Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Most rewarding comment?

Lets take the " is it real" thread 180 degrees and have some fun.

What is the nicest most rewarding compliment you have ever recieved on your Cobra. You know what I mean. The comment that makes all the stupid questions and all the jealous "kit" comments just fade away. One of those days that the corners of your jaw was sore from smiling so much and you had goose bumps and chills even though it was 100 degrees.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default nice to hear...

After breakfast a few weeks back at a local spot, a gentlemen and his son came out to my car as I was leaving stating it had been a long time since they had seen an original Cobra. I let him go on for 5 minutes before I told him. When I told him it was a replica, he did not believe me at first. He said he had been looking at Cobras his whole life and dreamed to have an original someday. The father handed me a hand-drawn picture that his son had just given him at breakfast for Father's Day. It was a detailed pencil picture of a 427SC Cobra in a nice frame. The Father just seemed so pleased to be looking at the car just after his son had just handed him the hand-drawn picture for Fathers day. He said the whole thing really made his day. It sure made my day too and even more grateful to own one of these cars.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

After passing 5 cars and a semi-tractor trailer rig on the twisty Kern River Valley road, my very experienced friend Larry turns to me and says, "I've NEVER been in a car that accelerates like this"!

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 07-02-2003 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-02-2003, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1. "Do you have a girlfriend"?
2. "This car makes you just want to take your top off"
3. "I've never felt power like that before, oh yeah the Cobra was fast too"

To be continued...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Paul,
I luv that kern Valley Road ! I haven't had the chance to do it in my Cobra but I sure was thinking about it. I was there camping and fishing with my little camp trailer.
I was at a show and this nice fellow came over and was looking at my cobra. He politely turned and asked if I was the owner. I said yes. He then proceeds to compliment me on putting in a Chevy engine in. He said that's the way they should have been from the start. Boy was I floored! That just isn't what I'm normally used to hearing. Most of the time it's UUUUeeeeooo ! it's got a CHEEEEVY in it!!!!

Hersh
Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Kern River Valley...the long way home from Bakersfield to Fresno. Ya baby!

Best comment was not a comment. Just the look some knowing folks give you.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

After blowing off a full-tilt nitrous enhanced ricer, the owner said after following me to work, "Man, that thing is wicked fast!!!"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 1137 EFI 347
Not Ranked     

Awhile back I had an oil line come loose while on a Sunday drive. No tools no cell. While sitting along side of the road a man with his family stopped in an old truck and asked if I needed help. You could tell they had just left church as they were in their Sunday Best. Much to my surprise, the guy asks me to do him the honor of allowing him to work on my Cobra. He got his tools out, rolled up the sleeves of his clean white shirt and crawled into the wheel well. I'll never forget that man. It certainly restored my faith in humanity.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hersh,

There's a little hotrod shop in North Hollywood called Frantic Freds. Once in a while, when they get enough orders, they cast a bunch of rocker cover adapters. With a pair of these, you can slap a nice set of "COBRA, Powered by Ford" pieces on your power plant. Then, everybody's happy!

1. The casual observer is impressed.
2. You know you have the best of both worlds.
3. The knowledgable engine man will raise his eyebrows at the distributor, then give you a big smile.
4. The purest will be happy, at first, until you point out what you did, then he will turn and throw up. It doesn't get much better than that!

Paul
Old 07-02-2003, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Before I got my Cobra everytime I would see someone driving theirs I would turn to my wife say "that Bast_rd"

At the Tulsa meet a couple of weeks ago this guy and his wife were looking at my car when I came up and the guy asked me if it was mine and said yes and he began to ask a couple questions and said thank you and left. But, as he walked away he turned to his wife and said "Bast_rd". I completly understood.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

I was at a waxer show, and a guy and his wife stopped by to look at mine. He turned to his wife and said, "see honey, this is a real one and the others were kit cars". "This guy must work at Microsoft or something to own an original and drive it on the street."

More funny than a compliment, but I enjoyed it. First the perception that everyone at MS is a millionaire (oh how I wish that was true)....Then, the fact that I had spent under 20k (at the time before all the engine crap).
Old 07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

"I like your car. Here is my cell phone number. Call me." I did. A great couple of weeks!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One very simple statement by a guy in a beautiful 360 Modena....

"That is one beautiful car!"
(250hp shot)
802hp total
titanium\black stripes
Old 07-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to K.Wilson
Not Ranked     

Waiting at a stop light when a guy pulls up on our right in a big 4x4 and says "Beautiful just BEA-U-TI-FUL". I looked up at him and asked if he was talking about the car or the Blond.
He turned red-faced and pulled away.............. I was in full agreement both ways!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have had a couple of really great ones.

"WOW!!! How did you paint your fiberglass to look like aluminum?" (Knocking on the fender, of course.)

At the NY Auto Show, a kid came up, looked at the car and turned to his friend and exclaimed, "Wow...that's better than Playboy!"

Another classic from the NY Auto Show.

I kid all decked out in chains, baggy pants, etc with his "Posse" strutted up and asked,

"How much horsepower?" "500" I replied.
"How much torque?" "500" I replied.

Whereupon he turned to his friend, slapped him on his chest, wagged his finger at him and exclaimed, "@#$% your turbo Honda ain't $hit!"

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 07-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

The guy didn't say anything. He stopped his pickup at the stop sign, jumped out with a camera, ran back and took a picture of the car, waved, got back in the truck and drove off.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default David K's 'ricer' story.....

David
Old 07-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

We were trailering through Louisiana, using an open trailer.

I know what you're thinking, but really, two complete sets of dive gear wouldn't fit in/on the Cobra

Crossing the Mississippi River on a very small ferry at St. Francisville, we encountered a couple of the local characters, two Cajun fishermen. After some other conversation, the following was said:

One said, "That thing's so pretty it makes my eyes hurt."

Said the other, "There's only one thing wrong with that car." "What???" I said. "It ain't mine!" he replied.

Made our day.

Tom
Old 07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 302->351
Not Ranked     
Default A couple more

From a very well off acquaintance with a Merc 500 SL: "wanna trade?"

One from a girl walking by and waiting to hear it start: "oooooh..." uttered right after it started.

JLW
(I've *got* to get that thing down off jack stands!)
Old 07-02-2003, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I was out for a leisurely cruise the other night, diligently obeying the speed limit. A young kid in a late model Mustang came up quickly from behind and as he passed he raced his engine, and emitted a rather high pitched whine.

Just ahead was a stoplight. As I eased up next to him I gave the throttle a slight blip and the car roared. He turned his head, looked at me, laughed and said "beautiful car man!"

When the light turned green, he drove away a little more respectfully.

Boy, these cars are a blast!

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!