28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Targa Newfoundland is on Speed Channel

Speed Channel will be airing the 1 hour program "Targa Newfoundland: An Automotive Adventure"

Friday May 2, 2003 at 7pm Eastern Time.

As well, Dream Car Garage will have a spot on Targa Newfoundland with Jerry Churchill on Sunday May 18th. (Check local listings for time)

We hope you all enjoy the shows.
Here is my origional thread on the Targa Event...
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...330#post340330

Last edited by leadfoot; 04-17-2003 at 07:07 AM..
Old 04-17-2003, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Leadfoot,

I am very curious how you're setting up a Cobra to compete in this event. Do you have website or anything?

Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No web site... I just have a car, a couple of bucks, 2 weeks off, and appetite to bite off more than I can chew, and a co-worker crazy enough to sit beside me while I do it.

The reality is that there are some (~50%) teams entering that are "professional" in some type of automotive capacity. The rest are people like me that are willing to try the "adventure".

I just completed watching last years event and thought that if I didn't try it now, in a couple of years entering would require an "invite" (as I think the popularity will grow).

The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that the East coast gets their fair share of rain, and they tell us to expect 2 of the 5 days in the wet. So with a car so light, with the power, the tire choice is VERY important.

We are not planning or trying to "win" at all. Our priorities are:
1./ Have fun: Drive on CLOSED roads at speeds that are reserved for race tracks
2./ Finish the event without hurting ourselves or the car
3./ Enjoy the event!!

The car is pretty much setup for this event, but I will be upgrading the roll bar, seats, belts, tires and most importantly my driving skills. Adding an intercom and trip meter will also be done, as well of going over the whole car to ensure we will last the 5 day event.

We entered with the plan to pay for the event ourselves, but will be sending out sponsorship package next week, as well as working with a charity. Do you know of anyone that would like to help fund two ambitious Cobra fans??
Old 04-17-2003, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leadfoot,

I would think for an event like this you would want a roll cage and a hard top? For night running in fog and rain, lights will be critical, too. I highly recommend the HID headlight conversion.

This looks like a ton of fun. I wish you were a little closer so I could run with you. Good luck with the sponsership.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-17-2003 at 12:36 PM..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We will not be running at night, although fog is a possibility. I am working on a roll bar/cage setup that is functional and will not butcher the car. The hardtop would be the practical thing to do.. but with 20 years of convertables... I have only ever put the top up when parked.

As I said, I feel somewhat over my head... but the reality is that I only have to drive as hard as I choose.

Of the 1300 miles (2000km), over the 5 days, only 350 miles (500km) will be run on the closed roads at speed. The other distance is run at normal "legal" speed limits, which should allow for rest between stages.

I don't pretend to know everything, so I am open to any support and suggestions in this endevour, and plan on using the knowledge base in clubcobra.

Last edited by leadfoot; 04-17-2003 at 04:13 PM..
Old 04-18-2003, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was able to trace a lot of the route on Mapquest. You mentioned 1300 miles? The total rally distance on the stage list page is 497 klicks (300 miles). Each day of the rally cover less than 100 miles. What's missing?

I suppose that you could do this while wet and cold. Just make sure the holes in the floor are big enough to let the water drain out. Have you thought of a bilge pump?

The special stages are timed to push you to the fastest possible speed, but the rally legs are TSD (time, speed, distance). Do you have a computer for this?

Paul
Old 04-18-2003, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I figure that if I go quick enough, I won't get wet.

There are actually two different classes you have to choose from, both over 5 days which are broker into 40 stages, with many classes depending on age of car, mods, engine capacity etc... Both of these classes run the same course, just at different speeds.

1. / Targa: 500 km (300 miles) timed "special stages", Base time gets harder and harder to meet over the stages, but no penalty for being too fast. Then 1500 km (900 miles) of "transition". Basically to move you to the next timed stage. They do give you a time to move to the next stage, but it is by no means difficult to make unless you had car troubles.

2. / Trials: 500 km of true T, Speed and Distance (TSD). I am told they have to maintain an average speed of approx 65mph, and each car is given a target time for the "race" stages, and penalized for being too fast OR slow. The transitions work the same as above.

I am planning on picking up a Rally computer (Tarratrip), as well as an intercom (Terraphone), as using an intercom and computer have been HIGHLY recommended.

I have decided on the Toyo RA1 tires (not shaved) to help me in the wet.

This summer, I am participating in Solo I and II , BMW club days (plenty of in car instruction), and then hopefully a weekend with "racing adventures" in Calgary. We will also do a couple of TSD rallies to get used to the computer and each other’s "style".

Is there anything else you would recommend? I am guessing you would have quite the experience with rallies with the handle "rallycobra".

I could always use a "support" crew if you have the itch to see the event in person??
Old 04-18-2003, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since you'll be running the Targa event, your timing is not too important, so the Terratrip will probably work fine. If you have to do any TSD legs or just want to have more accurate timing, take a look at the Afla Elite. The navigator punches in the average speed that you want to maintain and the start time. As you run, the driver's display shows you "AHEAD" or "BEHIND" with the amount of timing error displayed. When you adjust your speed within a hundredth of a minute, the display switches to a graph showng exactly how much ahead or behind the perfect zero you are. These clocks can time you up to 300 miles per hour with amazing accuracy. My navigator and I both own one. We sometimes run with both to ensure that we will continue to run accurately even if a rock takes out one of the wheel sensors.

Man, if you were closer I would be proud to be on your support crew.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-18-2003 at 04:22 PM..