23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Kandy colors and hard choices

Well it took me almost six months of driving my car with a gel coat on it to finally make up my mind what color to paint it. Blue with white stripes, I know, 6 months to decide to do whats been done to death. The thread on the kandy colors really helped me make up my mind, I am going with Kandy apple blue with pearl strips, hopefully it will look the part only much deeper and richer. The painter uses only House of Kolor products and gave me a graet price for a complicated paint job such as this, $4,000. That includes everything. I was figuring on that for a stright up paint job, anyway its set to go in the first of Feburary, I'm real excited, now just need to find time to finish the small odds and ends.

What do you good people think of Kandy apple blue with pearl sripes, also a silver base. Are there any other cars around with the Kandy and pearl?

The Spitz

The Spitz
Old 01-14-2003, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Spitz,

That sounds great to me, too. as much as I like my Ferrari red color, sometimes I's like to be a little more subtle. I probably would have gone blue and white with the last paint job except for the additional expense of the clear coats. Besides I knew I would get chips and wanted to be able to touch them up without worrying about matching the multi-layer paint.

Honestly, I don't see that many blue and white Cobras here in LA. I think it's a good choice.

Please post pictures,
Paul
Old 01-14-2003, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Rallysnake thanks very much for the reply, I was beginning to think no one cared. I happed to love red cars but already have a red one. This painter had a low rider with Kandy apple red almost done and WOW it was beautiful, sooooo deep. I told him I would need mine to be that deep. Anyway I will post pictures when I get it done.

Thanks again for the reply.

Spitz
Old 01-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spitz,

I have a red car w/ pearl stripes . If i could snap my fingers and make it kandy apple blue , i'd do it in a second!

snap!! snap!!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

KobraKarl, thanks for your input it really helps me reinforce my decision to go with blue, we do have alot of Blue with white in my area but I have not seen Kandy with pearl so I'm anxious to see the finished product.

Spitz
Old 01-23-2003, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

If you wanted to be REALLY different, check out the various colors on all the manufacturers' sedans. Tauruses, (taurusii?) Accords, Camrys, Lincolns, Chryslers, all have subdued, muted colors on the sedans. A lot of beiges, "champagnes", and softer colors to choose. I dont know if any are available in the Kandy colors. Like I said, if you want to be REALLY different..............................

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Neutral     
Default house of kolor blue

If you want to see HOK 44 blue with 36 pearl white stripes, go to either www.cobracountry.com/pegasus or www.427cobras.com.

Those are the colors that the Pegasus Performance car is painted. Hope you enjoy the preview! It is a head turner, show stopper combination.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Bob Lockett, I sure appreciate your reply, Is there a darker Kandy blue? this looks lighter then the one I picked out, While This color is beautiful, I would go for a little darker if possible. Any ideas.

Loved your web site, I sure wish you luck, I would be talking to you if I didn't already have the cobra, lots of goodies on your cars.

Spitz
Old 07-06-2003, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

Spitz.,... ask you painter to show you a HOK paint chip chart. HOK offer about 4 zillion color choices and if that isnt enough your painter can mix dry pearls, large flakes, or small flakes in the paint. And if that isnt enough, he can use any number of Shimrin or Kandy bases that arent shown. In short....its infinite. A word of caution though... I'd stick with the color chart colors. WHEN, not IF, you get a ding or a scratch, it will be almost impossible to spot paint the hickey. To directly answer your question, YES! There a number of stock, darker HOK Kandy blues...and they are GORGEOUS!!

For info only, PE uses 4 coats of primer ( white, pink, yellow, grey ) to seal our Kevlar (R) body. Then 6 to 8 coats of base ( Shimrin or Kandy ). Then 6 to 10 coats of tint color(s). Then 4 coats of clearcoat. Can you do it with less? Can you polish gelcoat? Can you use MAACO? "Yes" to all the foregoing!

But there is NO substitute for multiple coats -- wet, block sanded and dry polished between processes to give you that deep " look down INTO the finish" show quality paint job.

Drop me a line if I may be of any further help or you may call me on my cell 913-636-6303.

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 07-07-2003, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

bobl, thanks for all of the great information, my painter is just now finishing up my paint job. I went with kobalt blue over blue with pearl white/silver stripes. the color is amazing. I think I will be very happy with it although I believe I only got 5 or 6 coats of tint, do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks again

Spitz
Old 07-07-2003, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think you will have a problem. As long as the color looks deep enough and you're happy... nothing else matters.

All the best...

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 07-07-2003, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks again bobl, good luck with your business.

Spitz
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Any photos of the candy blue after painting? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
Any photos of the candy blue after painting? Thanks!

You do realize that you just responded to a thread that died almost TEN YEARS ago

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
You do realize that you just responded to a thread that died almost TEN YEARS ago
Yep, and hopefully if the original poster is not tuned in some others will share their House of Kolor experiences and outcomes.

I'm planning on using this paint on my car, and doing it myself, so feedback from DIY painters would be very useful.

Thanks!