28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Superformance Alternator Problems

I've always had a problem with my alternator and power with my car. It was never a big deal that bothered me too much, the car always ran ok, would usually start, the voltage gauge would only drop to around 12 volts unless I turned on the heat, lights or cooling fans. As long as I only turned on one of them the car was fine. I was told that it was the underdrive pulleys that where installed on my engine. Not to mention the battery that needed to be replaced. It now is a problem. I've just had a stereo installed, to say the least it is a loud, but now the alternator isn't worth crap. I've already got a brand new battery, it helped but it didn't solve my problem. I've looked into aftermarket alternators that make hi-amps at idle. Two problems arise, I can have one hand built ($850) which is not really what I want to do, or i can buy a aftermarket hi-amp unit. The problem with the aftermarket unit is that almost all of them are internally regulated, the superformnace has an external slectronic regulator. Is there anyway to change the wiring for an internal regulator, or is there a benifit to the external regulator, or is not even possible to change it? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
-E44i5
Old 07-25-2003, 04:13 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Question New Alt.

Sounds like it is time for a new, bigger Alternator.

You may have a low amperage alternator.

With all the different mounts made, you should probably make friends with the counter guy at the parts house.

Take your alternator in and start checking things out. Find out what you have and what you can get.

I have a standard 60 Amp alt. works fine.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

If you are a SCOF member ask this question there. There is an unbelievable amount of info there. If not, sign up now!
Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

e44i5...sounds like your SPF is FINE, but you have an ENGINE/ALT problem, no ? just wondering as SPF does not do engine installs and you had me worried there for a minute that there was a car problem.

I can't help ya with your alt issue, added a radio to mine with power amp and since 1996 car has same alternator and one new battery and no problems. Heat has been known to take its toll on the alternators and underdrive pulleys seem to perplex some too.

However, I am sure someone else will chime in and help ya out as many have been converting to the 100 amp single wire alts with built in volt regulators as can be found for sale on the Performance Unlimited site : www.performanceunlimited.com . they are chrome too , look kinda spiffy under the bonnet of any Cobra experiencing similar problems. bill.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

E44i5..i meant to also add this 100 amp alternator specific address to my prior post, sorry :

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ternators.html
Old 07-25-2003, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to outlawrods
Not Ranked     

We have seen this on a few cars, some time it is the pulley I had to change mine to make 14 volts. As for a bigger alt we use Powermaster one wire systems and get rid of the external regulator. call us at the shop Outlaw Motorsports, Inc 631*-547-7006 we are in LI.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

What does “underdrive pulleys” mean? What is the ratio?

For your original setup (no radio) you should have at least a 2:1 alternator ratio with a 60-70 amp alternator. On my car I have a March 5 1/2" Crank Pulley and 2 11/16" alternator pulley. I have 9000 mile on my car with this setup and all is fine. No radio in my car. I would consider this minimal and may not be enough if you do a lot of idling below 1000rpms. Adding a standard radio should not add much draw, but if it also has a high powered amplifier, the above may not be enough. You may want to consider a larger amp alternator and/or a higher alternator drive ratio.

The one wire alternator is a simple installation. You simply only hook up the one large wire that goes to the battery. You can also hook up the wire to the red alternator light on your dash, but it is not required for proper operation. All other wires can be removed or taped and tucked out of sight. Remove the regulator and those wires can also be removed or taped and tucked out of sight.

There is no need to go to a $850 alternator. The alternator mentioned by Bill Wells at http://performanceunlimited.com/cob...lternators.html is plenty.

Oh, and just for the record… All this has nothing to do with Superformance, as the thread title may lead people to believe. Superformance sells cars, not powertrains (or alternators). This is an engine installers issue.

Good luck

Craig
Old 07-25-2003, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

E44i5,

Just be sure to get the NON-Flammable type of alternator. My friend's F150 Ford pickup just burned up in his driveway. It had been parked about 15 minutes. By the time the fire dept. got there it was toast and totaled! The flaming Ford alternator strikes again. He's really glad he didn't park in the garage.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 07-25-2003 at 01:39 PM..
Old 07-25-2003, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I actually lucked out. i called the shop that installs the drivetrains for the Superformance Dealer near me. I just ordered an alternator that makes 100 amps at idle, and 205 at highway speed, a kit to eliminate the external regulator, and some larger wire. I was told that it will bolt right in, it will be bigger but should fit and I'm pretty positive this should fix my problems. Thanks for the help today
-E44i5 "Ed"
Old 07-25-2003, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ed,

I would really like to know how this turns out for you. I am thinking about tinkering with my car's alternator.

We have done some experimenting with a Honda alternator...will let you know.

No problem ditching the external regulator...we probably should have ditched it long ago...nothing but grief.

Thanks,

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 07-26-2003, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

David...

Roger your comments on the external voltage regulator. What a disaster! We are again happily installing the one wire 100 Amp chrome alternators and life is good.... as far as engine alternators go.

Ed, no need to make it harder than it is! It you REALLY want to spend $850 for an alternator, give me a call. I think I can save you about $719.

All the best........ Bob

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 07-26-2003, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking Rousch, ROUSCH!!!

I put the Rousch (sp?) 130 amp alternator on my SPF. I think it was 100 bucks if I remember right.

Got it from Dynamic's Mark Dove. It works ALOT better than stock.

Eric