LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Philly region "Cobra Revolution" gathering official thread

OK,
We have a few loose threads floating around about the Philly region BBQ that I'm trying to put together. I'm going to try to consolidate everything onto this thread and keep it handy.

Here's what I have so far. I've gotten lots of positive feedback about the idea, so it's a go. It seems the majority of people favor a date in June, as do I.

I contacted Valley Forge Park, and they told me that I would only need a permit if we were going to have over 100 people. The permit only costs $50, so it is no big deal. I think I'll get the permit to be sure we get a date reserved and can have as many people as we want. They couldn't gaurantee a specific spot in the park, but it is so big and spread out, I doubt room will be an issue. The only thing I'll have to look into is parking. I'll have to go scout the park out for the best areas.

EDIT: I have picked a date, Saturday June 7th. Low heat, long daylight, not a racing weekend, and still two weeks from DVSFIII (which I plan to attend also). It was pointed out to me that this is likely going to be the weekend of the first Factory Five open house. I called FFR, and they said they didn't have the date set in stone, but that would probably be their date. I think they have more than one open house, so I don't think it should be a conflict for people who want to see the FFR factory. And Factory Five is a few hundred miles from here, so I don't think we'd get too much cross over. So June 7th it will be.

I want to post this to as many places as I can. The bigger the turnout, the better. I know it was suggested by Jack21 for me to post to the Washington DC club, which I will do. Does anyone know other clubs that I should post this to?

Several people have also mentioned a cruise, which I'm all for. The park itself has a long road, but it is inside the park, so the speed limit is probably pretty low. I can check maps and the general area for longer, better roads.

Anyone who wants to help me plan this, I'd love to hear suggestions, thoughts, comments, ideas, whatever.

I will work on posting directions, links to maps, etc....

Thanks for everyones support, and I'm looking forward to this.

Steve

Last edited by klayfish; 01-13-2003 at 05:27 PM..
Old 01-13-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve:

This sounds like a great plan, and VF park is close to all of the major highways. The permit would be a good idea; better safe than sorry. Count on my help.

The park is near and dear to my heart for many reasons, and I have a suggestion for the location. As you enter the park heading east on Route 23 just past Route 252, there's a large area to the left down the hill with a large parking area. It's also about a half mile from the chapel and carillon so we'd avoid the main crowd and congestion of the multitude of cars and buses. Let's meet some weekend and I'll show you.

The park roads are nice for a short, slow, scenic hop, but if folks want to enjoy a longer cruise, we could plan a route through the back roads of Chester and/or Berks counties. Friends who organzed the Radnor Hunt and Concours d'Elegance had a terrific rally, and if there's interest I could get their route. That may be a bit ambitious however, since we'd probably have to have a chase car or two to retrieve lost participants.

Go EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Your going to have to ask the parks permission before you rope off any parking spaces...Better get that done and out of the way now, as later that could be a real problem in a "public park"............Got to get there awfully early that morning to save those spots, as they will indeed fill up quite fast.........

Bill S.....

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-14-2003, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
Thanks for the suggestions, and I may just take you up on your offer to meet in the park. I'm pretty familiar with some of the park, my wife and I go there in the summer. We usually park at the church, so I think I know where you're referring to. I'd like to do a cruise if others are up for it. I agree the park will be a slow cruise. I have to look at my map to figure out where we can go. I do know that out my way, in Collegeville, there are some good roads heading north. From 23, we could go through Phoenixville, to Rt. 29. 29North is pretty good. But we can plan that as time goes on. Sometime over the next week or two, we can meet in the park and get some ideas.

As for the parking, Bill, you are right. I already asked the park about it. They said as long as we can put the cars in legal areas we are fine. There are several spots that really aren't "public" parking areas like a big parking lot. If we find a picnic area with a large area for cars, we can probably get parking priority with our permit. They did tell me the permit will give us priority at a spot we want. Also, I'm going to go to them with photos of our cars and show them what we'll be doing, I'm pretty sure they'll give us some wiggle room for parking.

Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Just in case, can we make Sunday a rain date?

Roscoe
Old 01-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, that is what I was thinking about. I will have to discuss it with the park to make sure I wouldn't need another permit for that. I doubt it though. But, yes, our rain date will be Sunday, June 8th.

Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is coming together so nicely. I hope the barbque/cookout turns out this well. Are we going to cook ourselves? Any help that is needed in planing food or regerstration, set up or logostics, please let me know either email or PM. Thanks.
I think a drive would be good, fun and what most people would want to do, but logistics about a drive, Map. time, before food, after food. I know this is still in the planning stage, just questions I have, maybe puting the cart before the horse.
Date secured, the rest will fall into place at planning continues.

Good Job.

Corky
Old 01-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received the application for a permit from Valley Forge Park today. It states "A non-refundable processing fee is required to accompany this application unless the requested use is an exercise of a First Amendment right." So what do you guys think? Are we excercising our First Amendment rights here? We speak softly, but we drive biiiiiiiiiig sticks!!!!!

Corky,
I plan to start working on the details very shortly, and would welcome any suggestions and/or help. At this point, I think we will be cooking for ourselves, doing simple BBQ. We can get people to bring the other stuff, such as chips and soda. Sorry guys, the application says no alcohol (but since we're driving, no big deal). I think I'll do the registration as we get closer to the date. But the logistics, planning and organization part needs to get started before long.

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people have said they will come. Gonna be a blast!!

Steve

Last edited by klayfish; 01-14-2003 at 04:42 PM..
Old 01-14-2003, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve,
Does that mean I have to leave the "T" out of my TnT's

Club Cranky assistant Libations Mgr.

Cranky
Old 01-14-2003, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats right Cranky, no tonic allowed. Since you wouldn't have a car there, you can be one of the designated passengers.

McFEz
Old 01-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cranky,
I guess when you leave the park, you can make double Ts. Does no alcohol mean that John McMahon won't come?

Steve