

What you're looking for is pretty simple. So simple, in fact, that Ford did it in 1960.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...-pre-p-sw1547b
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto