LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Help selecting a Daily Driver/Tow Vehicle

Well, it's time to replace one of the Computerworks' service vans (180k minivan).

This may be an opportunity to get a bigger vehicle that could be used to also pull an enclosed trailer (24' min) on weekends.

How about some suggestions?
Will be looking at pre-owned vehicles and I am thinking uber-SUV, like an Excursion or GMC.

I would like to hear why a diesel is better for towing.

Can a diesel be used practically around town for deliveries, etc.?

If I do go Ford.. what engine is the best choice, from your experience?

A pickup is out of the question, since it will be carrying equipment, etc., during the week. (..plus, I am a city boy... I didn't see my first pick-up until I was 13 years old).

Any and all suggestions from experience are welcomed. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Ron,

With a 24' (minimum) enclosed trailer, you'll want some real torque from your tow vehicle, hence the diesel engines hands down winner in this department.

A longer wheel base like you get in a F250 or F350 ext.cab pickup is also some advantage in handling at highway speeds.

If you can't do a pickup, get the biggest behemoth SUV with the diesel option.

The subject was discussed a few weeks ago..... should still be on here somewhere.

Good luck wtih your choice.

BTW... my brother-in-law has a CPA firm out on Long Island that travels a lot... even into the city. He uses a Chevy 2500 crew cab pick up. The 6' bed has a fiber glass toneau that can be locked, protecting his audio/visual equipment he usually carries on presentations. Don't rule this type truck out.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

CW,

The advice above is very sound. Longer wheelbases are key to towing stability, but an Excursion would work very well. My buddy Johan tows several 20-24 foot enclosed trailers with his. Diesel is my two engine of choice. Since doing the chip and exhaust on my 2002 Powerstroke, I am getting 21-23 mpg highway, 17 mpg city, and 13 mpg towing a 28 foot tag at 70-80mph. It's actually now one of my most economical vehicles
Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, FE 428
Not Ranked     

I pull a 24' (10k lbs loaded) with a Suburban (8.1 ltr, 4:10 rear). Upside: Rated to pull 12k. It will pull all day long, even uphill at the speed limit. Downside: ~ 8-9 mpg towing, 10-12 city, 12-14 hwy. My daily commute is short so gas mileage wasn't a factor in my decision. If you can live with the mileage, this vehicle is hard to beat.

6T5
Old 07-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Ron,

You were a little more specific in your needs, but here is a thread that has some info for you to consider.

Jamie

Tow Vehicles
Old 07-08-2003, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I also have the Excursion. 2002 diesel chipped. 30' trailer with two cars and a chassis hanging above. 55k miles now. No problems. Running on synthetic. Drive the car every day back and forth to work and all over the country doing stuff. Power is unbelivable. I don't have any knowledge of others but can vouch for the ford power stroke. Oh fuel mileage, great around town, above twenty, on the road 22 or better, doesn't care about mountains very much. Pullin' trailer with big load 14-15mpg.

Good Luck
Chuck
Old 07-08-2003, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Diesel, its the coming thing. Something like half the cars in europe are diesels. We are going to eventually catch up.

Oh, and my daily driver is an F250 with a 7.3 turbo diesel. 20+ mpg. Bought it used. Best truck I ever owned...

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 07-08-2003 at 07:56 AM..
Old 07-08-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC on order, 351c4v and top loader for power. And did I say that it will be Orange with white stripes?
Not Ranked     

Yes, this was covered this past week under "Tow Vehicle" I believe.

The 7.3 Power Stroke is a proven engine with a lot of after market support. My 99 Super Duty Crew Cab has 135000 miles and is going strong, no problems. I have a superchip program and Magaflow exhaust on mine and get 18 mpg, plus it runs like a spotted ape!

The down side of running a diesel is the cost of preventive maintenance. It is a lot higher. 14 quarts of oil and a $10.00 filter every 3000 miles,$25.00 fuel filter 15,000 miles, coolant additive every 15,000 miles and so on. But who's counting.........

Hope this helps
Old 07-08-2003, 08:06 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default DON'T SELL NEW SHORT

RON,
As I said in an earlier post, I saved a ton of money by buying an Escalade (demo) at the end of the month. It had 5,000 miles on it and was the dealership owner's car. Perfect condition and already broken in for my towing purposes. Add in 0% financing and all the factory incentives, you can buy a new vehicle for about the same as a preowned. My son just bought a new GMC diesel crew cab for towing. I assume you could get a diesel in a Denali SUV; it might take some looking.
Saw a Ford Excursion w/ diesel yesterday, God it was BIG.
Get your ducks in a row, and then get ready to "Hammer 'Em" the end of the month.

I would think "The TURK" should have some contacts close to you, "who owe him one." Time to call in the chip?

I look at it this way: You are doing the dealership a favor by taking a car off their lot, and off their floor plan. They don't need to make any money off the sale, you have just saved them the interest for another month.

Good Luck,

TL
Old 07-08-2003, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 4x4, 3/4 ton, locking rear end and the towing package.

The 6 liter makes 320 hp and 340 ft lbs and get 15 mpg.

I love the truck!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Hi,
I am a car dealer by trade for 25yrs,a diesel is definately best for your towing,torque,runs cooler,etc.but I would ask myself how many towing miles versus normal miles I would use it,occasional towing I maybe would go gas,simply because it is MUCH more convenient to fuel,and more user friendly,quieter,etc,if your wife drives it she wont like pumping the diesel.
If you go with gas,gm or ford is nip and tuck I think,with the nod going to gm for body, interior design and durability,BUT if you go diesel,RUN, dont walk away from anything GM,,the new duramax is an improvement,but the 6.5's are junk pure and simple,and none touch the ford power stroke.
good luck ,,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 07-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Definitely the Ford F-250/350 diesel. Best truck around twenty seven years running. Your choice on the cab arrangement.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I have a '95 crew cab diesel dually Ford. It makes nowhere near the power of the newer Power Stroke motors--they've made tremendous advances in the last few years--but it has still pulled a 22' enclosed trailer loaded with a car at 75 mph, up hill and down, no sweat. MPG around town is in the 16 - 17 range, fully loaded with a trailer, in a bad head wind, etc., it is between 11 - 13. The motor is dead-stock, no chip, etc., and the truck has 80,000 miles on it.

The dual rear wheels are a pain for some people, especially if you drive in town a lot. For me they are wonderfully reassuring when pulling a small fortune behind me on a trailer--

Bob
Old 07-08-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ford F350 CC/DRW/LWB/4x4.
You need the 4x4 option because these long wheel base trucks can get stuck on wet grass.
Ask Rich Lacey(Rich's Classic Transport) about Chevy Duracraps, if he made it home from Atlanta he probably had to stop and buy a new Ford.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

You could get there real fast in a Ford Lightning 380hp- 450t.
Mike
Old 07-08-2003, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Ford 250/350 Diesel, get 3.70 limited slip rear gear no lower, 20+ MPG, best truck I ever had, bought new in 1999. 185,000 miles and still love my truck. P.S. chip the engine. db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SFCJ,

Soooooo, you have car I assume???????
Old 07-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

P.S. I had a Lightning before my F250. F250 wins hands down. Lightning is a great "toy", but a useless truck.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF "street car" 418 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default King Ranch

My vote would also be for a truck with a cap or lid. The crew-cabs
are quickly growing in popularity and are comfortable and convenient for passengers. Ford offers a V-10 which is the best choice for towing with gas, but if you plan to tow much you definately should go diesel. Also, another reason to get the diesel is if you will keep it a long time. I forget exactly what they say, but over the life of the engine(+-300k mi) you will have easily gotten back the initial higher costs of the diesel.

A dually is even a better choice to tow with but more of a handful for city and regular driving and remember all trucks obviously have stiff suspensions to carry loads so they will not ride as nice as SUV's.

If you do consider a P/U, check out the Ford Superduty with the King Ranch package. I have the little F-150 Supercrew King Ranch and OMG, it is nice.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Ron...per YOUR needs, go with a new Suburban, or an Expedition if you can go a little smaller.

Excursion's just tall and long enough to screw you up in city parking garages and other parking scenarios. Suburban is usually ok, Expedition makes it. Tahoes are too short for your needs.

Diesel is better, but think of availability where you drive. Gas probably makes more sense on a daily basis and for the occasional tow where you live and drive.

Go new if at all possible (with the 0%--maybe you can). Having a warranty on one of these pigs is well worth it if you will be putting work miles on it.

New Expedition's fold down third seat will be great when you need to haul equipment. Suburban has greater room behind the third seat and overall. I prefer Ford, but the Chevy gas motor is stronger.

As you've said, a pickup won't work for your daily needs...

Can't recall too many 8000 foot mountain passes east of the Mississippi...

Last edited by Jamo; 07-09-2003 at 11:08 AM..