Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Paul, I have never driven the car in the rain, so I cannot answer that question.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does it rain in California? Actually here in Florida where it does rain, they don't do a darn thing!! Sure look good though....and after all looks is everything.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

When I bought my car and drove it home from Reno I had to keep my arm up on the door .If I droped my elbow and arm inside the wind buffeted my ear.I now have windwings. But as always I had to modify, The brackets that attach to windsheild frame are both the same and equal distant from front edge. The windsheild frame tapers going up .It causes the windwing to cross the edge of the frame when folded inward. I was in a small garage and bumped it.It breaks the wing. I made longer lower brackets from square stock brass, now the forward edge of wing is parralel with the rear edge of the windsheild frame.I haven't broken any since.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-29-2003 at 06:53 PM..
Old 06-12-2015, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default windy wings

Not sure if they work either, but they are already on the cobra, dosen't help I look like I could eat a banana sideways when driving.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Wow, this thread is 13 years old! It is relevant though. I have experimented with different wind wings over the years. I bought a 4 by 8 foot panel of 3M Lexan MR10 to make a windshield. I made 4 windshields and sold 3 on eBay. I also made lots of wind wings. I made an extra large pair for the Stardust Rally in November of 1013. We ran from Palmdale to Las Vegas by way of many twisty mountain roads. It was a 12 hour trip and the weather was down to 18 degrees up at Wrightwood. I made a rear wind deflector that comes up to the tops of our heads and really helps keep the cold blast off the neck and shoulders. I also made extra large wind wings that fit close to the top of the doors and tight to the windshield. These made a huge difference for our comfort in the cold weather. As a backup, I had electrically heated motorcycle jackets in the trunk, but we never needed them. I have installed two powerful heaters in both foot boxes and they provide a pretty good blast of hot air in your face. I also stuck a foam block to the rear panel so the Co-driver can take a nap. So, we survived the 12 topless hours in relative comfort. I will try to post a picture.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 06-12-2015 at 10:13 PM..
Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

These cars are another way we express ourselves to the world around us. However we decide to outfit them if from choice and that need for a specific look or in this case functionality. My wings are staying because of the look as does the top most of the time of course the top is very much functional.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
Wow, this thread is 13 years old! It is relevant though. I have experimented with different wind wings over the years. I bought a 4 by 8 foot panel of 3M Lexan MR10 to make a windshield. I made 4 windshields and sold 3 on eBay. I also made lots of wind wings. I made an extra large pair for the Stardust Rally in November of 1013. We ran from Palmdale to Las Vegas by way of many twisty mountain roads. It was a 12 hour trip and the weather was down to 18 degrees up at Wrightwood. I made a rear wind deflector that comes up to the tops of our heads and really helps keep the cold blast off the neck and shoulders. I also made extra large wind wings that fit close to the top of the doors and tight to the windshield. These made a huge difference for our comfort in the cold weather. As a backup, I had electrically heated motorcycle jackets in the trunk, but we never needed them. I have installed two powerful heaters in both foot boxes and they provide a pretty good blast of hot air in your face. I also stuck a foam block to the rear panel so the Co-driver can take a nap. So, we survived the 12 topless hours in relative comfort. I will try to post a picture.

RS

Just out of curiosity...what is your idea of cold? Mine would be trying to drive in high 30 low 40 degree temperatures without a heater which I have done quite a few times.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
When I bought my car and drove it home from Reno I had to keep my arm up on the door .If I droped my elbow and arm inside the wind buffeted my ear.
I have wind wings and visors, and notice quite a difference when they're set at the correct angle. Further, as noted above, there is also quite a difference between having my elbow and arm inside the car vs. resting on top of the door - the latter makes it much calmer inside the car at highway speed (e.g. 110 km/hr or 70 MPH).
Old 06-14-2015, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joyridin'

I can deal with cold for an hour or two. But the Starlight Rally was run the second weekend in December from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas and it was over 12 hours long. Some years it was 14! After a few hours at speed, the very best ski clothes and gloves are no longer effective for the wind curling over the windshield and hitting you in the back. The wind stream blowing in under the standard wind wings hits your left hand and your face and gets very uncomfortable. It averages about 30 degrees across the desert, but gets much colder as you go over the mountain passes. The heater is very nice at low speeds, but above 50 mph, (with stock wind wings) you can barely feel it any more. To me, at the time, it was a test of endurance and I was determined to beat the cold and the 150 other teams in comfortable cars. After 6 years of trying and suffering tremendously, we drove my Nissan Altima in 1998 and won.

In the year 2000, for the last Starlight Rally, I bought a hardtop from Ron Butler and ran the Cobra with the Equinox Rally Team (I will post a picture from that event). It was a good thing that we had the top, because it rained for most of the rally. We made a couple of mistakes and finished in 7th or 8th place. However, the Cobra team has won many rallies since then, including the 2013 Stardust event. I have learned that it is just too hard to concentrate on the timing and navigation when you are uncomfortable.

We are working towards our next big event on September 26 called the "Midnight Run". It will be 9 hours of magnificent roads and I heard a rumor that we may see a Sequoia tree or two. You can read all about it here: ITNrally.org. Of course, we plan to run topless if at all possible. If you want to have the most fun possible with your Cobra, you should join us.

RS

joyridin' likes this.

Last edited by RallySnake; 06-14-2015 at 03:47 AM..
Old 06-14-2015, 05:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I put over 42,000 miles on my Cobra and would not have a Cobra without wind wings and sun visors. The visors help push the air up just a little to keep in off your face.
You can mount the sun visors in two different positions, one puts the visor a little higher on the windshield.

The wind wings keep the wind out of your right ear. And helps when it rains.

Would not leave home without them.

Dwight
Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

For those with glass wind wings, I have heard of two owners whose glass wind wing was hit by a stone and shattered, sending broken shards of glass all down the side of the car, chipping the paint.

Suggest you take them to a window tinter and have them apply a clear tint to both sides of the wind wing. That will contain the glass in the event of damage.

HTH.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I cannot image making them out of glass, very dangerous! Most of the stock one's are Plexiglass. That can shatter too and scratches easily. My original Plexiglass one broke when a can of paint fell on it during the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I am so glad that's all that happened to the car.

Lexan is much better stuff, virtually unbreakable. However basic Lexan also scratches easily. The best stuff is 3M Lexan MR10 which is hardened to prevent scratching. That is the bulletproof stuff that lasts for years. The biggest problem is that after you cut it to size, it is so tough that it takes a long time for the power sander to round and smooth the edges.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

As more upright your windshield is, as more buffeting you will experience...

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 06-26-2015, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi View Post
Hi Guys,

The wind wings and visors do help.......if you want comfort, dependability etc.....

Buy a Camry

Tony R.
Camry....

Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA with a 428 FE that runs on pump gas, but has plenty of power.
Not Ranked     

Hi; I did exactly what you did, re; making the lower brackets longer.
The gap between the wind wing and the frame is now parallel at the hinged side, and it will not break if it is moved inwards.
I made all four blocks out of stainless steel. Now; I didn't have to chrome plate them.
The polished stainless steel matches the mating sheet metal brackets.
I believe that it is possible that making the upper and lower blocks at the same length was a mistake right from the start!

Don
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

I don't have any on mine nor I have sun visors either, when I bought my car they were not there so I have no need for the, anyways. Even if I had the wind wings I would not be able to open them because of the rear side view mirrors are too close to allow them to work.
The sun visors would be useless too, I am 6'1"

Old 07-03-2015, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

if you have never rode in a Cobra with wind wings and visors how do you know you don't need them?

Old 07-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Hurricane with an Ape top

note the mirror mount

Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Lawrence is over 6'1" by several inches

Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

Your best defense against the wind storm is going to be a screen behind you. Block the eddy currents drafting up behind you and you will have a better driving experience at moderate highway speeds.