28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2003, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Art Of Negotiation

I am in the market for a Superformance Cobra. I have looked at several cars in my area. The asking price for the cars I looked at was on the high side. What I want to know is " Do these cars sell for the asking price"

Since I have never bought a car of this type, can you give me some pointers in negotiating a better price?

THANK YOU
Old 07-20-2003, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As others have said you must first decide exactly what you are looking for. Because the new to used price is close to the same on all Superformance Cobra's (which you learned in your other thread...), you should get the car you want. A small block, 427 S.O., 460 and 520+ c.i. "stroker" engined Cobra buyer are looking for something different in a Cobra. Let's say that someone talks you into a 500 horsepower small block (they told you that "500 horsepower was more than enough horsepower). You receive the car and you go for a cruise and after a couple of weeks you realize that the car is so easy to drive that you wish you had more power. Now you have to spend thousands of dollars more (unless you do nitrous) and have the engine pulled (mabey the transmission also) just to have the car you wanted first. The same could be said if you wanted to go road racing and you where talked into a 600+ horsepower big block. You would have been better off with the 500 horsepower small block.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tater:

After you tell us what you are looking for, than more information can be given to you for negotiating a price for the car. The different (small block, 427 FE, 460, and 514c.i. +, etc...) engined/transmission Cobra's are all going to have different buying and selling issues.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Taters

That depends. If someone is asking a reasonable amount, it will sell for the asking price. What do you consider "on the high side"?

Describe the cars and features you are looking for and I am sure you can get opinions on the value. But keep in mind, we all have "opinions" and what someone thinks is a value, others might think it is over or under priced. Often, it is very subjective.

Example:
In my "opinion", the company selling the SPF in Washington for $70K (small block with EFI) is on the high-side. http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/43250538.htm

By comparison, The SPF 1000 that is for sale on this site appears to be a good value at an asking price of $44,900 (396 with hardtop) http://www.clubcobra.com/banner/spf1000.htm

Give us exactly what you are looking for and what you expect to pay for it and maybe someone here can post a lead for you.

Good Luck.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 07-20-2003 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-20-2003, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am interested in a SPF car, one that is registered in California under SB 100. I am still up in the air over a 427FE and a 351 stroker motor. I believe most of the SPF cars have the Tremac transmission. I would prefer a low mileage example with proper
documentation. Guardmans blue would be my first color choice.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And what do you expect to pay for a Guardsman Blue SPF with a 351 or 427?

Old 07-20-2003, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 427 FE Superformance Cobra and a 351 "stroker" Superformance Cobra are two different animals. The 427 FE car will probably have a top loader 4-speed transmission and the 351 "stroker" car will probably have a Tremec 5-speed. The 427 FE car owner won't have to negotiate much if at all because it is a "rare" sought after engine in a Superormance Cobra. The small block "stroker" Superformance Cobra owner might have to negotiate because of several "stroker" small block Superformance Cobra's for sale and there is more of a chance of finding someone with economic troubles needing to sell fast.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

Between 45 & 50K
Old 07-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It IS a buyers market, and prices ARE down from what they were a year or so ago. The impact on the high end cars has not been "as noticable", but it has had an impact in a number of cases. Shelbys, Kirkhams, ERA's and SPF's are (generally speaking) holding their value well in this down market. BUT occasionally some great deals have been seen even with these high end cars.

Patience is the key to finding a good deal. Not all Cobra sellers will want to negotiate, they may not acknowledge that the market is down on THEIR car (wether it's true or not).

Simply offer what you think is a fair price, and move on. If you MUST have an SPF you will PROBABLY pay close to last years market value. If you want something else, you could save a LOT of money over last years prices by looking at other cars.

The older SPF's do not have the "enhancements" of the newer ones. Which is no doubt true of ALL Cobra margues. A #300 series SPF would not be as "desirable" to me as say a "higher number" SPF with those refinements. HOW you could use this to your advantage in gaining a better price would be to know WHAT those enhancements were, how the cars have changed over the years. I'm no SPF expert so I will pass on commenting as to what I THINK those changes are and what they mean. But if I was "shopping" for one, I WOULD know exactly what it all means!

I settled on Classic Roadster and Excaliburs for my personal choice of a Cobra. I STUDY the heck out of them and am quite knowledgable about the differences in the cars over the years. Quality car vary a lot!

With an SPF the differences are far more subtle, the quality is far more consistant. That is the MAIN reason they ALL pretty much sell for the same amount, with SOME exceptions to this rule.

Heres an interesting comparison between an ERA and an SPF as far as price goes! It appears to me this particular ERA is an "excellent" buy. If I had to choose between a similiar SPF and this ERA at the same price, I would go with ERA everytime!

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...295#post369295

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-20-2003 at 11:38 AM..
Old 07-20-2003, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Good luck trying to find an SPF period that has been registered under SB100, these cars may be worth more than others around the country based on that alone. I am assuming that it can be passed on to the next buyer which is still not clear to me. CA does not have anymore slots for this year all 500 are gone, the next year batch will be gone by end of January (my guess). In short you may not have the chance to select from many motor and color options....

Allan
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I will jump in here as I am in a similiar situation as Taters....and maybe my question will help him as well....I am as well looking at either a new or pre-owned Cobra (I live as well in California) and seem to be drawn to Superformance given the strong ocal presence here via the dealer (Hillbank). My big dilema is what engine ? I just sold my late model Porsche c-2 cab as it was about as much fun as my family Mercedes.

Bandit1 asked...what do you want the car for? I am envisioning weekend drives to club events, cruise nights, showing the car and maybe club track events once and a while.

So, the question is what engine, performance scenario makes most sense? And I agree, settling on this question for a newbie is the first in narrowing down the search. But, getting this nailed seems to be hard as everyone says "get what you want"... Easier said than done if you don't know...so, from experience, any inputs (opinions?)??? What are the true pro's and con's and what should someone look for in picking an engine or installer, etc.?

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Taters, in your price range I am surprised that you dont have a car yet. I think there are a bunch in that range, have you looked on cobracountry?http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...donnell-ca.jpg
http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...malcolm-va.jpg
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...arsche2-nj.jpg
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...-bagley-va.jpg
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...kaszuba-mo.jpg
Have you called any of these?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blue Rooster,

I am only Interested in California cars that have gone through
SB100. On the Cobra Country website there are 2 California Cobras that are SPF. One of the cars is registered by that person in Alabama ( I am sure you know who I mean) the other has been sold!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Taters,

Your price expectations are very reasonable and you should have little problem finding a car in that range (SB100 cars not withstanding).

Looks like BlueRooster has even given you some good ideas!

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2003, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. SDR:

Pretty much all of the engine combinations will do what you asked. In my case I wanted atleast 650 horsepower and the ability to run in the mid 10's in the 1/4 mile with only the addition of street legal "Drag Radials". The 520 c.i. Big block engine in my Cobra cost about 1/2 the price of a similar powered 427 S.O. engine. A good idea is to go to Cobra Country (and the "for sale" section on Club Cobra) and read the different items listed on each Superformance Cobra, this might give you a good idea of combinations that fit your idea of the Cobra you might want.