28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dodge Viper Questions

I may be getting ahead of myself, but my next dream car after I finish my Cobra is a used Viper. Can anyone recommed a good website or book so I can start my research?
I'm not ready to buy yet, but I want to start doing my homework now.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

There are only 3 of them within 100 miles of you house for sale on this site. If you expand the search to 200 miles, it increases to 17 cars.

Auto Trader

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 01-05-2003, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff, you're slipping, I thought you were going to send him to the lounge.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

southernfriedcj:

Damn, how did I miss that. Thanks.

rbray:

This sould be posted in the lounge.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 01-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re:

Rbray,

I have two close friends that are currently looking to sell their 94/95 Vipers to buy Cobras. One of them sold his last big block Cobra for a Viper, and is going back to Cobras again because he misses that raw feeling and sound that a Cobra provides... if you are looking at one of the gen1 Vipers, you might want to drive one before you give up your Cobra - its completely different, in many ways. If you are in to the handling aspects...some guys are putting Viper sized wheels & Michelin Pilot tires on their Cobras now, just like the Vipers, and are getting the handling results they were looking for, and are more satisfied now - if you don't mind the 17" look on a Cobra.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A Viper is a Cobra on steroids: a want-to-be. Why mess with an original? Why mess with the natural? Keep the Cobra and let the Vipers go for sale.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If all it takes to make a Cobra handle like a Viper or Vette is a set of 17" wheels and tires I wonder why we don't see any pro teams running Cobras in SCCA or 24 hr. endurance racing?

Cranky
Old 01-05-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A Cobra is raw. It is much more exciting that a "refined" Corvette, Viper, or whatever. You are comparing 60's technology enhanced to the latest in current technology. The modern cars have ABS, traction control, magnetic shocks, active suspension, engine management, and lots more. Not to mention that they are much easier on drivers: less noise and easier steering among other things.

The Cobra is pure raw excitement. It is a drivers car. Learn to control a high torque and hp Cobra and the others are comparatively "a piece of cake."
Old 01-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

One has to admire the "no spin" comments by Cranky. He and Bill O'Reilly should team up. A perceptive point, as usual.

Roger:

Have you ever driven a Viper? If you haven't, and all power issues aside, you will find it to be a BIG car. Somewhat deceiving from the outside. I have driven a couple of Coupes on an AutoX and the hood seemed six miles long. The shifter rests on a very high center console which isn't good with my meek stature of 5'7". It didn't seem like a Sports Car to me because of the size. Quite a contrast from a Cobra. Very quiet exhaust which I didn't like, either. Hard to beat the sound emanating from those Cobra pipes. The Coupe is tough to beat in the looks department, though. From a power point of view, it is a brute.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cal.
I have never driven a Viper. I have been out braked and out cornered by them.While I am trying to wrestle my car thru the high speed corners the guys in the Vipers got one hand on the wheel while trying to take a sip out of a shaken not stirred Martini in the other hand.Oh yea all the while relaxing in an air conditioned drivers compartment.
I do however make more noise, so I guess I get some points for that.

Cranky
Old 01-05-2003, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up A couple of useful websites

www.viperclub.org has classifieds nicely broken down by year and model (GTS and RT/10). They always have several of each year model, often with pictures, and the prices seem as reasonable as anywhere. They also have parts for sale. Also, go to the Auto Trader website (www.traderonline.com) for probably the most comprehensive listing anywhere. Do a nationwide search and you will find all you can handle...

Bob
Old 01-05-2003, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Rbray, the Viper is an excellant choice, it looks great and handles great. I did just what you are doing just in reverse, I bought the Viper first and then the Cobra, a great Saturday is the Viper in the morning and the Cobra in the evening, (must get something for Sunday). The Viper is not a tame car, I have the RT-10. I hve had the Viper at 150 MPH and it sticks like glue and is not scarey at all, I could not conceive going that fast in my Cobra. The Viper is quiet if you have a factory exhaust but the cobra can be quiet also with the depending on exhaust. Neither of my cars are quiet, they have never met a car alarm they could not set off. Vipers are an excellant deal right now, the best web site is www.viperclub.org This is the Viper Club of America's web site. Once you get your Viper you can put it in the garage with the Cobra and name your garage the Snake Pit.

What a lasting tribute to Mr. Shelby!

Oh Boy now I did it, got to get out of here

The Spitz
Old 01-05-2003, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

snakeeyes, you must type with all of your fingers.

Spitz
Old 01-05-2003, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Just get a Dayton kit. If set up correctly it will trounce a Viper, sound better look cooler and ride better and you can have air, traction control, And still run whit with all your cobra buddies and not have them make fun of you. Well, not much any way. Look at Matt Adams VSE he has a new one in the works the FFR and SPF there are utters to.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow!
Thanks for all the input. It will be a few years before I will be able to afford another "toy" car.
I was just visiting the F5 website and looked at their new Super Car prototype. Looks pretty cool . Who knows what other great kit cars will be on the market before I am ready to buy again.
I do think the Vipe has a timeless tool to it though ..

Thanks again for all the information
Old 01-05-2003, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car sold - SPF, Roush 402- Royal Blue-white stripe
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Viper Fun

I got the Viper first (2002 RT/10), now the Cobra. The Viper's a load of fun and handles well up to near the limit. Once there it will bite you quickly if you step over the line. Not much warning from the rear end. As the others state, the interior is all about driving. The newer models have the bells and whistles- HVAC, PW, good sound system, PL, improved tops, etc. The stock exhaust sound is piss-poor unless you really get on it. Get the Corsa 3" cat back system and free-flow cats. Much better sound, less heat and a bit more power. Viper Club of America is the best place to begin looking. Also look for books:
"Viper"- Matt Stone, Motorbooks Int.
"Viper"- Publications International, Ltd.
"Dodge Viper", Dan Carney, MBI Publishing.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:40 AM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by rbray

Wow!
I was just visiting the F5 website and looked at their new Super Car prototype. Looks pretty cool . Who knows what other great kit cars will be on the market before I am ready to buy again....
http://www.attackforums.com

Personally, I think the older Vipers are on sale now because the brand new ones are sooo much better. I a few years, you might start looking for 2003's and newer to buy used.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

soooo much uglier also.

Spitz
Old 01-06-2003, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to DanElam Send a message via AIM to DanElam
Not Ranked     
Talking Vipers and Cobras

They are very different cars. I have both and have really enjoyed them. They are pretty different cars. The Cobra will usually have faster acceleration (which is saying something!) The Viper has much better handling and rock solid stablity at speeds over 100MPH. The Viper is a throwback to simple performance. Most people consider them to be pretty basic. 92s are the most basic. 93-95 are still raw. 96+ finally got door handles and windows. The tops leak on all of the roadsters and the tires are so big you still can't safely drive the RT or the GTS when it gets wet. Funny thing is, when I go from the Spec Racer to the Viper, the Viper almost feels civilized! Cranky is right though: no matter what you do to a Cobra it isn't going to be able to touch a Viper on the track. And a track-tuned Viper can only be beat by a factory-backed Vette. It is absolutely amazing what you can make a Viper do.

The Viper draws more attention, but the Cobra sounds *way* better. (Bob Lutz, former Chairman of Chrysler, once noted that was his big disappointment in the car.) Either way, the Viper and Cobra are really popular!

As long as people are going to do the flame stuff, let me assure you that every car crowd has their own views and jealousies. The Viper crowd tends to be jealous of Lambos and Ferraris. The Vette crowd tends to be jealous of Vipers. Ferraris get jealous of Vipers and Moslers. Etc. I will say there aren't too may Viper owners jealous of Cobra replicas, but many are jealous of real Cobras.

Ironically, as for me, I think over the holidays I have decided to sell my Viper. I find that I don't drive it as often as the Spec Racer (and neither really gets driven on the street that often). I am very grateful for having had the Viper experience (and the Viper Nation is incredibly fun). If I hadn't had one, I would probably always lust for one.

What will I get next if I do sell? I dunno. I am thinking of a Ferrari 355 or maybe a vintage Aston-Martin D4. Why? Just for something different. Another experience in life.

As for web sites, there is really only one:

www.ViperClub.org It is, by far, the HQ for Viper nation!

Best wishes. Have fun. Ignore the flames.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Dealer

Rbray,

When it's time to buy, Check out:

http://www.woodhouseviper.com/

My Uncle traded his 95 RT-10 for a 2001 gts with them last year. He said that Bill Pemberton is a real straight shooter. Deal was closed on a Friday. The car was shipped from Nebraska and arrived in Virginia on Monday! Apparently lots of folks on the Viper club website have bought their cars from Woodhouse and have had good experiences.

Good luck,

JB

Personally for the money I'd rather have a Cobra.