28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Books

Can anyone please list for me the titles and authors names, isbn no.s of past and present published books on the Cobra. Im trying to build a comprehensive cobra libary.

thanks guys
Old 07-18-2003, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

shelby's wildlife

great book! goes over the shelby history of cars. very hard to find, i think...

i cant remember the author i will check i out when i get home and let you know.

it even talks about ol' shel as a chicken farmer. hahahaha

brad
Old 07-18-2003, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA; 351W
Not Ranked     

Meat has a fairly good review of Cobra and related books on his web site. Go to: http://cobratrader.com/html/bookstore.html
Old 07-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

"Shelby's Wildlife" is by Wallace Wyss and comes in two versions, pre and post Chrysler. It is a fair book at best with a lot of " old wives tales" in it IMHO.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-18-2003, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks mark iv,
i was just on amazon looking for it and you beat me to it. i didnt know there were two versions? mine must be pre chrysler. its only about the cobras 260, 289, 427, daytona, 350, 500. huh i am glad i got out of bed today learnt sumthin new!

brad
Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelbys Wildlife is out of print

..but you can find it on ebay.Prices vary according to condition, the hardbound version is the one that is Ford only; later softbound version has the Dodges.

Since Shelby's Wildlife was written 41 years ago, a lot of water has gone under the bridge in Shelbyville.A more modern look at the firm(s) by the same author, a treatment that is more of a business bio that a how-big-is-the-carburetor-in-the-'65 Shelby is found in a new book (2007) entitled
SHELBY The Man The Cars The Legend

or if you like pictures more than words, a photo and caption book published in 2007 is
COBRA & SHELBY MUSTANG Photo Archive

both available from MBI or if you want to buy them wholesale to resell at swap meets
try the publisher Iconografix Inc. Hudson WI
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't mind the man behind the curtain!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
..but you can find it on ebay.Prices vary according to condition, the hardbound version is the one that is Ford only; later softbound version has the Dodges.

Since Shelby's Wildlife was written 41 years ago, a lot of water has gone under the bridge in Shelbyville.A more modern look at the firm(s) by the same author, a treatment that is more of a business bio that a how-big-is-the-carburetor-in-the-'65 Shelby is found in a new book (2007) entitled
SHELBY The Man The Cars The Legend

or if you like pictures more than words, a photo and caption book published in 2007 is
COBRA & SHELBY MUSTANG Photo Archive

both available from MBI or if you want to buy them wholesale to resell at swap meets
try the publisher Iconografix Inc. Hudson WI
Wally,

I didn't realize that you wrote Shelby's Wildlife in 1967. I thought you wrote it sometime in the 1970s since I vaguely remember it having a couple of pictures from the filming of Gumball Rally.

My wife got me a copy of your new book SHELBY The Man The Cars The Legend for Christmas, but I have not gotten a chance to read it yet.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_dude View Post
Can anyone please list for me the titles and authors names, isbn no.s of past and present published books on the Cobra. Im trying to build a comprehensive cobra libary.

thanks guys
There are some really good books, but some of them are out of print and pricey.

One that recently came back into print is called something like "The Cobra-Ferarri Wars" by Mike Shoen.

There's also a book on the Daytona Coupes by Pete Brock, Dave Friedman and someone else.

Dave Friedman was the official Shelby American photographer and there are a number of books he was involved with on Cobras, GT40s and even one on the Corvette Grand Sport.

Trevor Legate has a few Cobra books (and at least one GT40 book too). His current book is called something like Cobra: The First 40 Years.

Another pretty old book is called something like The Shelby American Guide from SAAC. I think Rick Kopec wrote it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

There's a new book with some great old coupe and roadster pictures in it called (Bob Bondurant America's Uncrowned World Driving Champion)...It's really a good book with plenty of pics 188 pages..Dave
Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Here's a list from csxinfo

csxinfo.net - Book Store
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Buyer guide

I am looking for a buyers guide to cobra's. I am interested in purchasing one, but I need some material to look at that gives me a guide what to look for and what questions to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint213 View Post
I am looking for a buyers guide to cobra's. I am interested in purchasing one, but I need some material to look at that gives me a guide what to look for and what questions to ask.

Thanks in advance.
sprint213,

Are you looking for reference material for the purchase of an original Cobra? If so, the first book to add to your library would be the new SAAC World Registry.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

COBRAThe First 40 Years By Trevor Legate
Just received it. Looks pretty interesting !
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Cobra Serial #1425, 2007 SHELBY MUSTANG GT500, 2000 Cobra R #15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_dude View Post

thanks guys
I have a comprehensive collection:

My favs:

David Bull Publishing.

I have 2 Daytona Coupe books too!

MM

Last edited by VE4MM; 12-27-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Why don't you just go to Amazon

And do a search in books for Shelby...or Shelby Cobra...that's what I did and It worked for me.....My favorites would be...." The Cobra Ferrari Wars" by Shoen ... "Cobra the First 40 Years" by Legate and ....maybe the bible... " Cobra The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965" by Friedman....BUT, I am interested in the racing cars and their history...Amazon has reviews and lotsa other tools you might find useful...Watch out for Ist editions unless you know what you are doing, they can be expensive if you are a casual reader..

Last edited by Bartruff1; 12-27-2008 at 07:08 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those Daytona coupe books by Stauffer
Publishing are worth anywhere from $750 to over $1000 because
there weren't that many printed. Some of them had a lot of the original participants in the Cobra racing program sign them, of course those editions are worth more.
Ol' George doesn't seem inclined to reprint it, too bad because it was an excellent quality book with many rare pictures and quotes. Clue: If you want to see one, go to your local library. There is a program called Interlibrary loan. For $2-3 they will find the book for you and loan it to you. I was tempted to keep the one from the library I borrowed it from but it was almost falling apart...