Old 08-01-2003, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default I need your thoughts and opinions

All:

Lately I've been more concerned with keeping my Cobra as close to original as possible. It has just recently struck me that I have a 427 kit...with a small block Ford engine. Honestly, this has really bothered me, and I've even tried to cut some deals with some engine builders here lately. I have a 425ci Windsor...pretty mild...485 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque. I built it myself and used the best parts I could...I have about $9000 in it from air cleaner to scattershield. So when you try to sell an engine and try to at least recoup your investment, people frown.

So this is what I need your opinion on...what should I do? Should I keep the small block and try to console myself with the fact that Shelby is putting his 427 cars out now with a 351w option? Should I build a big block and just let the other engine sit in the corner? (This is what I'm leaning towards right now.) Or should I try to sell the engine I have...and start over?

I need some advice...

Thanks,

Brent
Old 08-01-2003, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Well I have a 351W but it does have the 427 firing order. Does that count?

Roscoe
Old 08-01-2003, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

This is the beginning of a joke isn't it ? The second part to follow, right.

Randy
Old 08-01-2003, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the time you account for thermal growth of the cylinder walls and pistons, you'll be right up there at 427 cubic inches. Even if it is a windsor. So the 427 badges on your car are a true indication of what's under the hood. It's the best of both worlds, so leave it how it is and put your money back under the matress .

Mike
Old 08-01-2003, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Brent, I'm not much on "thought" but I'm big on "opinion". Hey, your're bumming me out. "Mild 425 CID Windsor"? So you're telling me that my new stroker is not going to hold my excitement? I even ordered the Pacemaker interface option for my Mallory ignition system in case my heart starts skipping beats during acceleration.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Brent, I re-read your post out of disbelief. Is your side bar still accurate - you haven't installed your stroker yet? If this is the case, you are letting your mind (which has probably been modulated by members of the BB dark side) rob you of a potentially awesome experience. Drop that self-creation into your snake and strut your stuff proudly. Some of us will be very impressed!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, I'm very pleased with the engine. Since I have received my kit, I have set the engine in and ran it...almost daily. I love the sound of that lopey cam. I love the fact that I built it myself, and it didn't come apart on the dyno. :-)

I'm sure that it will have plenty horsepower and torque...I've ridden in and driven several SPF Cobras with stroked small blocks in them.

However, the more I sit and think about the car, the more I want it to be "more" original. I know that I can't ever achieve the authenticity of an original Shelby or even or a new Shelby/Kirkham...but I would at least like to get a little closer.

I've even thought about switching the car to a 289 FIA style appearance so the small block would be the right equipment...Put a roll bar with a support in the passenger side compartment...put 289 badges on it, etc...but my Shell Valley body is too far from the 289's...oil cooler scoop...Lemans fuel cap on the fender instead of above the trunk lid...etc.

I'm really at the end of my creativity/imagination here.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

two thoughts..(1) drive it til it blows and then put in what ya want...or (2) yank it and put it in a street rod, then put in the snake the kinda snake bite power ya want...its only money, right, hehehe.....howeover, it is already 'spent money' that you won't recover so might as well use it one way or the other, but not as a door stop in the garage...bill.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Brent: Ok, now for someone in the BB camp to weigh in.

Everyone is different. Everyone has their own opinions.

SB guys are quick to say " a SB is better than a BB yaddy yaddy yaddy blah blah blah etc.." or that it was the engine CS wanted to put in the 427, should've put in, could've put, would've put in blah, blah, blah." Maybe. But he didn't.

Some take that position because they really believe it. Some take that position because they didn't want to or couldn't spend the difference on a BB 427 and are trying to justify their choice.

A replica is, at least to me, supposed to replicate its namesake. For me the more exact and authentic the better. In fact I just didn't want a replica, I decided I wanted a "REAL" Cobra so a bought a new CSX. Not original but a Cobra non the less.

In short, I understand how you feel and think you are on the right track.

351's are nice. They are fast. They are powerful. They sound nice. But they ain't a 427. Period end of storey.

No matter how you stroke 'em, carb 'em, exhaust 'em they won't look or sound like a BB.

Fact. No 427 Cobra ever was built with a SB. Period. If accuracy in replication is your goal the SBs gotta go. End of storey.

Its not a matter of money if you can afford the change. Its a matter of whats gonna make you happy.

SB's belong in 289 bodys. BB's go in 427s. Its that simple.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-01-2003 at 03:05 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I have two options:

1. Nix the small block and build a big block.

2. Try to get the body to look like a 289 body. Not that anyone would notice the small differences...but I would, and that's what matters. My biggest concern would be moving the fuel cap boss to the back of the car instead of the fender. I don't even know if I could rig it somehow with a Shell Valley car. My other concern would be getting the side undercar exhaust right....I'd have to have pipes made...which of course wouldn't exit in the right spot, so I'd have to have the sidepipe holes covered....

This is getting painful.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

well, as one who runs a stroked Windsor (392 ci) in a 427'ish looking Replica, i couldn't be happier. Over 60K hard hard miles under the fifth set of rear tires. If someone gave me a "real 427 SO" motor, i would just sell it anyway. Heavy, old engines. Nothing old on my mill but the seasoned block.

But then i am a driver guy, not a showman. My SPF looks like a very authentic SPF. Life is short and unpredictable, so time spent with the hood up is time not spent behind the wheel, out on the open road.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-01-2003, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

You know how much it's going to cost you to get the correct motor under your hood? For what, so some yahoo at a car show will be more impressed with it cause it has a 427. I fully understand the desire for originality, but to me that means you allready have a ladder frame, top loader, jag rearend, halibrand knockoffs, smith's gages, etc. If you have bolt on wheels, a live rear axle, autometer gages; why bother. Enjoy that car for what it is, and if you need more originality, sell it and but another cobra which is more original in all aspects.

Selling a slightly used hot rod motor always occurs at a large financial loss, just keep it for another project later.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default If you decide...

to go with a BB I have a 428 with tune time only runing Webers 428 IDA's with the best components on it including a BB Expansion tank. If interested I will cut a deal with you - just email me at tony@crssales.com if you want pictures. BTW the engine has the following:

Comp Cam Roller Rockers
Weber 48 IDA System on Inglese intake 10 degree Angle
Edelebrock RPM heads
Edelebrock Water Pump
Canton Road Race Pan
Expansion tank
Lakewood Bellhousing
Billet McCleod Flywheel
MSD Pro Billet Distributer
Cobra Lemans Cast Valve Covers or pent Roof's your choice
and more.

Go for the BB and be done with it!
Old 08-01-2003, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Cracker are you trolling for a SB. I smell fish
Old 08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cracker,

You wanting to sell or trade?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

No matter what you do, the vast majority of viewers eyeing your beautiful car won't know or can't tell the difference between a 427 or a 351 anyway.
Bob
Old 08-01-2003, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unless the car isn't fast enough (then go 385 series big block...), why does it matter that a "non-original" Cobra doesn't have a "original" Cobra engine? I agree with Mr. Fixit...
Old 08-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I always support those who strive for excellence in being true to the original design. In that respect, it would have to be a BB.

Ernie
Old 08-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Cheap solution...

Hey...

If you are really concerned about it, just don't open your hood. Really, who cares what anybody else thinks. According to your figures, you already have more horsepower and torque than the average Joe Blow. What you have now is probably worth keeping and using for a while since you've already invested a nice chunk of change. I just rode in a Unique 427SC with a 302 stroked to 338, with 435hp, and it was very nice to drive in. Sure suprised me how quick it was. It's easy to get carried away... Good Luck. If YOU like it, just drive it and have FUN!
Old 08-01-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

I open my hood,
they say "oh, a 427"
I tell them it's a 428CJ, and a kit car, being that I'm not trying to fool anyone.
They then say " well why do you have 427 emblems on the side, aren't you false advertising?"

Makes you wonder how they ever got on the bus??????????????