28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2003, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Do you let people drive your Cobra?

This thread idea came from a reply by David Kirkham on another thread-

"As for your car, I would only spend money on what you want, NOT what someone else wants. Someone else isn't paying for it and someone else shouldn't be driving it. Make what you want and be happy."

So, should we let other people drive our Cobras?

I tend to agree with him, if only from a liability standpoint.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

I let a couple of friends drive mine ... now they're both VERY serious about owning one.

Looking at one in a parking lot, listening to one idle or drive away .. or even riding in one isn't enough wow factor for some - but then again .. if everyone owned one, would it really that special of a car anymore?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only person I would let drive my Cobra is my mechanic and my Father, period.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Brett,

I would be EXTREMELY careful of who I let drive the car. It is very rare I will even get into a Cobra with anyone else...the list is very short. No one cares about your car like you do.

We are very rarely asked for a test drive before someone will purchase a car. Anyone who asks generally doesn't want to buy one anyway. Those who are serious know what they are getting. The liability is just not worth it. Just look at all those threads of street racers being arrested for manslaughter. I wouldn't want to get caught up in one of those.

Also, didn't mean to offend you with my last post. My sister reminded me sometimes humor is funny because it cuts...didn't mean to cut--sorry. How about a shirt or a hat to make up? (You already have a car so parts won't work as a peace offering).

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
I let my wife drive it when ever she wants, hell it's hers also--Also I've let my Dad drive and a couple of close friends--I'd have little problem letting most of the Gasholes drive it if they asked--or some of the other Cobra owners I've met--
Don't really worry much about the liability issue--I'm insured, the car is insured--and as long as I know the other driver, and they have a license and insurance--I figure why not.

I've owned other performance type cars and have let others drive them over the years, as long as I trusted them and knew them well enough to hand over the keys.

Maybe I'm too trusting or blindly naive
Old 08-03-2003, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have finally ordered my kit and I havent even sat in one let alone driven or riden in one.
I have driven fast powerful cars before so I have some idea of what I am getting, but i will still be in the shed in 2 months time sitting in mine makeing broom broom noises

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone. anywhere,anytime. Last year I had ten guys/gals drive my Cobra. So far this year it's like fifteen different drivers. Most of you guys have 5 or 6 speeds and your wives can't share your fun. With my AOD they can enjoy the thrills that you enjoy. I built my Cobra to enjoy and part of my enjoyment is watching others "feel the experience of driving a Cobra". I don't have a "dark side" , being worried about insurance and bring sued. I encourage peoiple to drive my Cobra and feel what I feel - power and puckering !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John
Old 08-03-2003, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I was in the same boat as you David. I bought my kit without ever driving a Cobra. You can tell just by looking at one and hearing it that you know it's going to be fun to drive.

I've driven a few Cobras since then though. Garrett (justbetter) very kindly threw me the keys to his Blown LS1 Superformance the other week. Trust me you wont be dissapointed by how they drive. Awesome, simply Awesome.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 08-03-2003 at 09:03 PM..
Old 08-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

My wife has driven it, actually she was the first one to drive after it was legal. A really close friend of 30 years has driven it.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-03-2003, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Talking

Gees! what's the big deal? I call my insurance guy and told them that I had two Australians visiting and I wanted them to drive my Midstates Cobra to the DVSF II. They asked if they evr had any hi performance driving experience. I said Hell yes..One of 'em is a sprint car driver!. They saw no problem and niether did I. I'm pretty certain those Ozzies had a good time. I know I dii by just watchin them.

Hersh

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 12-11-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My life long buddy drove it about two miles , and was wise enough to keep his foot out of it, when he pulled over he was shaking so badly he couldnt loose the belts. he had a lot of respect , and I knew that before I gave him the keys.

the rest of my pals have chided me a bit for not tossing them the keys, but I dont fancy being a passenger for some first time rocket ship drivers..........for their sake and for my sake and maybe for the sake of the innocent bystander.

I have also noticed over the last few years that the Cobra wrecks reported every four or five months often come at the hands of "freinds"who decide to feed her some gas in the middle of a left hand turn , maybe like they used to do in their camaro or mustang.............any way I dont want to be morbid , just dont think its worth it.

KK
Old 08-03-2003, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

It is just a car!
I have let a few of my friends drive my car(s). I would do it again. They in return have offerd theirs for me to drive.

As for riding in my car while someone else driving it? I prefer to be there.

Much easier on the nerves to supervise the driver if I am there to make suggestions. Besides not likely that someone is going to pull a stunt in your car with you sitting in it!

Do you really want to buy one of these cars without driving one?
We have folks wanting to drive a $50,000 Corvette before they commit to it, and how odd is that they can't be trusted with a $30,000 Cobra?

TURK
Old 08-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I let people drive my Cobra, but I admit it's a short list.

Like "John-Tucson" said, I get a LOT of enjoyment from sharing the car. Spreading the joy! One of the Gasholes was over here on business some time ago, I never gave it a second thought, tossed him the keys and away we went! Seemed like the "aloha" thing to do.

My son (now 14) has driven it many times (along with every other car I've ever had). He's real good with a stick shift. Some close friends also (OK, only two). Mostly people are to intimidated to WANT to drive it, lol.

I'm actually LOOKING for just the right person to drive it in an SCCA "cone killer" event. Why? I want to SEE the Cobra run, I want to be the one taking pictures for a change! What does it look like? That has GOT to be awesome to see a Cobra twisting through the cones at speed! I've NEVER seen that! No other local Cobra owners will run theirs at the track.

I hope to get the Hawaii Racing School teacher to run it for me one day. But he's worried about "liability" issues, guess I can't blame him. Oh I've had plenty of "volunteer drivers", LOL, but it's tough to find the right man for the job!

Ernie
Old 08-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I've let seven people drive my car so far, and can think of a few more I'd trust. Nobody's ever hammered it through the gears, although I did feel uncomfortable on one ride down a road I didn't know. It's such a fun car and such an awesome experience that I enjoy sharing it with my friends (and wife). Nobody's ever asked to drive it, either; they've all accepted my offer to drive.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hersh - I bet you didn't tell your insurance guy that I was going to drive it with my eyes closed.....

I look back at that holiday, and it's all still like a dream. How many families would allow two strangers into their home for a couple of weeks and offer an unrestricted use of their Cobra - and not some wimpy little drive around the block either. Try Arizona to Ohio !!!!!! Amazing stuff, and a holiday to treasure for a lifetime. You're something special, Hersh!

I'd let Scott drive my car, but he can't reach the pedals....
Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I also have thrown the keys to a few friends and have had them handed back without a ride (twice). They were affraid of hurting the car or getting in trouble. I pointed out that their concern was the reason I felt good about them driving it and both did go for a spin , their grin was worth a million.
I had the treat of handing the keys to an ex- Shelby employee through the 60's and is now a family friend. He owned several big block cars and has some great behind the scenes stories.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also have thrown the keys to a few friends and have had them handed back without a ride (twice). They were affraid of hurting the car or getting in trouble. I pointed out that their concern was the reason I felt good about them driving it and both did go for a spin , their grin was worth a million.
I had the treat of handing the keys to an ex- Shelby employee through the 60's and is now a family friend. He owned several big block cars and has some great behind the scenes stories.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wife can drive when ever she wants. Let a good customer of mine drive it and when he returned threw me the keys to his new Boxster. Asked some people if they would like to drive it and they said no put they would love to go for a ride.

My favorite thing to do is catch people in parking lots taking pictures of the car, and then go up to them and ask if I can see their camera and ask them to get behind the wheel so I can take a picture, nothing like making a total stranger smile from ear to ear.

I think I get just as much pleasure from watching someone's face light up driving it as I do driving it myself.

Jim
Old 08-04-2003, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Craig, You know I can't wait til you guys get to come back over.
I sure missed your company on the trip to the last Fling. Maybe you guys will get to come back for the DVSF IV.

Jeff, I gotta tell ya, when you start that beast of yours, It scares me! I mean sh!t yer pants kinda scarry. I have never driven a car with that much HP. So bein' a little nervous would be natural.
I'll just stick with my measly little 400HP and be happy!

Hersh
Old 08-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hersh,
Who you kidding, I think you have a NASA # from the rockets you pilot. But thanks and why haven't you gone for a spin in my Toy? I will order another drum of go juice today!
P.S. Sorry for the double post. must have been chewing gum at the same time as posting