17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-07-2003, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Default registration in PA

Does anyone have any tips for registering a Kirkham in Pennsylvania? PA has a "specially constructed vehicle" statute. Is that the way to go? What about inspections? I will probably be able to keep it under 5,000 miles a year (therefore exempt from emissions), but do I have to comply with the other inspection standards of a modern car?

Thanks,

Lew
Old 04-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Lew,
Yes, the car will have to go through PA state safety inspection, but it does not mean that you have to have airbags, abs, etc.... It's not a big deal. If the car is safe to drive on the street, and all of its' lights work, you'll have no problem. You know, the basics, functioning brakes, lights, horn, turn signals, suspension tight, tires proper tread. Nothing fancy. The only one thing I found that I didn't like is that the PA state inspection requires windshield wipers. The only way to avoid this is to have the car registered as an antique or collectors car, which I'm not sure we can do in PA.

Come on out June 7th to Valley Forge and check out all the PA inspected cars at the Cobra Revolution. Sorry, couldn't help the plug.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lew, go to your local Notary/Messenger service and ask for the booklet on " Special Construction" cars,MV-426. Only thing that looks to be a problem for Cobras is you must have shields over the sidepipes. First time some 3 or 4 year old child gets close to your pipes,gets burnt and his/her parents sue the heck out of you ,you'll see the need for the covers. Do it by the book, and you won't have to worry about anything.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone registered a cobra in the state of Pennsylvania lately what kind of problems thank you
Tom
Old 09-16-2020, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

As was stated, you'll have to get the inspection. Not any inspection station can do it, it has to be a PENNDOT approved inspection station. Any tag service should be able to point you in the right direction.
I took my paper work to our local Representative's office. I bought mine from Alabama and they have no paper titles. I had to threaten taking it in front of a judge to get it registered as a 1965 Ford Convertible. I put Classic tags on it.
You have a title, so passing the inspection would be my only concern, but not much of one. You won't be able to register it as a Classic or Antique though.
Good luck.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When i registered my Cobra in PA all i had to do was bring a photo of the serial number off the tag on my footbox, and the Maryland title which said it was a 1965 Ford Convertible. Got my Tag and off i went! I have never seen an inspection station with it as i would not let someone else touch it, hell they wouldn't know how to remove a wheel! I have been stopped by police for no inspection sticker and explained that i doubt an inspection station could figure out how to remove the wheels to inspect the brakes and that i do all my own repairs and inspections. I have never been given a ticket.