28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Daytona at Goodwood.

Have just spent the weekend at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and have posted a shot of the Daytona that was shipped over for the event as part of the celebrations for the 100 Years of Ford.

There were also the 3 GT40 Mk2's that took the first 3 places at Le Mans in 1966 plus a red GT.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Credit the win at Le Mans in '66 and '67 to Phil Remington. For those who will be attending the Revival of Speed in September, Phil will be with us at the OY 2 paddock.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I just looked at some pictures on www.gt40s.com of the "aerial display" on Lord March's front lawn. Incredible! The cars suspended on the display are GTD Mk1 replicas, with custom-made MkII rear bodywork, painted to match the three '66 cars.

You are fortunate to be able to attend such a fantastic event. The Festival and the Goodwood Revival have got to be two events no vintage fan should miss, along with Monterey--

Last edited by snakeeyes; 07-15-2003 at 02:00 PM..
Old 07-18-2003, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree that these are the three great events of the year.

Havn't been to Monterey for a few years as it's a long way to go for a weekend.

The great thing about Goodwood is the access to the cars and drivers - including some of the current F1 stars.

This weekend I will be at the British GP where the drivers anyone could rub shoulders with last weekend will only be viewable to most spectators at a long distance and through wire fencing.

Last weekend there was only a straw bale between me and the cars. How refreshing!

Cal Metal - I know that this is a Cobra site but have posted a photo I took of the Ken Miles GT40 as a tribute to him and of course to Phil Remington. How do I recognise you at the Revival?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

What are the differences between the Goodwood Revival and the Festival of Speed? If you could only make it to one, which would it be?

I'm no expert.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Pderouss:

I will be the only good looking guy in the OY 2 paddock. The only team member who is American with an English nose.

Lew:

The Festival of Speed is a hill climb event, of sorts. The Revivial takes place on the Goodwood Race Circuit which was quite famous until its closure in 1966 (I think).
Old 07-18-2003, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Difficult decision.

The Festival is a hill climb where you see a much greater variety of cars but they are racing against the clock rather than against each other. Cars range from current F1 to the very earliest racers from the start of the last century. It also includes all the greatest current Supercars.

At the Revival the focus is on racing of post WW2 to mid 60's cars. Many people also dress up in period 50's and 60's clothes and there are special parking areas for spectators who turn up in pre 1966 cars. As a result it's a bit like being in a time warp
and is very sociable.

So if you like variety go to the Festival and if you like authenticity (from a relatively narrow period) go to the Revival. Preferably go to both!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cal Metal. That should make it easy then! By the way - what is an "english nose"? Is it one that is stuck in the air?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi Pderouss do you know the festival of speed is on TV before the G.P. qualifying in I.T.V. At Goodwood did you see Richard Attwood charging up the course in the Gran Sport Corvette, awesome. On saturday late in the afternoon , Jack Brabham went up the hill with the yellow cobra then came down without it. Do you what happened?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Paul:

I was thinking of a nose along the lines of Sherlock Holmes. You've met me---do I qualify for that distinction?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Cal has a nose that reminds me of the actor who plays "Mr. Bean"--who, incidentally, drives his Jaguar at the Revival every year. Cal is that really you?

If it were me I would go to the Revival. It's moniker of "A Magical Step Back in Time" is an accurate one, it seems. I would be able to offer more personal insight if my September 12, 2001 travel plans hadn't been interrupted by tragedy...
Old 07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PDHse

Thanks for the tip about the TV showing.

Have just posted a picture of the Gran Sport and the yellow Cobra onto the gallery.
Not sure what happened to Brabham but I did get some nice close up shots of him on Saturday.

Snakeeyes.

On reflection I think you are right, it would have to be the revival. It's a very close run thing though. Rowan Atkinson who plays Mr Bean is a very accomplished driver and has an outstanding collection of cars. I'll look out for someone with a similar nose.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool

Cal , i don,t know about your english nose but im the one with a stupid grin at goodwood luving all those great cars.
Pderouss, i looked in your gallery and those pictures are very good. I,ve written to the A.C. owners club to establish the serial number of the yellow cobra at goodwood. I think i,ve got too much time on my hands.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cal. Were you with one of the Cobra's that raced last year? If so which one as I probably have some reasonable pictures of it in action on the track.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

No. I was with the Old Yeller II team, although the year before Ernie Nagamatsu had his white blue stripe Le Mans Hardtop car at GW with Lynn St. James as his "star" driver. We missed that trip, as our plane departure was on 9/12. We know what happened on 9/11
Old 07-25-2003, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I certainly remember Old Yeller and got a reasonable photo of it (which is in the gallery)as it hit the chicane. Hopefully whatever car you are with this year does not come to a similar fate!