14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default Racing Helmet Help?

My wonderful wife planned to buy me a custom painted helmet for the new Cobra as a suprise X-mas present. She didn't know what kind to get, or even where to buy it. I spent Thursday and Friday doing some research, but still haven't been able to zero in on where to buy one. I've tried "Simpson" and "Summit" (couldn't find "Jeggs") on the internet, but they only have 1 view of the helmet and a limited description. I spoke with "Simpson" yesterday but didn't get a whole lot of info.
I would love to get some feed back on where to go to see and try on different fulfaced helmets.
I assume that the helmets for autocross are different than most motorcycle helmets.
Carol (my wife) wants to do a custom "Cobra" layout for the paint job and then have someone do the actual airbrushing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry Lee
Old 12-28-2002, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Terry, First item don't buy a mototcycle helmet, that the first thing that is checked at driving event that requires helmets, and no one will approve a cycle helmet for car events. Next decision is open or closed face, the open face is cooler and more comfortable. But my question to you is..... this helmet for looks or safety, if the answer is safety, it must be closed face. Next item what brand, go to a store that has helmets that you can put on. All manufactures have different models and just like shoes, they all fit differently. Be aware if you are going to wear glasses inside the helmet, including sunglasses, they all have to fit and this can be a major problem. Example , when I go to buy new glasses, I take my helmet, the glasses are easier to change than a helmet and cheaper. Another item to consider is weight the lighter the helmet the better so... Check out the attached site, but always remember if you have a $10 head put it in a $10 helmet, we are only dealing with your life, one more thing don't let someone sell you and old helmet, it's probably out of date. All helmets have date codes it can't be over 5 years from the certified date. I think the latest is a 2000 date. http://www.comparocar.com/comparocar..._helmets-1.htm
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 12-28-2002, 07:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Terry,

The short and the simple answer here is to not buy a mail order helmut, but to go in to your local race shop and try one on until it fits properly. Ask for help in need be.....

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-28-2002, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought my G-Force full face Snell 2000A (Automotive) from here:
http://www.fullthrottleraceparts.com/index.htm
Prices was the best I could find on the net (~$250). Shop around, the only drawback from buying on the internet is you obviously can't try them on. Although you need only to measure the circumference of your head just above your ears to get the size. Mine fits good and am pleased with the quality. They also carry the Simpson line as well.

Ron
Ron Roth FFR #2271
Old 12-28-2002, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

interesting facts from Ron's website suggestion.

"We are often asked what the difference is between a Snell SA2000, M2000 or a K1998 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at -20 degrees, 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2000 specification is the base for the specs. Snell K1998, a spec designed for karting, uses a thicker shield. The SA2000, used primarily for auto racing, adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2000 also meets an additional rollbar impact test."
Old 12-28-2002, 02:57 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Custom Helmet by Fran Kress

You want a Cobra custom painted helmet?

http://www.cobracountry.com/kress/home.html

Now here is a Fran Kress Simpson custom painted Cobra helmet!

Dave Lowell
Old 12-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Helmet and Jegs

I just went through this. Jegs had the best deal on a GForce SA2000 helmet (what you will need to run in virtually any organization). They are at: http://www.jegs.com
Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

http://www.cobracountry.com/kress/kress-helmet.html
Old 12-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More Thoughts

Terry,
Search for a similarly-named thread here on ClubCobra in about February or March of this year that I started when looking for a helmet for VIR. Wonderful advice from a lot of smart and experienced folks. Rather than reiterating, I suggest you search on that thread name and read those helpful hints.

Over and above those, I do really recommend you do the fitting in person. Nothing I read on the web, even the quite helpful notes on the Simpson site would have avoided a lot of back and forth shipping. I ended up driving from Cincinnati to Indianapolis and getting the right helmet first time off. And as a very useful addition, got to try on a variety of gloves, driving suits, and shoes, so my purchase worked first time out and served me well at VIR (and, I expect in the coming Cranky season...)

Best,
Old 12-30-2002, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

Terry Lee, If you are near any of the big race tracks in Florida, there is probably a store that sells helmets nearby. I agree with those that recommended trying them on. Every style seemed to fit differently, even in the same size from the same manufacturer. You want it to be snug. I don't know when the new Snell standards come out, but you might want to check so that you don't buy one just before they make a new helmet, since these things do "expire" and you can't use them on the track if you don't have the acceptable Snell code. Usually they are good for several years, though.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/

http://www.araiamericas.com/

http://www.bellracing.com/

http://www.biefferacing.com/
Old 12-30-2002, 04:33 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default THANKS GUYS !!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I checked all out on the web.
I had seen the Kress helmet before, just can't justify $1300.00 for that helmet.
I did however order one thru Simpson Racing this afternoon. I found one that I think will really suits my needs and then some. SNELL SA 2000, carbon-kevlar shell, Nomex padding, air vents, and all fire retardant construction.
Carol and I have already started doing some sketches for the design.
Now all we need is to locate a really good air brush artist to do all the art work once I get the helmet and do the final layout. Any suggestions.
Thanks again.
TL
Old 12-30-2002, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: former Unique289
Not Ranked     
Default www.gforce.com

Try these guys. G-Force Racing Gear.
They are Cobra Club friendly and located in Alpharetta, Georgia.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

$1300.00 for a HELMET?

My wife would like to voice her opinion of what's INSIDE the helmet, if I ever spent $1300.00!

hummmm, on the other hand...didn't I just recently upgrade my life insurance...?

BTW: For all of you guys still working on your wife's permission to get a Cobra...just tell her you'd rather buy a motorcycle! You'll be amazed at fast they'll come around!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Forgot to post this earlier...I'll call it, "Helmet Testing at 140 MPH"

...roadracing back in the early '80s
SpeedFreak
"Common Sense, Isn't"
Attached Images