16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2003, 01:15 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Where Is The Money?

I JUST READ TURK'S FUND RAISING TALLY - YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME - ONLY 34 PEOPLE HAVE CONTRIBUTED SO FAR.
COME GUYS, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTHS ARE. THIS IS A GREAT FORUM AND ALOT OF YOU HAVE BENEFITED FROM IT, AS I HAVE. PLEASE MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION NOW TO THIS WORTHWHILE CAUSE. AFTER ALL, IT'S YOUR FORUM TOO.

TURK, SORRY FOR MOUTHING OFF, I JUST COULDN'T HELP MYSELF.

TERRY LEE
Old 04-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those who want to give will give,those who don't wont....I think that is a personal choice.....

But I will say this,I have given every time soo far and will continue...... I receive about six or seven magazines every month,all related to auto's,mostly Mustangs and NASCAR,but also Kit Car, (have a bunch of nieces that sell mag. subscriptions for school projects), and I have gotten more technical info and more enjoyment from this forum yearly than I get from all the magazines combined....Further when I get a new mag every month it usually takes me three to five days to completely read it cover to cover and then it's finished,this forum is like getting a new magazine daily...

The technical info is unlimited,where can you get FREE unlimited info from approx. 6,700 people world wide on a moments notice???????? That alone has gotta be worth something.....

BTW; Brent, thanks for a great forum,you never can get enough credit for what you have done here,thanks again......

David
Old 04-07-2003, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good question Terry, where is the money? Or rather, where has the money gone? How much has been raised over the years and how much does it cost to operate this site? A good friend of mine posed this question on another forum and I have to wonder the same thing.

Don't mean to sound like sour grapes, as I have certainly enjoyed this forum but I won't be giving any more money.

Ever since I sold my Cobra over three years ago, I've posted less and less here so on the one hand it makes sense that I don't contribute anymore. However, for several years, I have offered my video (Bitten by the Snake) for sale at a discount to CC members on this site. In return, I've always dontated some $$ to help with the cost of running the site. Ever since the switch to this new format, Brent apparently has dropped the "discounts" section as I can't find it anywhere. So it doesn't make sense for me to support this forum anyway.

But that is all beside the point. My question is "how much is enough?" How much money does it cost to run this site and how much should people who use it expect to pay? If it costs $2000 a year to run and $8000 is collected, what should be done with the excess funds? Donated to charity perhaps??

I really don't care if people want to contribute or not. That's their business, not mine. I'm just curious about where the money goes.

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Technical information aside---and I would agree that the tips on this forum have saved me tons of $$$s---let's not forget some of the great personal relationships that have been forged as a result of CC. Those friendships alone far exceed the small sum we contribute to Brent each year.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim;

I think this was discussed last year at the time of the same annoucement.... I do not have a Cobra,never had one,but will someday,a large part of the info here carries over to my Mustang though....

Personally,I could care less if it cost $200.00 per year to run the site and $2,000.00 is collected....Those that give,give freely and I expect NO acounting for the money. Whatever is left over if anything as far as I'm concerned is for Brent to do with whatever he likes,be it spent on his Cobra-wife-or at a dice table in Vegas......I don't care,I feel I have recieved a lot more for my money from this forum than I donated......

Respectfully;

David
Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Jim-

You should know that this is a site that Brent Mills owns and operates - and doing it takes time and dollars.

I have no idea if the advertising revenue that is raised covers all the expenses and nor do I care - it isn't my business anyway.

The donations are just that - donations that you are free to make - or not.

If the information provided above is news to you, then consider yourself educated!

If you already knew this stuff - then I have a question.

Why is it your business? - These are voluntary donations made by people who appreciate the forum and are made knowing that Brent can do whatever he wants with the proceeds.

By the way, has anyone asked you what happened to the proceeds from the sale of your excellent video? Is it their business?

As far as I am concerned, I hope that all his expenses can be covered by the advertising and any extra money he gets from this fund raising will be used for his engine bill at Gessfords!

Pat Buckley
Old 04-07-2003, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Whoa!!!! It was just a simple request for a contribution.
If you want to give that's great and if you choose not to then that's alright also... As far as I know no one is keeping score. It's just a "thank you " to Brent for keeping the website up and running..

Last edited by casaleenie; 04-07-2003 at 02:45 PM..
Old 04-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's just a "thank you " to Brett for keeping the website up and running..
I'll gladly contribute to Brent, but screw that Brett guy. What has he done for me lately?

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist )

Check is on the way . . .

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 04-07-2003, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat and David,
Three years ago, I think I said the same thing as you....I didn't care what Brent did with the money as I thought that CC was worth whatever we cared to donate and that Brent truly needed the money to keep it running.

Today however, I have changed my views. I'm simply asking how much it cost to run this site. It seems to me that a simply accounting would let people know how much money was needed to keep it going and how much has been collected.

If folks want to donate to help Brent build a new motor that's fine. I have no problem with that. But as for all this being "my business" I just think people should have some idea that their money is truly needed to help keep this site up and running.

As for how much profit I make on my video?
Not nearly enough. Donations are appreciated.

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-07-2003, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     
Default What???

I guess the difference is,if you don't donate to this site , you can still use it. If I don't pay for the video, I can't.

Seems like a pointed question to me. Out of 6000 people (who at one time or another signed up in here), maybe 150 or so will donate towards the operation of the forum. Other 5848 will not donate a dime. That is OK.

What is not OK is for the remaining 2 to ask questions that obviously have other reasons behind them.

I have no fricking idea what happened to the discount section, not do I care. If We collect $10,000 and Brent uses $4.00 of it for electricity and the remaining $9996.00 goes to Brent so he can get his car up and running I bet that is just fine with the rest of us, at least those of us who have made a contribution.

No it will not go to a charity. I am NOT doing this for a charity. I do enough of that already. Not this time.

Did we not answer these questions last year. Expected some questions from new users but certainly not from a few who had their questions answered last year.

If it appears this is a pretty lucrative business, start one yourelf. Curt Scott did!

You have to pay to advertise there to sell cars and parts. Here Brent does not even care if one of us advertise our cars or decide to clean up our garages, and we happened to be one who did not contribute.

How much does it cost to run this place? I have no idea and don't care. I bet almost none of the folks who already have donated to Brent don't either.

I did say "almost".

TURK

If you want to see the most up to date tally, click on....
Fund Drive Tally
Old 04-07-2003, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

I'll gladly contribute to Brent, but screw that Brett guy. What has he done for me lately?

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist )

Check is on the way . . .

Chaplin,
I stand chastised!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 04-07-2003, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to get your titties all twisted there Turk. I was simply asking a question. If these questions were answered last year, then I either didn't see them or don't remember. Old age you know.

Like I said, I don't care if others donate or not, but I do think it's reasonable to post a $ figure of how much money is needed to run this site. Obviously you dissagree. Fine. I made my point.

Oh, you can see my video for free. Just ask Brent to send you his copy.

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Time is money! Brent has spent alot of his own time getting this site to the point where it is at. The members here have saved me alot of money with great advise & entertainment. I don't care what he does with it. I've even been "Smartfiltered" at work from this site. It's just my way of saying thanks!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(I have offered my video (Bitten by the Snake) for sale at a discount to CC members on this site. In return, I've always dontated some $$ to help with the cost of running the site. Ever since the switch to this new format, Brent apparently has dropped the "discounts" section as I can't find it anywhere.)

Try looking at the banner at the top of the home page. Look for the button marked Member Discounts.

Last edited by super38; 04-07-2003 at 04:01 PM..
Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

First One in the Member Discount Menu...
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2003, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JC,

I'm a little confused here... Did you pay Brent money to advertise your "Bitten by the Snake" video on the site and he stiffed you? Was the video advertised for free on the site and you sent in a donation to show your appreciation? Help me out here...
Super38 pointed out that it was in the Member Discount page where I've seen the ad everytime I looked. Sounds like a simple misunderstanding to me...

Confused in Cleveland.....
Old 04-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Just a couple of personal thoughts as it appears that things have gone down hill....

1. I did NOT ask for contributions in any way. I do however, appreciate the gestures.

2. Turk offered to spearhead this deal again this year due to numerous members requesting a way to offer some good will. Turk and others can assure you that their mails asking me if I wanted them to start something either went without reply from me, and/or me explaining that I don't have to have the money. I would run this place without a dime.

3. It does cost to run this place (don't know what other sites pay but....) last year I bought and built a server for more than $2500, software licenses, have paid as high as $175 per month due to shared server CPU usage costs and bandwidth and space. Spent $120 or so just a few weeks ago to give everyone the ability to have their own username@clubcobra.com account.

4. Yes I have started making some money with the advertising. In the first few years I had no interest in selling advertising unless someone just couldn't go without sending me some dough. This last year in numerous conversations with my wife, I told her I really want to get this place set up so people don't have to send me dough. That has started to happen, and it's paying for my monthly out of pocket expenses just fine.

5. It does take a lot of time to run this place. It's no accident that this place is as good as it is from a functionality/feature/content standpoint....It takes time and a lot of late nights after my real job. I'd do it regardless.

Certainly it hurts to see this stuff, as again, I didn't ask for any money, and I truly hope people don't have a problem with it. There's nothing more that I want from this place than the friendships I have gained and continue to gain along the way.

casaleenie, it was free advertising for Jim (Bitten by the Snake) and it's still up as I understand it.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I gave Brent $100.. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I told him if he uses it on this site it will make me sick.. I am helping him put a Side Oiler on the road plain and simple.

Anyone that needs to question how much work it is to put together something like this doesn't belong here. While you were gleening the wisdom expoused within the club and building (and selling) your dream car Brent was busy answering e-mails regarding why your pictures won't magically pop up on the page or why you can't reply to a given thread.

If it's easier, faster or cheaper now because Brent has found capable help or because a few people find value advertising here that's great.. I hope he gets rich off this site. I for one have saved a small fortune for having been able to be here. I can't imagine a place where you can get an opinion or an answer to a problem 7 days a week 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If I could, I can imagine paying hundreds or thousands of dollars an hour for the privledge..

Not just about cars.. My billable rate for what I do is just under $95. an hour. I have had several conversation with people regarding what I consider my area of expertise. I have seen the same thing happen on the subjects of biology, patents, law, not to mention the endless maze that is the beauracy that is the DMV, and of course building cars.

If being here isn't worth $5, $10, or $1000 so be it. No one is forced to give. If it isn't worth it, it isn't worth it. I have met people here that have saved me that much in a 5 min. post. I can't imagine building or even appreciating these cars as much as I do without the resources I get from this site.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-07-2003, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Casaleenie,
No, I never paid Brent to advertise my product. Yes, I have donated money every year to support CC, partly because of his willingness to support my product, albeit I discount the price by 15% to CC members. I also paid because I knew that especially in the early years, Brent was losing money on this forum. However, by his own words, he stated that he started this forum as a hobby, not as a business venture. Now that it has turned into more of a business, I have a hard time understanding why Turk asked for donations, especially since there was, apparently, quite a surplus of funds from previous years donations.

Evidently there has been some confusion, apparently on my part, concerning the "members discount" section. I use a mac computer and Internet explorer. On my computer at home and at the office, the "discount" pull down doesn't show up. Also, I have not have a single order for the video from CC in nearly a year, hence my belief that this section was dropped. I had e-mailed Brent on three different occasions that my e-mail address had changed and asked him to please change my contact information in the discount section. I never heard back from him so I assumed that he was no longer interested in offering the discount to members section. I assumed that since he was offering advertising for sale he no longer wanted to run the discount section. I have never sold enough copies of my video to warrent buying a banner ad. After losing several thousands of dollars advertising in Kit Car magazine, I was "gun shy" about buying an ad. BTW, I don't advertise on Cobracountry, I sell them my video at wholesale and they sell it at retail.

That being said, Brent has answered my original question. I thank you. I would also like to clairfy that while I have never met Brent in person, I have a great deal of respect for him and I wish him all the best. His forum has certainly helped me during the few years that I owned my car and I was glad to support this forum during that time.

I apologise for any confusion regarding the discount section. Maybe Brent will fix it so us Mac users will see it.

cheers
Jim
Closed Thread