S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Old 08-05-2003, 07:58 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Question Do you drive your Cobra at night?

Around here, at this time of the year, it's almost the only tolerable time to drive the car. The day is just too freaking hot.

If you do, how do you deal with the glare from the dash-mounted mirror? I just point it down and whenever I wanna see directly behind me, I lean over and look into the mirror. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a "night mode" like most mirrors.

I'm asking this for a very specific reason which involves an idea that I have for reducing the glare.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

All the time. I just turn the mirror away and it doesn't bother me. I don't do any canyon/mountain driving at night though. Just toodleing around.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Driving at night? Just did. Nothing better than driving an open car on a warm San Joaquin summer night.

Funny thing--the Raydot convex mirror I use in the middle position is actually tinted a bit and cuts way down on the glare--no need to turn it away.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've driven mine a few times past midnight. I only noticed glare once or twice, and I just moved the mirror to get rid of it.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i have a racing convex mirror from Pegasus racing, not only does it give me a panoramic view all to my rear and sides, so i don't have to swivel my head to check to the right, it also doesn't reflect much glare at all, i am not sure if because it is coated, or if the convex reflective surface spreads out the light so by the time it gets back to your eyes, it is much reduced. I think it is essential for street driving, i can see whatever is around my car. My mirror is on a taller base too, so i can use it when my top is up. it is about 2 inches by 6 inches. i wouldn't want to drive without the security of it.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-06-2003, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 460 Crate
Not Ranked     

EZ (and cheap!) fix:

Go to local auto parts store and find the aisle where the ricers can get all there stickers, decals and other assorted crap. Look for a roll of the narrow windshield tint (the kind that goes across the top of the w/s to reduce glare. Should be no more than $5.

Take home, disassemble the mirror and cut out an appropriate piece. Use an exacto to make it nice. Apply it to mirror w/ same directions given to apply the film on the w/s (usually spray some water and squeegy it after affixing).

You will have a tinted mirror that you can still easily see traffic during the day, but at night, the tint is enough that you're poor eyes will not be in pain and seeing dots everywhere you go. You still will have the "authentic" look too.

BTW, you'll have 95% of your roll left over, so help your Cobra friends out and hand out pieces of the roll for them to do the same!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:39 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Night time, day time, whenever. I've always just tilted the mirror away, but thanks for the good ideas, Hal and Dior.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

As was mentioned earlier I prefer night driving because of the heat of the day. This July has been exceptionally hot and dry. The wife and I like going down in some of the valleys were the temp will fall 20 degrees from the top of the hill to the bottom of the valley or driving along Riverside Drive and catch the breeze off the river. I too tip my mirror down to divert the glare but I also have a convex mirror mounted at the top of my windshield that allows me to see most cars around me.

I would like to have a wider and less convex mirror I could mount for racing.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-06-2003, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Terrilbe dazzle for me at night, I could not understand why it is so much worse in the Cobra than any other car I drive. Then I realised how much lower the cob is than a Grand Cherokee!

Like most folks, I just tilt the mirror away.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Driving at night is great. I've replaced the headlights with halogen (sp?) units for more light. The only down-side to night driving here in the country... bugs! The Cobra windshield and front end gets covered in bug remains!

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Night is my favorite time for driving it, actually. Instead of pointing the mirror down I've found that, by pointing my right foot down, the glare is substantially reduced in just a couple of seconds.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I'm looking forward to driving it at night. Some of the nicest drives I can remember were on warm summer nights. Darkness, warm air, stars in the sky and everything is quiet- except, of course, for the sound of the music coming out of your exhaust

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-06-2003, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Well put Chap. I love my stereo side pipes especially when you roll through the gears and let the engine back off for a brief second before you shift. OH WHAT MUSIC IT MAKES.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Dior55

EZ (and cheap!) fix:

Go to local auto parts store and find the aisle where the ricers can get all there stickers, decals and other assorted crap. Look for a roll of the narrow windshield tint (the kind that goes across the top of the w/s to reduce glare. Should be no more than $5.

Take home, disassemble the mirror and cut out an appropriate piece. Use an exacto to make it nice. Apply it to mirror w/ same directions given to apply the film on the w/s (usually spray some water and squeegy it after affixing).

You will have a tinted mirror that you can still easily see traffic during the day, but at night, the tint is enough that you're poor eyes will not be in pain and seeing dots everywhere you go. You still will have the "authentic" look too.
BTW, you'll have 95% of your roll left over, so help your Cobra friends out and hand out pieces of the roll for them to do the same!
Rather than disassembling the mirror and not being able to reassemble it, I just cut the tinted material to fit my eyes. Use an exacto knife to make it fit nicely. No need to spray your eyes during and after the installation as they will be watering quite nicely after installing the film.. And it goes without saying to be extra careful with the exacto. In about a week you should be able to see again and drive at night.
Another option is to adjust the mirror so it reflects right back into the windshield of the car behind you...

Old 08-06-2003, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Driving at night is the best. Especially on twisty mountain roads. During the day, you have very little warning that there are oncoming cars. At night, their headlights give much more advance notice. Unfortunately, deer are not equipped with headlights and you have to really watch for them.

I usually do not allow cars to remain directly behind me very long. The mirror is not a problem.

Looking forward to our November Rally to Laughlin. Fourteen hours of driving, probably half at night. See: http://carzero.freeservers.com/itn3-fly.htm

Paul
Old 08-06-2003, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Casaleenie,

I got the old ones out - what do I do next?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

My "VOTE" is for Snakeeyes "RIGHT FOOT SOLUTION" to this problem....best one I've heard yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by EarlsflyinCobra; 08-06-2003 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

everything is quiet- except, of course, for the sound of the music coming out of your exhaust
hmmm Mike --- Is that the car exhaust or your personal exhaust?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

With all these night drivers, we should arrange local night cruises. Thanks for the replies, guys. Your information will prove useful.

If I could actually have a single day during which it doesn't rain in the late evening/night, I might actually take a another night drive myself. It has rained every evening or night for the past week and a half at my house.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by JWheaton

hmmm Mike --- Is that the car exhaust or your personal exhaust?
All I can say is thank God for the open cockpit which allows you to hear one exhaust note very well, but hides the other equally well

Keith- We've had so much rain this week that parts of NJ are having mudslides. Watching the news you'd think you were looking at CA

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."