LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Used Cobra questions

Fellow members:
I am preparing to make a 1000+ mile trip to look at a used Unique 289FIA. Car is two years old and was built from a deluxe pallet kit. It's powered by a 351W w/Tremec 5-speed, and has roughly 2000 miles on it.

I have never owned or purchased a replica before, so I'm looking for your advice on any specific questions that I should ask of the seller. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 06-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Take a tape measure with you. Ask him if he ever measured the frame for "true" and what the results were. Most never have, so he probably hasn't either. BUT if he did and knows what your talking about it's an excellent tip off that the build is high quality.

The tape measure? Measure the outer wheel lips of all the fenders to the outside edge of the top of the tire. You may find that the rear left/right are a little different from each other. The front should be dead on. Around a 1/2 inch or so difference can often be found on even regular Detroit cars. Anymore that that and you got to start wondering if the "body" is aligned correctly or is the frame "funny". More often it indicates the body is not quite "perfectly" aligned with the frame when it was mounted. On the "cheaper" bodies, this can be a common problem. The body warps a little or shifts when you bolt/screw/glue it to the frame. Does the body mount on the frame with some kind of rubber isolaters? Or is the glass body placed directly on the frame? I prefer some kind of isloater myself, but it can work directly mounted.

You might want to e-mail him first and have HIM take the measurments before you get there. Lets assume wheel offsets are the same front and rear of course.

What about "ride height"? Bumper left/right front and rear, same height? OK,,,now what about the "frame", and/or body ride height? Same for both sides as measured in different places?

Again, bear in mind SOME difference could be considered "normal". It is hard to "see" a one inch difference unless your "looking for it". Then, it's "obvious".

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-07-2003 at 04:48 PM..
Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Given the Weaver's reputation, and their close relationship with their customers, you might want to call them and ask them if they know anything about the car in question. Usually, Unique owners keep in contact with the good folks in Gadsden. It is a nice fraternity of owners. Allen or Maurice will give you a straight answer, for sure if they know anything about the car.
There number is 256-546-2395
Old 06-07-2003, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Russ,

Great choice in a brand and model.... Cal is correct about Alan or Maurice knowing about their cars... I called on mine AFTER I bought it but the conversation went well.. He remembered the car and the particulars about the car and buyer... I'm loving their cars... I love the 427's but I love the 289's a little bit more.....
Good luck.....

al