Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Racing

Is anyone currently racing a Cobra replica in SCCA events, or has raced them? Just curious on what classes you competed in and/or if SCCA even recognizes them.

Thanks,

- Dan
Old 01-14-2003, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan,
I think they are in the GT 1 Class and are not competitive in that class.
Great nostalgia racers but outclassed by todays iron.
Still lots of fun. ON THE TRACK.

Cranky
Old 01-14-2003, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Last year I ran the Arntz in a local Cal Club Solo 2 event in BSP (B Street Prepared). I was running with Datsun 240Zs and Corvettes. I was interested in sorting my suspension with new tires and knew that I could not compete without a lot of work (both on my car and my fitness level). It was fun and I feel that I could compete if I devoted myself to the sport. My experience is that if you are not too fast, you can pretty much run any class that you apply for. When you start getting close to trophy levels, the competitors look at you more seriously and protest any questionable element of your car. At that point, you have to make sure your ducks are in a row.

Paul
Old 01-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys!

Paul, is Solo 2 is an autocross event? I haven't seen any local runs here around Cleveland. Thought the SCCA set up tracks at mall parking lots or airports for the runs - pretty cool, although I would suspect a Cobra would want to swap ends a bit.

- Dan
Old 01-14-2003, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

scca will classify a cobra in GT1 or possibly SP depending upon your scca regions tech inspector and rules. they will require you to have all modern safety equipment including a full cage, firesystem, kill switch, fuel cell, etc.

cranky is right to suggest that you will have a very difficult time competing in either class. GT1 is home to the modern TransAm racers and SP is home to the road-race setup winston cup cars and any other hard to classify purpose built racecars.

I wouldnt say that you cant win, but you certainly would have your work cut out for you.

Depending upon your skill level and your desire, you could be competitive and win but you will be driving the hell out of the car and at the edge at all times. Mostly hoping the other cars breakdown, have lesser skilled drivers, poor setup, or make driving mistakes.

I would however suggest you open track your Cobra with some of the better clubs and drivers education groups.

SCCA is a very tough group to race with if you arent interested in trading paint. If you really want to race regularly I would suggest you buy a purpose built racecar and race that. Choose a sanctioning body that has a large number of track days in your area and meets YOUR ideas of what racing you want to get involved in. Ie historics, porsche club, bmw club, scca, etc.

Otherwise I would stick with the open trackers/drivers ed. You get much more track time with these groups anyway.

-dan
Old 01-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SCCA Solo 1 is wheel to wheel racing (open track) and requires a competition license. I ran the Excal against some pretty exoctic machines on open track, got my ass handed to me regularly! Most of those cars were "full race", I DROVE mine to the track!

Solo II is the auto cross events. Set up the cones in a parking lot or where ever.

My Cobra was classed BSP, mostly because I would have been the ONLY GT class car. I to ran against 240Z's (a LOT) and they are HARD to beat when their setup to max out the rules in that class AND the driver is good! Our local 240Z driver (BSP) competes on the national level, and I NEVER beat him! But I commonly out performed late model Vettes, Camaros, Stangs, M3's or what ever showed up. I didn't care about "class", I just wanted to drive as hard as I could, (up to and over the edge)!

Ernie
Old 01-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like Solo II is more my speed... one car, against the cones and the stopwatch.

Was just curious, with the large number of replicas, (Cobras, Lotus's, Jag's, Healy's, etc.) being built, I was wondering whether the SCCA might have responded with a new class.

Thanks again!

- Dan
Old 01-15-2003, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Dan,
While steering around pink cones could be fun, try hammering the car around a road race track in an open track event. No wheel to wheel, strict rules for passing but you get to all out throttle that thing.
Roscoe
Old 01-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Dan,
I have to agree that I think the Cobra would probably be outclassed in true wheel to wheel racing.

Everyones' suggestions have been right on in my opinion. I think you should try the Solo II/autox events first. Yes, as Roscoe said, it is just going through cones (Roscoe, the cones are orange, not pink. The loaner helmets are pink. That's how we identify a newbie ), one car at a time. But it is much more fun than it sounds. It's a rush. The cones are a sea of orange, and it will teach you very quickly how to read a course and find the corner apex, etc....You will sharpen your focus in a hurry. You will learn to control the Cobra at its' edge and know exactly how it will react to what you are doing. It will swap ends, but not as easily as you may think. Like most cars, it doesn't like lifting in the middle of a corner, or applying brakes mid-corner. That will make it swap ends. But you will quickly learn these things. Autox is a fantastic learning tool, and it is cheap.

Once you do some autox events, definitely go to one of the open track schools. There you will get to take the car out on the course with many other cars. Passing is allowed, but only with a "point-by", so you know the person you are passing is aware you are there and will give you room. It is safe, fast and addictive. I was dragged by Club Cranky kicking and screaming to my first event, because I was nervous, but I had a great time. I definitely used many of the skills I learned in autox at the open track, it was just at a MUCH faster pace. I feel more comfortable with the people on the track than I do driving it on the street. At least I know the people on the track are generally skilled drivers, as opposed to the clowns on the street.

Go for it. These cars were meant to run hard!

Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know about the pink helmet, (I already take enough guff about no stripe), sounds like a good time. Will have to get a membership to SCCA to find out where/when they are doing the Solo II stuff in my area.

A bunch of us had talked about renting the Nelson Ledges course this summer. The upfront cost is pretty cheap, though I'm a little worried about the insurance end. Seems to me the question came up in the DVSFIII thread about wether the insurance would cover us in an open track event... will have to talk to my agent about the Solo II runs.

Read an article in Car & Driver about the autocross stuff. If I remember right, (not likely), it was more about tires and shocks than horsepower and weight. The runs were something like 10-20 seconds long? Will see if I can find the story.

- Dan
Old 01-15-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Auto-cross is an excellent, cheap, fun and safe way to learn the dynamics of controlling your car. some of the best clubracers i know started in autocross since kart racing isnt as easily accessible in certain areas.

about being outclassed.... i race all the time with much more powerful and aerodynamic cars. I am even put into the same class as them. When you race you just have to accept that there will be guys every weekend with more money than you to buy better, faster cars. (occasionally they might even have more talent than you!)

Those odds just make it that much more fun when you beat them!

-dan

every been passed by a Porsche 962 doing 60-100 mph faster than you?

you just have to laugh (after you catch your breath that is)
Old 01-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Dan,
The pink helmets are just something the Philly region uses, I don't know if others do. We have fun with people wearing them.

You do not need to be a member of the SCCA to run in Solo II events, it will just cost an extra $5.

Insurance will likely not cover you at a Solo II event, but there is very little to fear. For the most part, the worst that happens is that you spin out and hit those little orange cones. They don't hurt anything.

Autox/Solo II has a lot to do with tires and suspension. Any race compound tire will blow away the best street tire. But most people, including me, recommend to run your first year on street tires. This will help teach you car control and how to drive the car well, so that when you switch to race tires, you'll be able to fly. Horsepower may or may not be important, depending on the course layout. I tight course may hurt a high hp car, as it is hard to get the power to the ground well. A more wide open course favors cars like us. Weight has a lot to do with autox. The heavier car will have a hard time going right/left/right quickly. So we have a big advantage here.

The lenght of the course depends on the set up and the size of the place you are running. In my region, the shortest course will be about 30 seconds, the longest will be closer to 50 seconds.

Do some autox, as I think it's one of the best ways to learn how to handle and push your car. But you've also got to try the open track events. They are on an entirely different level.

Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Kputz
Not Ranked     

>SCCA is a very tough group to race with if you arent interested in trading paint.

There is another kind of racing??????

>Was just curious, with the large number of replicas, (Cobras, Lotus's, Jag's, Healy's, etc.) being built, I was wondering whether the SCCA might have responded with a new class.

The west coast regions have done just that, and are beginning to classify Cobras in Solo II as OSP (Other Streep Prepared) just to make them competitive. Better they run together than get consistently waxed by other cars. They are neither competitive on solo courses nor road courses unless they run together.
If you're interested in cheap (real) racing check out www.specmiata.com where you can build your own for about $8K. or buy fully sorted for $10 - $12K. Mine is nearly finished and I'll come in under that figure. Or, if you want to go as fast as the Cobra I have a nice American Sedan classed Cobra Mustang you can steal for $25k, fully sorted with spares. Email me.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SCCA II

Klayfish,,,yup I can tell "you been there", ha ha. The course setup is different everytime. Mostly it DOES favor tires and suspension and GOOD driving technique. Once in awhile I can really take advantage of the horse power, sometimes it's not even a factor! Course times here vary from 50 sec's to 2 minutes! Some guys like the LONG layout (ME), some don't. Longer track generally favors more horse power.

A Cobra can indeed be competitive and post some impressive times against the "cones". Seems by the time guys move up to SCCA open track events their WAY more serious and the cars reflect that. Hard to compete against a guy who is WILLING to trade paint when I am NOT!

Ernie