Not Ranked     

Lew

You may see mine being finished up.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Being that my friend Mr.Jamo is a highly regarded legalman, I pose this question to him!!! Mr Jamo sir, If I do indeed purchase Shelby's replica of the Kirkham, can I get in the darn picture at a SAAC event or not???? I am just a poor owner of a B&B Cobra replica, they will not let me in the whine and cheese circles!!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Sorry Gordy--no pictures for you.

Nothing to do with which make of Cobra you have. It's that Bakersfield thing they can't quite overlook.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Jamo:

I take full responsibility.

Ron:

Talk to Brent. Maybe we can make this topic a major category in the General Discussion area ( like we have with "Transmission Talk" or "GT-40 forum". ) It seems to have a life of its own.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Old 01-17-2003, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

A different perspective from a guy who owns a REAL/AUTHENTIC/REPLICA/CONTINUATION/NEW GENERATION (whatever you want to call it) COBRA....

It is true that a CSX4000 by Shelby will cost you more than a comparable Kirkham, ERA, SPF or whatever.

I am really not sure that it would cost $50,000 or $40,000 or even $30,000.
I owned an ERA not long ago, that I still miss. It may very well have been the best car out there bar none. It may even be better than the car I got now. No argument from me!

I know what I had in that car, and I also know what others have invested in some of their cars.
The diffeence between the high line replicas and a Shelby maybe closer to $20.000 and maybe less for a comparably equipped car.

If you adjust for the aluminum premium, you may find that the difference is nowhere near the amounts being mentioned.

So my question is, if you end up spending $20,000 for that added extra (that does not make the car better) but helps on the long run , is it still a bad investment?

If I paid $20,000 more for my Shelby I am looking at that premium as an option on that car. It is probably one option that will probably never depreciate..

I will preempt any arguments by saying that,
I am not claiming that badge, name plaque, makes my car better. I think $20,000 more spent on the engine suspension transmission will make the car better and faster.

However I would be willing to bet, 5-10 years from now, whatever I paid extra for the Shelby name, the badge the signed dash (all those frivilous items) will be worth every bit of what I paid. So I don't look at it as a bad investment. It should be easy to recover down the road.

It is like putting money in the bank, it may even appreciate as well.

Please don't pile in here and tell me my car is NOT any better as a result of that pedigree. I am NOT claiming that it is. I am not defending the car, or it;'s performance, or it's quality, or it's authenticity. None of that.

All I am doing is defending the rationale of paying $20,000 or maybe even less for the Shelby name. Did I just blow $20,000 or will I be able to recover that? I am betting that I will.

If someone doesn't have the additional funds to pay or can't justify paying the premium why delay the purchase and not buy a Cobra, any Cobra. If you have the money you may want to give them a call and find out what a similar car will cost, then compare the two cars and decide which one is a better long term investment.

Kirkham builds a nice car, and it is aluminum too. It is so good they supply Shelby with many of their Aluminum Body and frame cars for Shelby to finish off. How bad can they be?

Get the best price you can from the Kirkhams and shop Shelby for the same car . It should be very clear at that point if the difference is $50,40,30, or $20. Then decide.

If it doesn't make sense, buy the Kirkham. If it makes sense buy the other.
To me that would be the best way to decide what YOU should do, not what we think you should do!

Was a Proud ERA Owner
Now a Proud Shelby Owner.

Had I have bought an SPF, I would have said the same thing.

THEY ARE ALL GOOD!!!

TURK
Old 01-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You slut.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOTTA GIVE EM A GOOD SPANKIN!!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Turk: Well put. Factually accurate too!

Lew: Most of these cars are good cars. ERA, SPF, B&B, Midstates, A&C etc..

For historical and aesthetic accuracy you can't beat the SAI or Kirkham. They are literally exact clones of the original series being CAD reverse engineered in every detail. Each part on these cars are interchangable with the parts of an original series Cobra.

Last edited by REAL 1; 01-17-2003 at 07:21 AM..
Old 01-17-2003, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well said Mr. Turk. One question, did you pay the SAI premium for the investment or for the value that it provides to you reguardless of the investment?
Old 01-17-2003, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If the two cars (Kirkham and Shelby) are virtually the same the value is in both. True I had to pay a premium. Was there a value in that premium I paid? Probably not.

Will there be a few months or few years down the road? I hope so. If I can get what I paid down the road, then the premium was not wasted.

It is a little different than flying 1st. Class. When the plane lands it matters not if you were sitting in the back or the front. You are there. The premium expires!!

It would be very dificult to claim there was a whole lot of value in that!! But, as the flight is in progress one feels that, there is plenty of value in eating out of china vs. eating out of styrofoam.

However that premium is not redemable. I am hoping mine is!!

Did I answer your question to your satisfaction? I KNOW I answered it to MINE.

You Ford guy you!!

TURK
Old 01-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

,,,,but how can one EVER be comfortable in coach again once you have experienced first class? In a way, thats what the Excalibur (Classic Roadster, same same) did for me. LOTS of room, comfortable, nice tight top. OK, not "that" accurate, but dam comfortable! The preference for me will be on "daily driver", so I got to have a BIG Cobra.

I sure do admire Hal, driving his small Cobra as much as he does! Seems pretty rare to find anyone who puts a lot of miles on them. I know I did!

Ernie
Old 01-17-2003, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Well, I entered my car in the 23rd Annual GM Performance Series World of Wheels at the Waco Convention Center. Only Cobra in a room FULL of "Vettes, some pretty formidible, like a yellow/purple '64 427 Comp car. Talk about a cool reception. Sheesh. You guys prepared me well. I'll post a couple pics in the gallery in a few minutes. Downloading them now. We'll see. What a hoot if I won. I'd need a police line to get to the podium.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Turk, if I understand(which I am not sure I do), the answer would be "both". I think, but I ain't sure(that'd be me unsure not you).
Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

OK, I'll jump in too...

This is all real interesting. Obviously lots of people are really sensitive about what their car is/isn't. When I bought my car I didn't buy a Shelby, an AC, or a cobra or an anything else, I bought an SPF. That was what I wanted. I looked at all of them, Shelby, Kirkham, SPF, ERA, etc.. I (that's right... "I"... me, myself and I, nobody else) liked the SPF for what I wanted the car for. I think it's a better car for ME, that's my opinion. But you know opinions are like ***holes, everyone's got one! That doesn't necessarily make them valuable. Now, if you buy a certain car and then just want to argue with other owners about who's got a replica and who doesn't, then maybe you did make the wrong choice, maybe you did buy an ERA only cause you couldn't afford a Shelby and now your sensitve about the 'replica' thing. And if you buy a Shelby and then just run around saying it's real, it's real, thats silly too. For those who start saying they want to put people "into a wall" They need to either grow up or find a wall themselves. That is just childish behavior. I don't know about the rest of you but I finished high school a long time ago. It was a blast, but I don't want to go back. That's MY opinion, ha!

John
SPF 1421- not a Shelby, Kirkham, or AC just a really nice car
Old 01-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks John - well said and I agree with you.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jhein,
I am not sure if you were adressing your comments to me or not ,but in case you were.....Did you really read what I wrote?

I could care less about the REAL or not argument. Others are more vocal about that than I.

I was only justifying "WHY" Shelby in my case.
I don't remember writing anything that could possibly be considered anything but my take on the reasons for buying one over another.

I just got finished saying " I was not sure Shelby was a better car".

I finished acknowledging the fact that my car was nothing more than a Kirkham with a Shelby badge. Nothing more.

Where did you get the fueling from my post to come after me? What is it that I said that made you be so blunt to remind us that we all possess the same features. Opinions and A$$holes.
We already knew that. Some have a little more emphasis on their opinions, some on their A$$es!

If your post was not directed at me....never mind then.If it was,

1-I did buy the ERA because I couldn't afford a Shelby. True!
2-No I am not sensitive about The "replica' thing at all. As a matter of fact I would rather have the ERA back.
3-I am NOT saying my car is any more REAL than my ERA was..

Now if you were not directly responding to me, maybe I need to go back to that highschool you are referring to, for additional reading classes. I will take you along so you can pick up some WRITING lessons.

I am very impressed with the tenacity of your post considering it was your "Number 2". Not bad, not bad at all.....
You wouldn't happen to be .....neah never mind.

TURK
Old 01-18-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Yo Turk - I AM the one that needs to go back to high school...Maybe I'll do my MBA again too...

Sorry John, I hear people who own Shelbys bragging about them for that simple fact, cause it's REAL...and I wanna put them in a wall, what can I say ? It pisses me off...Does that mean I'm still in high school ? I think not, just irritated man, and you only make the chaffing worse...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Turk left out another factor beyond financial investment.

I didn't buy the CSX because of investment value. If I wanted investment value there are other options that are better. I bought the CSX because its a Shelby and because of its unique place as the only car being made currently that is not merely a replica of a Cobra but because it IS a COBRA.

There is an intangible value to owning a REAL Cobra. At least to me. Obviously some limit their definition of "REAL" for whatever reason to mean only "original". Thats fine. Not factually accurate but thats fine.

No. I don't run around telling everyone my car is REAL. That comment was obviously directed at me. My signature line is a response to the perpetual comments or knocks stemming from "sour grapes". Not that I really care what others here say knowing it stems in large part from sour grapes but just to make clear my position which is based on FACT.

Many here have no problem knocking CS and his cars. Many here have no problem arguing that the second generation Cobra is not a real Cobra does not deserve to be considered so. Many here support such arguments and pile on.

The "anti" CSX arguments usually follow from simple FACTUAL statements made by me as to what the new CSX is in the context of questions posed in a thread. The "anti" CSX crowd at times becomes so emotional at times as to threaten running others into the wall. Sour grapes and CSX envy at its best. This usually comes from those that couldn't or can't afford a CSX.

There are many who don't evidence the envy or sour grapes and don't own a CSX and clearly understand the simple and factual statements being made by CSX owners, most notatbly me. These guys are happy with what they have and obviously made a decision they didn't want a Shelby for whatever reason. Those guys have my respect.

I'm not sensative about the "replica" thing. Maybe others are. Technically the new CSX is a replica. No problem.

There clearly is a premium charged to own a CSX. That premium buys you a car that is considered a Cobra factually and legally. When others attack that pedigree I just repectfully point out they are wrong.

It seems to be within the rules here to attack the CSX cars but cleraly out of bounds to defend the "knocks" with the facts. I don't accept that.

Some here eventhough owning a CSX wish to remain politically correct. Thats fine.

I don't give a crap about remaining politically correct. I state it like it is. Just the facts. Those facts are obviously found caustic by those with CSX envy. Sorry can't help that.

The term Cobra is just a name. In the 60's Shelby put Cobra badges on AC's. Today he puts badges on Kirkhams. So what. They are both factually and legally Cobras. One vintage series one new series. Its that simple.

Original Shelby's bring a premium over orignianl AC's. New Shelbys bring a premium over a Kirkham. The name obviously has a value as determined by the market. The "Shelby" name is historically very significant. Like it or not.

What car is better? ERA or SAI or anything else. Thats a loaded question. Depends on what "better" means to you. "Better" to me is to have a Cobra as opposed to a car that just looks like one.

Finally, while I don't run around telling people my car is REAL unsolicited, I sure do tell them its a REAL Cobra if asked while making clear its his new/second generation Cobra. In every case without exception people are in awe and amazed with the car and excited to be looking at a Shelby Cobra and not a car that just looks like one.

Last edited by REAL 1; 01-18-2003 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-18-2003, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

Turk,

Are you OK now? You seemed a bit worked up there. Just to clarify things for you, my post wasn't really directed at any individual (except for the guy who wants to run people off the track). Actually, your posts seem relatively rational and tame, they seemed to me to actually add to the discussion. Based on your response I'm not sure you really understood my post, although I thought it was pretty clear. Perhaps I do need to learn how to write. I never did enjoy english very much in school, still have nightmares about it. Maybe you can tutor me?

John
SPF 1421

PS: Next time you go off on someone make sure you have cause for it. The format of your post "if you meant this, then take that, if not then take this" is an interesting attempt to cover all possible interpretations of my post. Next time just pick one and go for it!! If your wrong then you can try again. I think I need to stick to technical posts, these emotional ones are so draining.