21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default what's your steering,lock to lock?

Hi all,

The bordom of winter has me looking for new ways to annoy my car and my bros. here at C.C. I really don,t think much of my turning radius . and while this dosnt really affect drivability I am puzzling a change from this Jag rack or maybe a modification depending on feed back.

sooooo.... what do you have , and what is it lock to lock?.............................. ah cmon go out there and look ....Ill hold your beer
Old 03-15-2003, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

E-M has Vette rack, 2-1/4 turns lock to lock, almost spooky-quick.

Woodward power rack w/3.92 ratio in the DLM

Scott
Old 03-16-2003, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 1204 With Stack Injection
Send a message via ICQ to DavidWard
Not Ranked     

93 Mustang GT rack, 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. It felt too quick at first, but after a few miles it feels fine.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Flaming River 18:1

I have the Flaming River 18:1 rack. If you plan to do anything but Sunday cruise with the car, stay away from it. It is a full 4 turns lock to lock. I think most school buses are only 4 turns.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

KK,
Depends on what you are after. In general, you’d like to be able to make most turns (high speed) on a track with a quarter turn of the wheel. There will be turns that require more but those are generally low speed, or the long sweepers. If you have to saw at the wheel to get the car to go where you want it to, the steering is not responsive enough. On the other hand, If the wheels turn too much with minor steering input, it is only a mater of time before you swap ends.

Cheers, Pete C
Old 03-16-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl;
Turning radius is not controlled by number of turns from lock to lock. It is controlled by how far the spindle can turn, and that is limted by tire clearance from the frame and or body.

Poorboy
Old 03-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete, Poor boy,

the jag set I have is 2-1/2 lock to lock, but the radius is very large.
there also appears to be a fair amount more room at lock for further wheel travel.. .. what i'm trying to figure out is whether my rack is limited by its original application ....(is 2-1/2 lock to lock stock e type Jag ?) or has my detup been altered to fit my car and thus limited to this radius?.....and could it be modified...... or is there a quicker tighter set i could use.....I have to go hard over and sweep just to enter a driveway .......it just dosnt seem right for a 90" WB....

A lot of you guys are using the Jag front ...what are your specs?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

My rack is 2 1/3 turns lock to lock. With all of the components from various OEM sources that are mixed and matched on these cars as they are built, many different suspension setups are arrived at. The distance from the an imaginary line through the upper & lower ball joints to the center of the steering tie rod end is the influencing factor in how much the wheel will move for a given input from the steering wheel along with a given rack ratio. Of course this assumes no interference from tires or other suspension/brake components. This dimension cannot be changed without changing suspension components (if different spindle is available) so we look for a rack a different ratio. Fewer turns lock to lock gives "quicker" steering but usually at the expense of more input effort, and can be a little sensative at speed. Check the driver's input on the steering of an F-1 or Cart car for an idea what "Quick" steering is.

......Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-16-2003 at 12:57 PM..
Old 03-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

KK,

Next time I take it out, I'll check and let you know turns L to L. Mine is an ERA with a Nissan rack. It is not easy to turn in tight spaces (big front tires, negative camber, bias plys) but is great at speed!

Cheers, Pete C
Old 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     
Default OEM Spindle Alternative

I use a set of these 7075 billet alum. spindles. Since they are modular I can replace components and vary the OA height, pin height, pin inclination, caliper mount, and steering arm length.

Scott
Attached Images