9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Can't Decide

The better half and I went to a local Cobra club meet the other day and we left with an observation. Now this may sound stupid but we decided, all Cobras look the same. There were all kinds of different manufacturers there and small details aside they were all the same. At a Cobra car show these cars are basically judged on paint and some minor trim here and there. So I thought I had a brainstorm, get a FIA !!! I like the fat bulbous ( sp? ) look of the 427 but a FIA would be different. I know this is long but I would like to hear from the FIA owners. Thought and feelings. Why did you pick a FIA over the 427 ? How is the performance ? Handling ? Some pics would be nice too. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

fordracer - I wanted the FIA style for several reasons. One reason was that there are fewer of them around (replicas, that is) and one does stand out at a show for that reason. I also want a small block engine and I think that it's more appropriate in an FIA body. As far as handling and performance, that's decided by the engine you choose and your suspension and drive train.You can have anything from a 200 horsepower 289 up to a 500 plus cubic inch, 500 horsepower big block. Your suspension can be original style leaf spring front and rear, which is still being made by Shelby and Kirkham, up to the latest coil-over springs and independent rear suspension. Wheel and tire choice can also make a big difference. The FIA style body is just there to hold the paint. Everything else is underneath, and that can be anything you want it to be.

I'm having an FIA style being built with a strong small block and five speed toploader. It will have coilover front suspension and independent rear suspension from a Lincoln Mark VIII. I want the look of the FIA body with a strong engine and a good riding and handling suspension. It will also have air conditioning, a good stereo, a convertible top, and under car exhaust, because that's the way I want it. That's what is so great about the replica business. You can have it your way.

I hope this helps.

Bumpster
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Fordracer,
Bumpster pretty much said it all...
Personally, I like the fact that there are fewer of them around (289 FIA replicas). I'm beginning to think it's about twenty to one favoring the 427 body style. I would have no problem whatsoever with a 427 but right now it's the 289 FIA for me..
Just a personal preferrence.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand Kirkham is offering a 289 body on a 427 chassis now. Not a bad idea.. get the IRS and Coilovers with a 289 skin.

Scott
Old 01-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

xlr8or - That would be a surprise. I never thought Kirkham would deviate from building exact replicas. I wonder if that's true and if so, why they would do that.

Bumpster
Old 01-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The last few FIA cars built did in fact have coil springs instead of transverse leaf on the front. Under the skin, basically the same ride as the early 427's. You can count on one thing, when the Kirkhams do it, it IS accurate!

Ernie
Old 01-30-2003, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkham 289 FIA

I also personally LOVE the FIA in comparison with the S/C.
I think that it too is a much purer form of the "cobra" expression. I like the leaner more grayhoundish looks of the 289 compared to the puffed up bulldogish 427. You can purchase a coilover 289 car from Kirkhams, also you can see one of the bodies on the front page as it is being raffled off. The bodies as stated are just like they should be! As for coilover versus leaf on the 289- well im torn between the two- I like them both for different reasons.
you can get a body with no scoop for the oil cooler or one like the FIA ect ect- just call Mary and talk to her or Dave or Thomas.

RIP- E0 #2253
lo que escribo - es solo mi opinion
si te gusta bien - si no, lo siento
Old 01-31-2003, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I picked the FIA because I like the lines and I wanted a small block. My Unique FIA is scheduled for delivery Feb 8th and I can't wait.
Randy
Old 01-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bumpster,
When did Hunter start making an FIA version?
Damn, they waited one year too long. I had HDR build mine and we tried to make a 427 look as much as possible like an FIA. I think Rick Ellis did a good job but would have preferred an FIA to start with. Did Hunter make the "cutback doors" ?

Tom S.

PS. on his website HDR Coupe, that is my car shown, Jag silver with Jag blue stripes. Tom.S
Old 01-31-2003, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Dr Cobra and Mini me

My West Coast is about as bulging and steroidal as it gets.. if I were to have a second cobra, it would be the elegant slabside, or the FIA... they would look great together in tha garage, and a lower HP car would be something my honey could drive. I like all of 'em. Any cobra can be modified for better handling and performance.. pick the look you like, then build it the way you want
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 01-31-2003, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     
Default Coil-over FIA

Fordracer

I looked at some FIA Replicas at Kirkhams in October, they offer both the traditional leaf spring and a "hybrid" 427 style frame/suspension car. David said the people who race like the coil-overs for ease of setup, and I would think changing ride height on the leaf spring cars would be pretty involved (re-arching the springs maybe). When I was there David showed me some aluminum wishbones, A-arms, uprights, etc. they were developing for ease of manufactoring and ease of ajustability. He indicated that lower manufactoring costs should translate to lower prices to us. So far I haven't seen anything on their website about either the cars or the suspension but I have seen the cars in person so I know they exist.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I like the FIA's because they were the ones that WON RACES they are the car that made "Cobra" synonymous with beating ferrari's and winning races Too bad something like 99% of replicas are 427sc body style. I do like the 427's don't get me wrong, but to me a cobra is a race car, so I like the ones that were winners, the ones that started it all, the original car called a cobra, the founders of the legend...
Old 01-31-2003, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I like the 289 FIA better because it looks more like a defiant upstart than it's dominant older brother which looks more like a dominant bully. I really like both about the same but the history & the fact that there are far fewer of them on the road gives the edge to the 289 car for me.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chics - Hunter will start building the FIA style with my car as soon as I give him the deposit, which will be tomorrow. Randy has decided that he can modify the front end of his regular design to turn it into the FIA style. If he says he can, then I believe him. He is too particular about what he builds to deliver a car that is not as perfect as he can make it. He is also building it with non-Corvette front suspension and irs from a Lincoln Mark VIII. I went to him and told him what I wanted (FIA style with all Ford suspension) and he said he can and will do it, so we're in business. It should be on the road by my birthday, October 2.

Bumpster

P.S. I'll try to get some current pictures of Randy's four-door Cobra tomorrow. He has the body mounted on the frame and I think it will look good when it's finished. Anybody who will build something like that has my vote of confidence.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Bumpster
Glad to see a new member of the Hunter family. I did not know that Randy was building a 289 FIA version but if anyone can do it he can. I did get to see the 4 door car a few weeks ago and it will be really cool to see on the road.

Randy has done a few cobras with the ford IRS suspension and they turned out great.

Hope to see your prototype soon

Ruble
Hunter #009
Old 01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

I prefer the FIA cars because they are the ones that made the Cobra a legendary car. They are the ones that were victorious in Europe and won the world championship. There are fewer of them around and their lean look appeals to me more. I also very much like the 427SC body style, but something about having a small block engine in a 427 body style bothers me. Call me crazy, I guess.

Ted Cummings
Old 02-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Ernie,

The last production FIA produced by Shelby was CSX 2345. It, like its brethren--CSX 2259, 2260, 2301, 2323--were all leaf spring cars. None had coil spring front ends.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Who built the coil spring 289 cars?

Ernie
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ted,

If you like the FIA cars then go with one. As far as something not being the way it was in the originals I think you could almost find every possible variation of every Cobra here.

A word of warning. When you do decide and get one built keep it away from Ernie if he is having a garage sale. When he says everything goes he means it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default No sale!

..and between the laughter,,,,,,,

Ernie