23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2003, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Newbie Questions on Buying a LoneStar Classic

Have been "lurking" on the boards for a while and actually picked up a few info items from the "tessa posts". I have wanted a Cobra for about 20 years (first car was '66 Mustang) and frankly never thought the "right" opportunity would come along.

Well it seems that one might have happened! Close friend has a Lone Star Classic built Cobra with a 428 engine, 9" Tre-Mac 3.73 rear end, etc. He might be one of the most meticulous owners/mechanics I know and has made some real key ($$) improvements for the 1 year he owned it (like putting a 170deg t-stat on for South TX driving, more authentic looking valve covers, rubber bushings on the brackets that attach the lake pipes, etc.).

In any case, he wants to sell and frankly I want to buy. Car has 7000 miles and is exactly what I want EXCEPT it is Silver w/Charcoal stripes and my heart has always been set on Blue/white combo. He is asking $35k and I think I can get him to $30k. The silver/grey has grown on me over the year and I now like it, plus I figure I at some point re-painting could be an option. Frankly, I am much more comfortable with the owner I am buying it from and doubt I could ever get this far along with someone else as buying the car. Thus think this takes priority over my "second choice" for color.

I am somewhat of a "newbie" but my passion is high for the car. Any thoughts or advice you can offer me?

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

35K sounds like a nice price, OK, 30 is even better! Silver with charcoal stripe is very popular these days. Of course everyone has their favorite color.

Isn't the Lone Star body a liitle longer and\or wider than the original? That is not a "bad" thing, just curious. Generally speaking the less accurate the body size\shape is to the original the less re-sale potential it has. Could be why 35K is about the right price?

Anybody?

Ernie
Old 02-21-2003, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

There are several LS427's in my area. All the LS owners here recommend getting the heavier 'competition frame' as opposed to their lighter frame. I like the shape of the body alot. Only dislikes to me are that the bumper jacks stick way too far out (likely fixable), and there is no body overhang over the dash (dash not recessed). The ones I've sat in had the steering wheel quite high also. (That may be because the competition frame is lowered compared to the regular frame, I think).

My opinion.

Last edited by CSX 4039; 02-21-2003 at 08:41 PM..
Old 02-21-2003, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any idea how to tell which frame? Need to ask the current owner, but given it is more of a driver than racer it probably is the lighter version.

Silly question: Are the "bumper jacks" the two bumper-ettes that stick out on the front on either side of the air intake?

Thanks for the feedback Brett and Excaliber. Maybe I'll see Brett in our fine state soon at an upcoming rally!?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

if you're tall you want the comp frame. In fact, my friends tell me you always want the comp frame. Send a private message to 'Waco Blue Cobra'. He is the LS427 savant. Jim Yates is his name. Nice guy
Old 02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Default LoneStar

The Lonestar is a nice car. It is 4 inches longer than the 'original', all in the door/passenger compartment. The 'lighter frame' is a rarety and only comes in a small block configuration. The LS427 frame, the 'competition' one, is a 2x4 box frame. The lighter frame is a 3x3 square frame. I would be surprised if the car had that, the light kit is substantially cheaper. Goto www.lonestarclassics.com and check them out. Steve and Brian and Dennis are great guys, Dennis is the Lonestar mechanical whiz and he loves to help out over the phone.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is it also wider? The Excal was 4 inches longer and about the same wider.

Ernie
Old 02-22-2003, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Scott, smart and lucky on your part to 'know' the owner and car, if I were considering buying a cobra today, I would definitely buy a completed/uncompleted and make any changes/improvements I thought were necessary.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! This is all good info. Given it is the 427 it must be the comp frame. I am 6ft and fit in the cockpit nicely so makes it a nice fit. Might take a pic tomorrow and try to post.

I think I am gonna like it here!!
Old 02-22-2003, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Scott,

There are so many great cars in the used market at this time.
Great buys and great builds... Most of these owners put their heart and soul into these cars... Shop them all out and, if possible, don't limit yourself to one particular brand. You can customize the car to your specifications and needs and still have money left over in the used car market...