MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Have you been to a two-day or more high performance driving school?
YES 46 53.49%
NO 40 46.51%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 05:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     
Exclamation POLL: How many Cobra drivers have been to an HP driving school?

Here's a question I feel is most important to our hobby: how many Cobra drivers have been to a two-day or more driving school?

I have. I wouldn't trust anyone who hasn't to drive my car!

How about you?

Tom aka INDY
Old 01-14-2003, 05:17 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

When I was just a young pup (not even married yet), I spent two days at a Bondurant course..........20+ years later, I have forgotten quite a bit of what I had learned......Guess I need a refresher course ...Wonder if the wife will buy that one......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-14-2003, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

Great post. I have entrusted very few people with my car. Only one that has driven it without me in the car, and that was at a track event, is a very experienced Cobra racer.

Been to two, 3 day Panoz racing schools as well as numerous driving schools at open track events. Seat time is the only way you will become competent at driving these cars safely. Driving them fast is another issue. The fatality stats of these cars based on number of incidents is scary. Interesting study in the making?

If you wanna go fast, go to the track.

Hank
FFR 1776-II
Old 01-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tom,

Good post and maybe this will get a few more people to go to drivers schools. I haven't been to one in many years but if my health holds out and everything works according to plan I intend to go to at least the two at Thunderhill this coming Summer. I need a refresher course and I am trying to talk a friend that has never been to one into going with me for at the first one. I wish I could go to the Boundrant school but my health prevents me from being to far away for more than a day.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-14-2003, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Driving schools

I have taken two driving schools. Going in I though I really didn't need to spend the money for someone tp show and tell me something I already knew. After all I have been watching NASCAR races for years and I had learned all kinds of driving skills from the driver cam. Reality is I didn't know Jack about driving before my driving shcools. I know a little more now.

I strongly recommend driving schools and track time. It is amazing how much you can learn from an autocross or open track event. Money well spent

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

An absolute must! 3+ years of open track/driving school and an understanding of the idiosyncrasies of my car and my driving are just starting to gel. As someone above stated there is no substitute for high speed, seat time! As good drivers will tell you "slow is fast". The best way to learn to function smoothly, give slow, deliberate input to a Cobra at speed, is in the controlled environment on the track.

Cheers, Pete C
Old 01-14-2003, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

As a future owner I am curious as to what these classes set you back on average$$$???
Old 01-14-2003, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Ok folks...I think we are forgetting one other school... the school of common sense. We have a 90 inch wheelbase 400 hp go cart. Do the math. Don't get me wrong, I love to go fast too but I think you have to know your limitations and don't go outside those limitations.
Just my 2 cents...RR
Old 01-14-2003, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Attended the 3 day plus track day at Panoz Driving school in Atlanta. Was lots of fun. Learned more about braking than I thought possible. Had my BB SPF for 18 months before attending and can't say it did anything to help street driving or saftey. But sure helped when at track days.
Richard Price
Memphis, TN
Old 01-14-2003, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been to the Proformance school at Pacific Raceways twice, once in their car, once in mine. I've also done more PCA events, in four different cars, than I can remember.

Rich
Old 01-14-2003, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I haven't been to a drivers training school as of yet... Really hadn't planned on it because I never planned on driving competitively(sp?), but now, after reading all the horror stories about the car, I'm considering it...
I've had performance cars in past years but I never ever took them to the max... I quit motorcycles, not because of my abilities, but rather it appeared as if I had a "hit me" sign on the darn thing. A few close calls and I got the message that they were out to get me...
I don't trust anyone to drive my car.... I use the insurance angle saying I'm the only one insured to drive it... Works like a charm...

I bought the Cobra because I think they are things of great beauty and potential. I plan on learning to manage the potential a little bit at a time..
Bottom line is: I will be taking a performance driving course in the near future...
Old 01-14-2003, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been to seveal auto-x schools. The instructor was a TEN time national champion. I was amazed at how little I new about driving! This I'll be taking the Cobra.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Hell yes! Everyone who owns one of these things should take one. No matter if it's a higher speed school, or autox, you will learn valuable information on how to handle the car on the street. I autox mine every chance I get. After initial hesitation (due to fear of wrecking car), I went to PDA schools at Pocono last year. Between these events, I have learned how to handle the Cobra, and what the Cobra will do. I feel much more confident to handle any emergency thrown at me on the street. Besides, the driving schools let you push your cars hard, and that's what these Cobras were meant for.

Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whenever I feel a little rusty I go down to the local video game parlor for some practice. Once I'm able to kick a 12 year old's butt on the screen I feel I have got my edge back
Really, I did Bondurant's course back in the early '80 then did some SCCA club racing for a couple of years. I then took Keith Code's motorcycle racing course and raced motorcycles for 4 years
in the AFM. I have always looked on Cobras as 4-wheeled motorcycles. Once my Cobra is finished and ready for some open tracking I will be taking a "refresher" course to get back up to speed. It's to bad that it is illegal (at least in CA.) to drive our Cobras on the street with helmets on
--Mike
Old 01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Tongue Pirate...(good handle)

I took a driving school at Hallett Raceway here in Tulsa. I used their Formula Ford cars the first time and the cost was $300.00 for an all day session. Started with a 3 hour class and then we went out on the track. Here, you can buy multi day sessions at reduced rates. In an unrelated school I took the Richard Petty driving experience in Orlando that cost $350.00 (1 hour class and about 15 laps on the track at speed following a pro driver).

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Several, including some brand specific provided by clubs (Vettes, Audi--really needed since all-wheel drive can be a weird beast). I conduct autocross classes, and went through the SCCA's Safety Steward course to get the Safety Steward license.

That last one was surprizingly good--not so much for actual driving, but for learning about slide angles for out of control cars (a good thing to know when you're placing flagpersons and corner workers on a course). A real eye-opener--cars can do the weirdest things!

Obviously, time spent in open track and even autocrossing simply adds to one's experience.

In my profession, we are obligated to spend a significant amount of time in continuing education--that's how I approach driving the Cobra and driving in general.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default In the same vein on Male mentality

How many guys have pulled over and asked for directions to a destination?
How many guys have built or attempted to build something without first reading the instructions or assembly manual?
How many guys have taken ski lessons before going skiing?
How many guys have taken tennis before golf lessons or doing those sports in earnest?

You guys get the drift, don't you

LOL

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 01-14-2003 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-14-2003, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been going to driving schools/open track for 12 years. Been an instructor for three years. Still fearfull of driving on the highway, way too many cars coming at me.

Cranky
Old 01-14-2003, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I had a great time at the Jim Russell School at the Silverstone circuit. However, I believe that the principles learned in a Formula car can only be transferred to another car through track time. Solo2 events are really good for sorting out the handling deficiencies of any car and learning to handle them. When I finished building my car, it was a nightmare to drive. I was smart enough to be "very afraid". As I have sorted out the problems one by one I have gotten more confident in the car and myself. Thanks to my Guardian Angel for helping my through.

I will go out on a limb here. "I believe that speed limits are one of the most dangerous things that we deal with in American society." Drivers that are proceeding at the bureaucratically imposed maximum speed for any length of time will become bored. They will find things to occupy their minds other than driving. They will be using the cell phone or eating a hamburger and thinking about anything but driving. I would bet that more than 90 percent of all vehicular accidents in the U.S. are caused by inattention. Look at the stats in Montana where the accident rate has jumped since the speed limits have been enforced. Any one of you who has driven in Italy or Germany can attest to the higher level of attention necessary when the driver decides what the speed limit is. Speed doesn't kill people, inattention does!

If the truth ever comes out about our lost comrade, I believe that he was driving the speed limit and that his attention was on the conversation instead of the driving. I feel terrible that they are gone, but all the talk about "being more careful" and "saving it for the track" is largely counterproductive. I have to constantly watch out for exactly this while running rallies. When we are proceeding at low speeds, it is tempting to look over at the map or talk about the traps. It IS important to stay on course and on time and work with my navigator. But, job one is "DRIVE THE CAR".

Paul
Old 01-14-2003, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good points Paul,
Someone once said when a Meteor crashes into your car that's an accident. Anything else is somebodys fault. How true.

Cranky