• 1 Post By Alfa02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2024, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie to the group

Well…after dreaming about this car starting back in my teens, I’m finally becoming an owner. At age 67. Yes, it was a long wait. The car is a Superformance Mark lll. It’s fairly period correct. Guardsman blue with Wimbledon white stripes, black roll bar, black quick jacks, sand cast centers on the wheels and black ceramic coated headers. It had Goodyear billboards on it in the dealership but I asked them to be changed for something DOT approved. The dealer replaced them with Avon CR6ZZ’s. It’s supposed to be delivered this Thursday. I bought it in Ohio (MMG) and I am in Connecticut. I am having the engine built locally by Danbury Competition Engines. I will be going with a 427 stroker. The trans will be a TKX. Hopefully it will be registered and on the road before it gets too chilly. This is truly a bucket list vehicle and I’m thrilled I was able to get it. I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions for you guys. Glad to be here.
Bird of prey and tneynop like this.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2102, Keith Craft 427W
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new SPF Cobra.

Can't go wrong with that spec of Guardsman Blue/white stripes and black trim.

Nice pull on getting the dealer to swap out the Billboards for Avons. Those are not cheap.

One thing you may consider while waiting on the engine build is applying some PPF on the nose, rear fenders and maybe some inner fender liners. Those Avons are sticky and like to throw debris/rocks against the bodywork.

Again, welcome

Cheers
Old 05-20-2024, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Sounds great. You'll have a wonderful time.
What's the chassis number? SPO something, has been on the front upper crossmember between the shock towers.
I had 1855 & 2584.
The 427 is a great motor for those, the TKX is great from all I hear.
I never ran the Avons but did have 15" & many 17's. The reports on the Avons have always been really good.
Jim
Old 05-21-2024, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the purchase. I have dealt with MMG in Mansfield and they are a great organization. Customer oriented and honest. I was there a few months ago and saw the car you purchased and it’s sweet! Hey, you’re still a young man and if you had any doubts about that, you won’t once you fire it up the first time! Great engine choice too. Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase! Long time to wait for the dream to come true. Be careful and enjoy the car. You plan on doing you own maintenance?
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-21-2024, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Cheap plug for friends.

The owner's manual offered is a good reference.
https://www.secondstrike.com/

Consider Blas's wiring diagram if you are electrically inclined or curious. You'll need the chassis number.

Jim
Old 05-21-2024, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great welcome. The chassis number of this car is SP03678. I already have the Second Strike Owners Manual and the Drivetrain Specifications Handbook. These manuals are quite comprehensive. My father was a drag racing enthusiast and a hot rod guy so cars, motorcycles and fast boats were a huge part of growing up. I will be doing my own maintenance on this vehicle . I have been longing for a pushrod V8 with a carburetor and a real distributor. My wife’s Pilot looks like a George Foreman Grill under the hood. As for the Avons, after discussing tires with the dealer, he suggested them. He had apparently spec’d this car to be period correct and thought they would complement that theme. Sounded good to me. Now if they would only deliver it! Seems that this is an extremely busy time of year and lining up drivers is hard. I have zero experience in this area.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

For the first few months drive it like a little ol' lady unless you're in a huge parking lot where there are no light poles, cement curbs, or anything else to damage your car. That's the perfect place to learn how the car can get away from you both when accelerating or braking in a turn and how quickly it can do it. This is a short wheelbase car and it's tricky to catch if it comes around on you unexpectedly.
Tommy likes this.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good advice and that is the plan. Serious power to weight ratio in these babies.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Patrickt is right Dance slowly, till you get to know the beast We want you around for many (SPM) Smiles Per Miles Welcome RichieK, Cheers Tom.
Tommy likes this.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Preparing for engine/drivetrain install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal View Post
Cheap plug for friends.

The owner's manual offered is a good reference.
https://www.secondstrike.com/

Consider Blas's wiring diagram if you are electrically inclined or curious. You'll need the chassis number.

Jim
As you suggested, I am now waiting for my wiring diagram from Blas. I’m ok with the mechanical stuff but electrical is challenging sometimes. I will be doing the install so I am looking at all the wires taped up and zip tied under the hood. Some I can tell what they’re for, others……. I hope the diagram will help me identify what these mystery wires are for. I can’t wait for the engine to be built. Sitting in the rolling chassis out in the garage is starting to worry the wife.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieK View Post
Sitting in the rolling chassis out in the garage is starting to worry the wife.
Just make loud brrrrm-brrrrm noises and she will feel a lot better... and you will, too!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 05-31-2024, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

A big fan blowing on the front of the car while you are sitting in it enhances the experience.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net