28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fascist webmaster shut me down

This is a sad day. Today, the webmaster at my place of work firewalled me from visiting this forum anymore from the office. No longer will I be able to get paid to visit with you guys. This is . . . un-American! I mean, isn't it my constitutional right to talk about the greatest car ever sold in America? And isn't my employer part of that America? Yes, I know what their arguments would be: It's their office, their computer, their electricity, their payroll . . . blah, blah, blah!

What's a few minutes a day visiting my favorite website? It is therapeutic, and dare I say. . . actually increases my productivity. See how much productivity they get out of me now!

I bet this webmaster fascist drives a Aztec or some other such ugly mutation. I hope his car throws a rod or something.

There is only one cure for this anger I have. . . go drive my car. See ya, I have some healing to do.
Charlie
Old 07-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

There is actually a way around most firewalls and it keeps them from seeing what you are doing

If you get a setup like AOL for Broadband it creates a secure PPP connection that you can surf through...all they see is AOL.

Just a suggestion...I hate when admins have to much time on their hands.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Not looking for a fight here--just one question are you are or you not employed to do a job, a job in which you are compensated for the performance of your task/tasks? Could be your admin/webmaster (Your boss?)takes exception to you surfing over to your favorite website on company time

I don't work in the tech field so I don't know how things work regarding these matters--I work in high end custom home building, but I take real exception when one of my employees is off-site doing his personal business on company time. we are in business for one reason to make a profit, and paying someone who is not on-site while on the time clock costs us---

Think about it---then think about why Tech jobs are leaving the U.S.

If I'm wrong here I apologize--but from what I've read sounds like you aren't supposed to be @CC on company time--

Work sure does suck
Old 07-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to BO DUTCH
Not Ranked     

Gary,

Ya think Charlie just may be a government employee !!
And from Florida no-less !! No wonder they are as screwed up as California !!
------------------------------------------
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Bo
Old 07-31-2003, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I can relate 100% with employes doing personal things on company time,I always thought it was my reward for not smoking,I wish I knew how much company monies are wasted while someone steps out to kill their lungs on the job.Now I am self employed and still take my little "net"breaks ,sounds like your boss needs to loosen up,has he ever had a REAL ride in a cobra ? hehehe Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Can I suggest accessing it through a proxy server? My work also used to filter websites. I have a webserver at my home that I set up as a proxy server (sorry not a public one). There are some public proxy servers out there...you should google for one.

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 07-31-2003, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting topic. This issue has become rather large in corporate America over the last few years as internet access and usage have increased exponentially.

Some studies have shown that businesses lose in excess of $60 billion dollars a year in lost productivity. Counter studies show that blocking personal surfing actually reduces productivity, due to decreased morale.

I guess the bottom line is, there will always be those people who are fu**-offs by nature and will waste time regardless - wrecking it for those of us who are diligent workers, but occasionally do personal surfing.

Side note: for companies that wish to strike a balance, there are some options for limiting personal surfing time rather than cutting it off altogether. See if your IT department will go for that.
- Bill Cosby
Old 07-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I just got out of the IT field....and the thing you have to look at is the way things have changed today versus 20 years ago...computers and technology have allowed us to increase our productivity and response times....if you look at the hours you work you can understand that work is your life many times....you may work 10-12-16 or more hours a day...I watched people take smoke breaks every 2 hours for 15 minutes while I was putting out fires

Taking a 5 minute break to get a sanity check increases your productivity and can also help you work more hours since you don't feel like you are trapped for 8 hours a day.

Locking down the internet can lead to different things...trust me on this usually its an admin trying to show you that he is more powerful than you......IT needs to remember that its a tool not the FBI looking over your sholder...if you aren't getting your work done then thats between you and your boss not me...I had enough to worry about..

You want a report on how much surfing they are doing fine..you take care of your employee.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 07-31-2003, 10:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

90% of the office people I work with are salary. We all have a flexible schedule. Some come in late, early, leave at noon, stay till 9 pm. It all depends on the deadlines of the project your working. It's not at all uncommon for one of the employees to be surfing the net or the REAL ocean waves on any given day.

Miss the deadline for your project and there will be hell to pay though!

Ernie
Old 07-31-2003, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amen, Ernie
- Bill Cosby