Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default FFR vs. A&C - Handling

Which car would be a better handling car, both in g force and slalom. . . An A&C with coil overs and a FFR with coil overs and solid rear?

I know, it's not that easy, but what do you think?
Old 01-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default IRS

Assuming both are setup correctly I'll put my money on a Cobra with IRS over live axle. ANY brands you want to run, same rule would apply.

Ernie
Old 01-14-2003, 04:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

As stated by Ernie,

If both cars are set up the same (driveline, suspension, driver, etc), they will both handle the same....Now, if you are using an IRS vs solid axle, then the IRS will handle better than the plain jane solid axle car..........Also take a look at the new three link suspension offering from FFR, as I have heard this is a nice inbetween choice from the solid axle(standard suspension) or the IRS only.............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

This is a very interesting theorical question. I believe that either car could be built to very competitive levels based on how much money was available. If the tires are the same, the deciding factor would be the smoothness of the racing surface. If the track is very smooth, I believe that the live rear axle is a better choice because it keeps the tires almost exactly perpendicular to the track for maximum traction. If the surface is irregular, the higher unsprung weight of the rear axle assembly will cause the tires to lose contact to the track more often and the advantage would go to the independent rear end.

Paul
Old 01-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hmmmm,,,,,

Smooth surface might favor a live axle??? Contemplating that and I can see your point (and raise you one)...

I think a sway bar on the IRS would provide the the right amount of weight transfer on a smooth surface track and thus still out perform a live axle. Some like sway bars, some don't, I think they are a MUST HAVE myself.

My Excal had the 9" Ford four link (sway bars front and rear), certainly nothing special, but I got to tell you, it WOULD stick like glue. Yokohama road race rubber helped a LOT! The track here (Hawaii Raceway Park) is a rough surface track, by the way. So no matter WHAT you run, the Cobras, in general, are pretty darn decent in the corners against what ever your up against.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-14-2003 at 06:28 PM..
Old 01-15-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     

My A&C has WIDE rear rubber 295x50. I don't think the FF can accomodate that much meat. (I've been wrong before!)
Old 01-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmm,,,thats interesting. I didn't know the FFR's had a "clearance" issue with the rubber. I was running 16"X10" wide rims on the Excal, rear, front was 16"X9.5". That to big for an FFR?
OH, 255X50's rear,,,,,245X50's front. The 255X50's rubbed a little when mounted up front.

Ernie
Old 01-16-2003, 06:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

I'm running 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 on the rear of my FFR without any clearance issues......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-16-2003, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

If this thread is turning into who wears the biggest rubbers, you guys are giving way too much info.

Rob,
As you saw on my car, I have the same tire set up as Bill. 245/45/17 front, 275/40/17 rear on my FFR with no problem. With the 3 link I have, installed by our friend Tony and myself, my handling is about as good as it will get for a live axle. My car actually understeers slightly, but that is only at the very limits, and it is easy to bring the tail around, so I think the FFR handles very well. I don't know much about the A&C handling, but I think Roscoe might know about that. He has open tracked his.

Steve
Old 01-16-2003, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2229K, Vortech-blown 306 (446rwhp, 442 rwtq)
Not Ranked     

I have 295/50R-15's on the back of my FFR with no problems. Several guys have made minor frame mods and fit 315/35-17's!!