23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2003, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA and SPF Owners - Will I Fit?

I am looking for an ERA or Superformance Cobra. (I was outbid in the last second on the Superformance Cobra on eBay a week ago.) I am 6'6'' and 210 lbs. and I am wondering how tight the driving position will be. I have owned several Griffiths and I could drive them without shoes. Not comfortable, but I got from point A to point B and back - as long as point A was not to far from point B. I would appreciate any input from other tall drivers out there. Also, if there are any ERA of Superformance Cobra owners within a few hours drive from Pensacola, Florida, I would appreciate a 'test sit' in your car. On that eBay Superformance Cobra - If I could not fit in it, it was worth the price just to look at it. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Richard
Old 05-28-2003, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Richard
I'm 6' and in your weight class and am very comfortable in my SPF. I know that doesn't help much. I have a friend who's your size who felt cramped in mine but after he left I realized the seat was not all the way back. soooo two things on the SPF that can help One is to remove the seat adjuster and bolt the seat to the floor in the most rear position that will help also with head room and second I think SPF's have adjustable peddles. I've never fooled with mine as I'm comfortable so I don't know how but I seem to remember that it was mentioned in the SPF literature.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I have an early #623, am 6'3" and I couldnt be happier with room in the car. I dont even have the seat in the last position. I give SPF 2 thumbs up on interior room.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Richard,

I have an ERA but I'm not nearly as big as you. I'm 5'9", 160. In my view, the ERA has a whole lot of room length wise. I have to move my seat all the way forward to be able to reach the pedals. Where it's lacking is in footbox width. I can manage okay with tennis shoes or dress shoes on but there's no way I could drive it with wide work boots on. With tennis shoes on I can barely manage to operate the gas without hitting the brake. So, if you're tall with skinny feet you'll probably be fine but if you have fat feet you'll be in trouble regardless of your height. Better check with your wife to see if you fall under the big foot or little foot heading.

Chris
Old 05-28-2003, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

On the era site you can go to the index & look for "Big People" http://www.erareplicas.com/427/cindex.htm

I twill give you some dimensions.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up No problems

I am 6'5" 225 lbs. and fit with no problems in my SPF. About the only thing I run into is having to turn my hat around backwards when cruising at freeway speeds. I have no trouble with footbox room and I drive with regular tennis shoes. My car is a late car with the dropped footboxes. I could see how it could be more restrictive without the dropped footbox. I find the driving position very comfortable but I am used to sitting on the floor with your legs straight out because the first car I ever owned was/is a 66 Mustang that sits the same way. The seats in my car are quite comfortable and provide tons of lateral, lumbar, and thigh support. Everyone comments how comfortable they are. I cannot say about an ERA car but my guess is they are about the same.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

at 6 feet 2 and 225 (unfortunately, that would have been nice many years ago, now too much is fat), i drive with my seat one click up from full rear. The SPF pedal set is ok with my size 13's, but true, would be tight down there with combat boots.

Plenty of headroom with both the old and the new lower fabric top, too.

I find my car very comfortable with the 15 inch tires, too.

One thing to consider, is a leather wheel, it is little smaller than the wooden one, and gives more thigh room, plus i don't have any trasmitted road or engine vibration, even with my full race Bilsteins, with no urethane bushings, just hardened steel.

By the way, the pedals are pefect for heel and toeing, my son routenely does it naturally, but i have decided i need to be as proficient, so i am now practing it at all braking points.

Chris likes to Heel and Toe so much, he just adjusted the brake pedal on his Boxster so it is much easier for him to do.

You can also move the clutch "pick-up" closer to the floor, to give a few inches of left leg room.

I suspect much of this also applies to the ERA cars.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 05-28-2003, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm 6'4" and 275 lbs and have driven Great Asp's Superformance. The biggest problem for me was that my left legs rubs up against the door hinge, making it uncomfortable to operate the clutch. I've had the same problem in a MidStates. A lower seat height might help get my leg under the hinge. A less offset clutch pedal and a more aft seat position would also help.

Dan Jones
Old 05-28-2003, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your replies - there is hope. This was my first thread on this site - your input is very helpful. I look forward to finding and purchasing the 'right' ERA or SPF that I fit into. Owning 2 late model LS1 Trans Ams, I am a member of the LS1.com site. The guys & gals on that site are very helpful also. It is always a pleasure communicating with performance oriented car enthusiasts.