28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2003, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Resale Value

In a Superformance Cobra what engine option hold's it's value the best?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

351W built by a "name brand" builder or a 460 crate motor both seem to do well.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

Taters, still 4 sale............Its not to late.......
Old 07-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I personally believe that the old saying "BIGGER IS BETTER" applies to this.

Brian
Old 07-17-2003, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's what my wife say's. ( I don't think she is refering to motors)
Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sparks,

Thanks for the opportunity, I am only interested in SB 100 titled cars!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

Taters, Isnt a title a title unless it was done threw titles unlimited ?? Once a car is titled its titled isnt it ? I could be wrong but I dont think I am... Good luck..
Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sparks,

Due a search on SB100 or go to www.hillbankusa.com
There ph # is 714-641-3100 ask for Dennis.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

in any Cobra..................................FE

KK
Old 07-18-2003, 04:13 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Forget the 460, forget the 351W, if you want a SPF to stand out from the crowd, a 428, or a 427 FE motor is the only way this will happen. Take a look on the web, see how many of the others are FS, and FS for quite some time. If your looking at the potential purchase of any cobra with resale in mind, forget about making money as well........................

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-18-2003, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Resale value" is about how much of your money you spent and how much your "loss" is when you sale it. A 427c.i. 500+ horsepower Superformance Cobra might sale for more money than a 514c.i. 600+ horsepower Superformance Cobra, but the 427c.i. engine cost two to three times as much!

Let's say you have $75,000.00 in your 427c.i. FE Superformance Cobra and two years later (in the market today) you sale it for $56,000.00. Let's say your friend has $60,000.00 in his 514c.i. "stroker" Superformance Cobra and two years later (in the market today) he sales his for $46,000.00.

Not only is your friends 514c.i. 5-speed Cobra faster than yours, but his Cobra had a better "resale value".
Old 07-18-2003, 07:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Bandit,

Your missing the point, we are not talking strokers motors, just motors in general. if you want your car to stand out from the crowd of other SPF's (most with 351W or 460 crate engines), your going to need to make it really stand out.........

Bill S.

PS: look at how many SPF (and others) are for sale right now with 351W and 460 crate engines), then look at how many are for sale (or how quickly they sold) with the FE motors.............Most (but not all) of the people buying used Cobras are looking to get the most realistic looking car they can fior the money they have to spend. be it $25,000, or $125,000...................

Bill S.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One thing is for sure. An original 427SO will only appreciate over time. While the car may drop in value, the value of the motor will not.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. Mustang,

I don't care if it is a 351, 390, 460, 514, or 6 cylinder engine in a Superformance Cobra. If you pay $75,000.00 for a Cobra and you sale it for $56,000.00 ($19,000.00 loss) and your friend sales his he bought for $60,000.00 for $46,000.00 ($14,000.00 loss) the 427 FE engined Cobra DID NOT have the better "resale value".

Everyone see's Cobra's with 427 S.O. engines for sale for 5 - $10,000.00 more than a small block or 385 series engined Cobra and they say the "FE powered car has a better resale value".

As far as there being more smallblock and 385 series Superformance Cobra's for sale, there was only a very small number of 427 S.O. Superformance Cobra's made.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

but wait, there's more...in each case you cited the depreciation loss is about 25%, ( one rounded at 25% and the other at 27%) so, ok a 2 pt spread, no big deal...so while the dollar loss is greater in one ex vs the other, the percentage loss is about a wash . its all relatively equal in % terms. bill.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Each Cobra manufacturer has it's "place" in the Cobra market. I am sure a 460 (385 series) engined ERA Cobra would probably have a worse "resale value" than one with a 427 S.O. engine in it. In this case, the ERA Cobra is known for it's "authentic look" and therefore usually they come with 427 or 428 engines in them. A 460 engine in a ERA Cobra would be "out of place", and therefore would not be such a good value for resale.

A Superformance Cobra is not suppose to be 100% authentic looking (square tube frame, 5-speed transmission, no fans up front, etc...) and therefore more of them have "stroker" small blocks or NON FE big blocks.

I myself would not put a FE engine in a Superformance Cobra (I had a 650 horsepower 427 S.O. engine and chose not to use it in the Superformance Cobra) and if I had wanted to use the FE engine I would have probably put it in a ERA Cobra.

The 427 SOHC engine is the only FE engine I would even think about putting in a Superformance Cobra.

BILL:

I am only commenting on the "MYTH" that a FE engine has the better resale value in a Superformance Cobra.

Last edited by BANDIT 1; 07-18-2003 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2003, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I KNOW there are some people who have bought their Cobra because it DID have a 427 and THAT was the reason. Same car, different motor = no sale. Price is part but not all of the picture for these type of buyers that MUST have one.

......now as to wether it was a C.O. or an S.O. is something I might follow up on.

Ernie
Old 07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Bandit 1,

Your still missing the point. I am not picking on any Cobra manufacturer, just using a general term of what is, and what is not selling at this time and why...........I've been watching this market since 1982. Real or replica sdoes not make a difference, the real difference is in the details of the build........

Bill S.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. Excalibur:

I know people that bought a Cobra just because it had a small block engine in it. So what?

The title to the thread is "Resale Value".

Mr. Mustang:

There has never been thousands of 427 FE engines around for use in a Cobra, therefore of course when one comes for sale the people that are looking for "that in a Cobra" they jump right on it. So I guess you could re-title this thread "easiest to sale quickly", however that does not make it the best "resale valued engine in a Superformance Cobra".

The original poster asked about resale value of a Superformance Cobra.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

No, the original poster asked "In a Superformance Cobra what engine option hold's it's value the best?"

To which my response is still the 428CJ, or 427FE of any variety. The 351W and 460 powered Superformance are a dime a dozen. if you want the greatest resale value, you need to make your car stand out from the crowd in regard to engines offered...You still don't get this, you may never get it...........

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by BANDIT 1

Mr. Excalibur:

So I guess you could re-title this thread "easiest to sale quickly", however that does not make it the best "resale valued engine in a Superformance Cobra".

The original poster asked about resale value of a Superformance Cobra.