LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2003, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351Cleveland
Not Ranked     
Unhappy VBNASCAR (Bob Waldman) in hospital UPDATED 1/1/03

UPDATE 1/1/03
Bob called me just a few minutes ago so now we have the information for real.
Bob was in the slow lane when a fast moving car came up behind him. Apparently the driver was arguing with his girlfriend. He tried to pass Bob on the right shoulder and lost control. Bob first saw him beside him and was wondering what he was doing. The driver lost control and his car punched Bob on the right side which then drove him across three lanes of traffic straight into the cement center divider. One other car was involved but not known how.
Bobs femur was driven up and THROUGH the hip joint about 3 inches. Nothing else was broken however, he has bruises and scrapes. Bob was operated on yesterday for about 2 hours by a very respected orthopedic surgeon. The reason surgery was put off was to get this particular surgeon. He was able to put the pieces together so a replacement was not needed. (Bob probably will never pass a metal detector again - my comment)
Bob will be in the hospital for about a week before coming back to Ventura where he will continue his therapy. He will be on crutches for 3 months.
Debbie got away with a cracked ankle, NO CAST, bruises and scrapes.
Bobs mailing address is:

Good Samaritan Hospital
Attn: Bob Waldman, Room 24
1225 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90017

If you have an extra buck or two, send him a card.
John Wais
Jwais50290@aol.com
Old 01-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
Thanks for keeping us updated. Do you think he would be up to accepting any phone calls?
Later, Steve
Old 01-01-2003, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351Cleveland
Not Ranked     

Yes
He called me so I know he can talk.
Probably would be a good idea.
Don't have the number though.
John W.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Glad I checked in

John,
Thank you for posting this info. I haven't even looked here for some time. Must be karma or something. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow,

I hope Bob has a speedy recovery. As someone who has visited the orthopedic surgeon 4 times in the last 8 months, I can honestly relate to Bob's situation.

Good luck and it sounds like the ortho doc did wonders. That is great!

Regards,

Keith
Old 01-02-2003, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool 1/2/2003 Update!!!

Talked to Bob this AM.... Phone # @ hospital is 213 977-2121... He is room 724 & you can direct dial thru the auto-attendant by putting an 8 before the room #....

Bob is in good spirits but in a lot pain... Debbie answered and was pretty banged up too... They were in the PT crusier and it was totalled... Thank goodness it wasn't the Cobra... As Bob stated, "It could have been worse"...

Bob said that he was standing yesterday but was told not to put any weight on the leg... He said the doctor told him that he would probably be released this weekend... As John stated previously, 3 months of rehab to follow...

Hey, Steve D***ey, wassup??? E-mail me with your status or start a new post on ERA 606...

spotterjoe

Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool Hey Steve D***ey!!!

Steve ,

Check out the post #'s... Here is your chance to beat me to 200, eventhough I got there 1St the 1st time.... What happened to the numbering system???

spotterjoe

Old 01-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spotter,
I noticed the posts about a week ago. It seems about 50 posts dropped out. Speaking about dropping out.........where the H have you been?
I just got off the phone with Bob. As you said he is in good spirits. Sounds a whole lot more up beat than I would in a similar situation. He has been trying to ease off the pain meds and just take them prior to physical therapy. Debbie is having her ribs looked at again Friday.
My conversation with him was cut a bit short as the Cops showed up at my door. A neighbor called this morning at 4:45am to let me know that someone had broken out the window of my car. I'm just sorry I wasn't cleaning my 12ga at the time. So, I figured I'd fill out a Police report.
Anywho, #606 has been moving very slow since I ran over my ankle a month ago. Never, I repeat never jump out of a moving Cobra and attempt to push it. The rear wheel is right behind the door!! It has only been a week that I have been able to move well enough to get the car up on jack stands and see what happened. Seems I routed the plastic oil pressure line to close to the header and the heat after 30min. of running was hot enough to cause the line to burst under the pressure. What a mess.

Steve D***ey
Old 01-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spotter,
Beat you again